• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lutino tiel died

markompopovic

Moving in
Thanks to all.

I cant get her out of my head... but now as we remember all things with her its obvious that she was weak health from beginning. My brother got her from some seller on the vegetable market (Yes thats how most people got birds here). One nail was always missing, never grew back, she was possibly hatched that way. But she ate from our hands from day one. On her first time of the cage, weeks after she looked all around room from cage, she broke her beak, just the tip so it didnt complicate. One thing that i remember is that whenever she was flying more than two three rounds across room or to the other room, she was always panting, heavy breathing. I read a lot and knew all seed diet was bad for her, but looks like she got used to seed allready. We try everything, even after a day of no seeds she would not eat anything else. And she ate only oat and sunflower seeds, of course she liked bread, chips, flips. Not vocal a lot, only flock call us when shes alone or when hungry. Also she sleeps everywhere in the cage, bottom, feeder, perchs. Both legs or on one leg. I allready said in other posts that somehow after every egg laying she got weaker and weaker, little less self then before. One time almost died.

Last year around this time we bought new furniture. She was cowardly bird so her lack of flying and cage bound prescribed to new stuff. But over the year strenght never got back, she was afraid to jump from finger to cage from 10cm. She get out of the cage only when see us eating, and quick looking to get back. Napping almost all the time. I think she even not molted right. Didnt remove broken wing and tail feathers, also soft feathers was peaking under her wings and tail. And didnt clean herself as before. Also this was usual behivior when ever she was going to lay eggs. But i thing she didnt lay an egg for more then a year, even if she was "clicking" in the cage with tail up. She even sleeps on one leg day or two before she died.

From many posts i read about similar symptoms, it has to be some kind of kidney trouble that was slowly killing her over the years.

I feel devastated cause there is no vet that could helped her in 200km from here. And even if i got her to Belgrade i dont know if they could help, cause of lacking of Avian vets.

She was not my first bird, we got budgies and a tiel when i was really young. Tiel died from bugs after week at our home, most likely she got like that to us. Later i had two more budgies, one died form no visibly reasons and other we got after that one lived with us for a couple of years and died when i was on college. Then we nursed little sparrow. She was with us for 6 month tamed fully, but one day my father didnt see it on the floor. Only two days after that tragedy we got this beautiful lutino tiel Cupko, which mean Curly and its male name.

Most likely we will get another bird, but i dont want to look for her in other bird. I always liked cockatoos or african greys but they are too expensive. Maybe we get tiel again or ringneck, this time hand fed from good rasiers.

Again thank you all for support, means a lot. Im even hard to eat cause im expecting her to run to me to beg for food.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
A seed only diet plus egg laying equals a bird who is extracting calcium from body to make up for lack of calcium from diet.

Your methods of trying to get her to eat healthier probably not the best methods... The majority of my birds came from other homes (aka well into their adult years - not a young bird), many of which came to me eating a seed diet. Although I do have one bird who likes to be picky, they all eat a varied diet.

Panting after exercising can be an indication of lack of exercise. The more they build up their muscles and increase stamina, the longer they can fly for before getting worn out.

New furniture can sometimes be dangerous. Places may spray the furniture with chemicals to make it "water proof" or deter bugs. This, in turn, can be harmful to birds.

It may be a great idea to browse this forum and learn as much as you can prior to getting another feathered companion.

Bird Safe Fresh Foods & Toxic Food Lists & More | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Converting Parrots to a Healthier Diet - Tips | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
A really unknown one but I try really hard to not have any pressed wood or particle board in the house. All my furniture is real wood & from 40 years to over 100 years old.
My 100 plus yo bed is cast iron. Bedroom furniture ashwood from the 50's. Piano is from the 20's & real wood. ITs really important in my opinion not to get the ikea or cheap furniture as it could endanger your health.

I may have some in a picture frame or I have one tall bookcase which could have it but its over 30 years old & may dissapate with time.

It contains glues & most likely formaldehyde. It can cause illness, breathing problems & cancer in humans so bet its worse for birds.
New homes wall are likely to be made from it. I just saw a big multi family townhouse units going up & the walls are pressed board.
Used alot in trailers & could even be in paneling.

Dangers of formaldehyde lurk in everyday products | Fox News

Last edited:

markompopovic

Moving in
She always had cuttlebone, minerals and vitamins in water. Even last couple of month i was letting her to fly to cage from short distances. But as pellets and fruits we tryed everything, she saw us eating wanting the same bit then just touch it with beak and leave it. But still i feel so bad we didnt get her to eat healtier.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
So sorry :sorrow:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
I am so sorry for your loss.

Bluejayandemmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kara
I'm sorry for your loss:sorrow:

markompopovic

Moving in
Im pressing on many forums for similar symptoms.
So i think now i know all, so i will write them again.

First thing was lack of strenght for flying. This somehow progressed, but it was usual for her to lose strenght after moulting or egg laying.

Bad tail and wing faethers, thick and broken. I thouth this was reason for lack of flying. She doesnt molted right, only around head. Broken bad feathers remainded there after at least two molds. Another thing is lack of down feathers. They just peaked on both sides of where tail starts like two dust cleaners. Didnt preen them, and it was like this for at least a year. When i pluck it off she was screeming so i didnt do that no more.

She are normal, asking for food.

Last two times all of mating rituals and usual behivior was there, but no eggs laying as we recall for at least year and a half.

She was sleeping almost all the time. Cage was always open, and when she get out she was getting back in quickly to eat or sleep. She was sleeping from begining on bottom, on feeder, different perches on both legs or one, head tucked or just closed eyes. Sometimes she was sleeping holding on cage with one leg, but this was also from the time we got her. She even sleeped on one leg day before she passed.

Sometimes she was pooping but no poop get out. Also it was some kind small, sometimes watery but this was also from the start.

My thinking is that it was weak genetics, cause she was bought from flee market. Weak health. And it was probably kidney trouble or tumor that blocked both poop and egg production. And bad seed diet. She was so picky even didnt eat millets. She was interested to try but not eat, just throw it from beak.

All this symptoms were lasting for at least year, year and half.

Also i must say again i have no access to the vet, nor that we have any avian vets in the country.

I feel better now, ill post some of her pics on this great forum.

Fly free u will be always missed.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Again, my deepest condolences for your loss.

I feel better now, ill post some of her pics on this great forum.
I know we'd love to see pictures of your little angel...

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I am so sorry for your loss. May your little one fly high and free looking over you :sorrow:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
She was a beautiful girl.

It's hard to estimate her age, but I'm thinking that she's an adult- at least a year or two old...