• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

my parakeet has a black spot on his beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiffyboo85

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,

My parakeet has a black spot on his beak. He has had it for nearly a month now and am wandering what it could mean. He is acting fine, vocal and energetic as ever. just the black spot bugs me. I switched his food a few weeks ago, Im wandering if it is that. If not what could it be. Thanks

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hello and welcome to Avian Avenue! Is it possible for you to post a photo?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Diet deficiencies can cause discoloration of the beak. How long have you had him, how old is he, and what is his complete diet? Also, what type of toys does he have to play with? Is it possible there is a break there?Has this always been there or is it something new? Sometimes an old injury might look dark. The beak is constantly growing and flaking off though, just like your fingernails. Though it might take a while for an injury spot to grow out it it is near the cere.

Last edited:

ThatDarnBird

Rollerblading along the road
Is it possible that he has a puncture, maybe from a bite by another bird, on his beak?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a picture would really help....sometimes a dietary deficiency will cause this..are you feeding a good seed and or pellet ALONG WITH plenty of fresh veggies etc? also hormones sometimes cause the beak to change color...and could he have bruised it somehow??

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
How old and how long have you had the budgie?

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
My cockatiel got a black spot on his beak from hitting it too hard on a window. It bruised but he was fine. Has your budgie hit anything recently?

tiffyboo85

thanks for all the replies. He hasn't hit anything that I am aware of. he is a very active and very talkative bird. I have had him for almost a year. he is 3 years old. (I got him from my grandmother when she passed away from cancer.) I am going to get him back on his regular parakeet food. 0423121722.jpg 0423121739.jpg
sorry about it not being clear. I only have a 2 mega pixel camera on my phone.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Making sure that he's on a proper diet is really key to his health. What sort of food are you switching him back to?

To me it looks like he bonked his beak on something, if it's a bruise then it will gradually heal. Do you have an avian vet near you that could give him a once over?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Looks to me also to be a bruise. Any peeling or cracks there? No smell to him like an infection or decay right? The picture is alittle blurry but looks like a bruise. I agree with Jenny though, a trip to the vet for a routine exam will never hurt.

ArloDuncan

Real Name
Steve
I agree with Jenny and Sarah it sure looks like a bruise! But he sure is a real handsome boy! :)

Cinnyluver

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Ana
It looks a lot like my tiels beak when he was bruised. I didn't think he had hit anything either but even bumping it on a perch or falling can bruise it.

tiffyboo85

Thanks for the input. no he doesnt smell at all. it could be a bruise. He loves to make his bells ring in his cage i wonder if something on the inside of it transferred to his beak. Then again it could be a bruise. Im changing him back to parakeet food from walmart for 5 dollars. it has all sorts of colors in the container his stuff he is on now doesnt have the red blue and green seeds he loves. His name is Beaucoo, and I can't get enough of him. He is always happy and talks up a storm. My grandma taught him how to say peter piper picks a peck of pickled peppers. She also had gsn on all the time. So he says password, whats the password alot too. Lately he has been getting them mixed up and has been saying peter piper picks a password? LOL, it makes me laugh every time i hear it.

tiffyboo85

as for an avian vet i dont know if there is one around me. I live a hour away from a major town both ways. Ill have to call around and find out.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Not really sure, but if he has knocked his beak on something it could be the result of a bruise as already stated.

You really want to avoid buying seed from the supermarket, it is cheap and therefore usually full of unhealthy junk. We could help you find a good bird store online to get a good seed mix if you want? Where are you located?

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
[
good sex mix if you want?
[/QUOTE]

What kind of mix Renee.:hehe:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
He looks lovely! I agree, please do not use walmart food. I can't tell you how many birds I have heard of that declined and did not make it due to cheap food from there. The colors are artificial. I would use something like Volkmann's, or something in that caliber. Some fresh fruits and veggies too every day. Budgies usually love nice wet greens clipped in their cage.Perhaps he would take to some pellet crumbles like TOPS or Harrison's .Maybe a bit of egg occasionally. We have a section on nutrition, or you could start a thread in the budgie section and people could give advice what their birds like.:)

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month

good sex mix if you want?

What kind of mix Renee.:hehe:
Oh my gosh!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: :o:

You see, this is what happens when you have a Cockatiel *cough*Jack*cough* jumping on the keyboard.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
You are much better off changing him to Hagens seed or something else....Walmart is not the greatest...You can buy good quality seed in a pet store....but you also need to supplement with fresh veggies etc..put some broccoli corn even scrambled eggs in his cage or in a dish....he will love it!! and it does look like a bruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.