• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My German Shepherd has a tumor :-(

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Sending thoughts and prayers all will turn out well for Rex.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry about your dog. Sending positive thoughts your way for him.

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
((hugs))

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
My nephew has a German Shepherd that I met this summer. He is in Colorado and I'm in Kansas so I don't see him too often. But that dog has a soul, I swear. She is beautiful and so intuitive and empathetic.

Enough about me, I pray that REX will get well soon and pray the tumor is benign. Hugs to you as well. Stay strong.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Jodie, you're right. There's a depth to these dogs that I haven't experienced with other breeds. They watch your every move and even anticipate your actions. You feel as though they can read your thoughts at times.

Last night Rex slept more comfortably and wasn't licking the mass all night long. I just wish it would magically go away.

Ziggy Stardust

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jodie Reed
My Lab had a growth on his jaw.It was necessary that his lower jaw be removed and now we have radiation treatment once a week.It's a very trying process.Good luck.
Oh my. I hope your lab will get better. How is he doing with the radiation. Poor doggy. Hugs to you and your brave dog.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
My Lab had a growth on his jaw.It was necessary that his lower jaw be removed and now we have radiation treatment once a week.It's a very trying process.Good luck.
So sorry.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
John, that also happened to one of my German Shepherds. However her growth (osteo sarcoma) was so invasive we had to make the difficult decision to give her peace.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
John, that also happened to one of my German Shepherds. However her growth (osteo sarcoma) was so invasive we had to make the difficult decision to give her peace.
Is osteo sarcoma Bone cancer? I had to give my beloved Jed peace 8 years ago from bone cancer.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yes it is. However it can metastasize anywhere within the body. My girl actually had it in her mammary glands which we had removed, but six months later it attacked her jaw with a vengeance. I'd discovered Nadja's jaw mass on exactly the same day that I discovered Rex' mass. 6 weeks later she was gone. So this whole mass discovery thing is hitting me especially hard, just based upon its eerie timing.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I feel your pain for sure. I will keep positive thoughts and prayers for your Rex.

kannon

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
john kannengieser
German shepherds are my favorite dog and my parents had one named Rex when I was a child.In one of those events that can't be explained,my dog Rex saved me from bullying in the 2nd grade.Seventy years ago,I lived in quiet place in Brooklyn NY.My parents let our dog run loose,not uncommon in those days.One day when I was being bullied,I threatened my adversaries that I would bring my big German Shepherd to school to get them and who shows up in the school yard but my dog.Never happened before or ever again.I was never bullied again as well.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
That's a great story. They really love their people and will defend them when needed.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thank you, everyone. I will. Hope to have the biopsy results in by Wednesday. Once I have those in hand, I will schedule his surgery.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just spoke with Rex' vet, Dr. Bone (I know. Don't laugh!). She said that all his bloodwork came back normal, and that the mass biopsy came back as being bacterial. This means that either the biopsied capsule of the mass contained bacteria, with the needle not actually hitting the mass itself, or that it's a huge mass of infection. She said needle biopsies are 70% accurate. We'll be moving forward and having it removed next Monday, with a more thorough biopsy of the mass afterwards.

I'm guardedly optimistic that Rex could be okay! Thank you, everyone, for all your support and prayers. Please continue to keep him in your prayers this Monday. I'll keep you posted once I receive the final biopsy results.

Jeddy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Wow bacterial. Poor Rex. Here's hoping it is just bacterial. Good news the blood work is normal also.

Positive thoughts for Rex.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
So happy with the preliminary results looking good. Hopefully the pathology results will be good when they remove it :hug4: