• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My lutino tiel died

markompopovic

Moving in
Hello to all, im so sad that my first post in this forum is about passing of my tiel friend.

It all started at the end of 2009, when we got her. I was reading a lot about birds, and we decide to buy a male cause of possible egg problems. Couple of months later "he" laid first egg. She was good bird but somehow passive, not curious. All that she liked was to be with us and schraching her neck. Wasnt afraid of hands either. Problem was with eating, she only ate seeds. There was no chance she will eat vegies or fruits, we tryed everything. She was scared of toys, and new stuff. Liked to chirp to us when we are not in same room or coming home from work. Also she was chasing us through rooms. Her cage was open almost all the time. Trouble is that i live in small town with no avian vet, thats also problem in all Serbia. Vet here doesnt know to treat dogs or cats.

First time of trouble we had on her second or third egg batch. One egg stuck and bird started to lose strenght, stopped eating and start to fall. I put her warm bottles, heater and started massaging her in bathroom with hot shower mist to lose her up. We thouth she will never get to the morning but she laid that egg. After that she was normal.

Year ago she didnt fly no more, little by little. But otherwise acted normal. From the time we got her she slept on any perch, bottom cage, feeder on both legs or one. When ever she got stool trouble little coal would help and in a day shes back to normal. I was puting vitamins to water too, minerals in food and always she had cuttlebone. Her cloak was dirty and little swollen. She didnt change feathers as usual and didnt remove broken ones. Also she didnt pluck her soft faethers so they peaked under wings. Stool was kinda slimey and long sticking from cloak until she clean it.

Also she was sleeping more during the day, head tucked in back. Two days ago when come home from work i noticed watery stool like someone pour water on bottom of the cage. She was eating and drinking normal. Turned on heater, put some hot water in bottles and it looked like she are going better again. But as i turn light off and go to bed i noticed her on bottom on the cage with wings dropped down. Now she doesnt want no more food or water. Started some heavy breathing with noises. Stool now is some whitish liquid. Finally some bubles starded coming from the nose and she died minutes later.

We buried her today under some tree in forest.

Im devasteded that i could not help her. No vets capable of helping her. I miss her sound, her jumping from cage when she see us eating. I miss her twisting her head with my finger while screaching her. I dont know how old was she when we got her, but this was wonderfull 7 years. Im too sad to post her pic or video.

May we meet again.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:sorrow:
Very sorry

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:bighug:

markompopovic

Moving in
Thank u all for kind words.

Does anyone know what happend? From lenght of decaying ill say it was something chronic like cancer or live, kidney trouble. If it was infrction or egg binding she will not have lived this long.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry for your loss, you gave her a good life and did what you could.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am very sorry for your loss

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I'm so very sorry for your loss.:sorrow:It was obvious from your post you loved her very much, and she loved you. I'm sorry I can't help you figure out what was wrong with her, but maybe someone else here will have some thoughts. It does sound like you did all that you could for her. Big hugs.:sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm very sorry for your loss of your baby. May she fly high and free of illness and pain.

It has to be very difficult to live with a bird and no vet help. It's hard to say was wrong with her without the help of a vet. But remember she loved you and you her and you gave her a good life.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I'm sorry you lost her but at least she was with you to the end and knew she was safe and loved:sadhug:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sorry for your loss. :(

Without a necropsy (animal autopsy), there's no way to tell what she died of. It's possible that her liver was bad, which resulted in an infection (bacterial or fungal). It could also be any other number of causes.

Birds can live a long time being sick or even egg bound. Rare, but it happens. I've heard of 3 female birds now that created eggs but then never laid the eggs and the eggs became calcified inside their bodies. One vet described one of these eggs like an over-cooked hard boiled egg.

markompopovic

Moving in
Thank you all.

Its still hard but little easier. Im so sorry that maybe vet could help. But we thouth that all symptoms was from new egg batch. But now as i recall she didnt lay eggs for year and half at least. This was so sudden, it was not first time that she got watery stool, she was fine cleaning her cloack after eating some seeds. But after i turn light off, she started to lose strenght.

This was not our first bird, but dearest. I even dreamed her last night.

markompopovic

Moving in
Now i heard that my cousins budgie died too. Also there are problems with other birds in town. Is it possible that its something they got from us? For my bird i dont think so, she was not same for last year.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Could be a coincidence.... or maybe contaminated water???

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I am so sorry for your loss.

Fly Forever High, little one...