• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My German Shepherd has a tumor :-(

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Rex, my beloved ~10 year old German Shepherd, has a huge firm mass over his chest bone. His fur covered it up very well, so I hadn't noticed it until I heard him licking himself a lot throughout the night last night. When I was giving him a bath this morning, I immediately felt it, so now I'm in a panic, fearing the worst. It grew quickly, so I'm fearful that it could be a cancerous growth.

I have a vet appointment at 2. Praying for the best, but not feeling very hopeful that this will turn out to be benign.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
You're in my thoughts! I went through much the same thing with my 14 year old schnauzer about a year and a half ago. Only he had an anal gland tumor that was deep and ran along his colon so we didn't know about it until it was pretty significant. Fortunately, his surgeon was amazing and Milo had a really good last 6 months with us before the cancer returned in his liver.

I HIGHLY recommend you check out Dog Cancer Supplements + Free Shipping: K-9 Immunity, K-9 Transfer Factor | K9Medicinals.com - specifically their K9Immunity Plus or the cancer support trio. It made a huge difference for him. He felt really good, played again, acted like a healthy dog right up to his last week. So whether the mass is benign or malignant, this immune support will be good!

I really hope things turn out well for your Rex. Keep us posted!!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:hug8:

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Leslie, THANK YOU! If it does turn out to be cancerous, I will definitely get some of these supplements for him.
I'm trying not to think the worst until he's been seen today. This dog is so very precious. He has been the most well behaved, loving and obedient German Shepherd I have ever owned. In my opinion, he's been the absolute most perfect dog anyone could ever have. He's been a dream dog.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Love him even more and spend as much time as you can with him. More importantly, even though you don't know the outcome tell him you love him. I know he'll understand your tone of voice. I'm saying :angel1::angel1::angel1::angel1: and keeping my :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed: that it is nothing serious. :hug8::hug8::hug8:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Leslie, THANK YOU! If it does turn out to be cancerous, I will definitely get some of these supplements for him.
I'm trying not to think the worst until he's been seen today. This dog is so very precious. He has been the most well behaved, loving and obedient German Shepherd I have ever owned. In my opinion, he's been the absolute most perfect dog anyone could ever have. He's been a dream dog.
Cancerous or not, it will help him recover from surgery (if the mass is removed) and keep his immune system strong!! Let us know what the vet says!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cancerous or not, it will help him recover from surgery (if the mass is removed) and keep his immune system strong!! Let us know what the vet says!
Leslie, I will. And yes, he will definitely be needing surgery, one way or the other.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I hope that his tumor is benign.

Matt

kathyth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
:hug8: Will watch this and am hoping for the best. Prayers up!!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Just came back from the vet. She suspects that it could be a cancerous growth. Biopsy was taken, and now I must anxiously wait, which can take up to 4-5 business days to get back the results.
I feel like someone just hit me over the head with a mallet. So unreal.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
:sadhug2:
I'm so sorry. I hope it is very treatable or turns out to be benign. Either way, your pup has some quality time left and you can try to make his life the best you can.

I can tell you, making the last two months of Pete's life as happy as I could after he was diagnosed with bone cancer was just as important to me as it was for him. It can give us a kind of peace to try and make their last months special (even if 'special' is just carrying on as always because that it what makes them happiest.)

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh no, hope it turns out well. Our boxer had a toe removed months ago, due to a cancer tumor :(

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending prayers up that all will be well. Remember, even if it is cancerous (I hope it is not), Hopefully it can be removed with clean margins and he will be fine. :bluhug:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Oh my. My heart was owned by a German shepherd. I have tears right now and I pray yours has a fatty tumor that can be removed easily.

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Tumors don't always turn out to be cancerous, just keep remembering that. Before giving any type of supplements, take it over with the vet to make sure there would not be any adverse affects to anything he will be given.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Clueless, I was hoping it was a lipoma going in, but the tumor is extremely firm, making the likelihood of it being a cancerous growth much greater. I'll wait as (Im)patiently as I possibly can.
He's curled up beside me as I type this. He is my heart.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
GSDs are an extension of our souls. I 100% understand your fears and pain. I lost my older boy to degenerative myelopathy this past year.

Our beloved breed is the best. They make us better than we were, they make our life rich. We take such pride in their beauty, passion and loyalty.

I'll be praying your boy has many more years left, and the lump is benign. Give him a hug from me.