• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel looks to be having a seizure

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
She's had a great day today. Her appetite is back, she's drinking and she's pretty much back to her old self. However, I'm not writing off any of the advice or concerns from everybody here and I shall be hitting the vet with a ton of questions.

@Tiel Feathers thanks for the tip. Her food didn't turn up today so it'll definitely be here tomorrow. I'm going to mix some in with her seed and hope she likes them. I shall give another update tomorrow.

Thanks again for all the help and well wishers :)

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Hello all. Just a quick update on Tully.

She's had her vet visit which she absolutely hated but the vet is very happy with her recovery. He was going to do blood tests but he actually thinks for now it could do more harm than good, purely because of how stressed out she was. He warned me that blood tests can take a huge mental toll on birds like a cockatiel and going on the fact she's recently had a seizure, he ultimately decided against it.

He also said to up her veggies as she needs a vitamin boost, try and get her off a seeded diet and to keep monitoring her but all in all, he's happy she's recovered well. He's booked me back in at the end of next week to give her another review.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad she's doing better. :)

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Happy to hear! Keep improving little girl.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Good for Tully. Take the Dr.s advice to heart. Our captive birds just don't need the high fat diets that their wild brethren eat. Stay away from sugar and saturated fats.

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Her new food turned up last week and surprise surprise, she doesn't like it. It actually smells like bubblegum which I wasn't expecting at all. The pellets are really small, smaller than a pea.

I'm not giving up but she's being as stubborn as ever when it comes to new foods. I also tried her on some veggies, again, she didn't want anything to do with it. I'm going to persist though :)

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
Her new food turned up last week and surprise surprise, she doesn't like it. It actually smells like bubblegum which I wasn't expecting at all. The pellets are really small, smaller than a pea.

I'm not giving up but she's being as stubborn as ever when it comes to new foods. I also tried her on some veggies, again, she didn't want anything to do with it. I'm going to persist though :)
Sometimes they need convincing. Pretend to eat a treat of hers and offer her a nibble. Then you can try it with veggies. You can try soaking her seeds as well and work her up to sprouts.

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Hello all. Just a quick update on Tully.

She's pretty much back to her old self now. She hates the wife except when she's got something to eat and loves me at all times, which is the norm.

She still won't eat her new pellets which is a sod but I'm still persisting with it. Veggies are slowly being introduced but again, she wants nothing to do with it.

I'm so happy she's recovered :)

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Keep trying the healthy foods! Happy to hear she's recovered. :)

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Believe me, I'm trying but she's super stubborn. I've even pretended to eat her pellets to try and spark her interest but she's having none of it. Typical of her to he honest

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
What a sweetie. I'm so glad she got better. I had to take my gcc seed away altogether before she ate the pellets. It didn't take her but a day wth no other choice. You may not want to do that until Tully is 100 percent well. Cheeky eats the zupreem fruit flavor pellets and still picks out her favorite color pellets first. She won't eat any leafy things but loves cooked sweet potatoe, cut corn kernels, green peas, apple, banana, and blueberries. She still only plays with anything else . I used to have a cockatiel that I never got to try anything but seeds. Keep trying different things and hopefully she will find something she likes and get vitamins and minerals from the pellets

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Thanks for coming back and letting us know she is ok. She's looking perky in that photo.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thanks for the update! I'm so glad she's back to her regular self, she's such a cutie!:heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Excellent news. Great that she is back to being herself.