• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My cockatiel looks to be having a seizure

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
How long has it been since she has eaten? If it hasn't been more than 8-10 hours, I wouldn't worry too much about it. If her not eating becomes critical, you can get calories down her quickly with a syringe and blended foods. I wouldn't hassle her with that yet.

After a seizure, they are very, very tired and rather dull for several hours. She needs rest, warmth and quiet right now.

When it comes time to introduce veggies to her - you may need to be more stubborn than she is. Feed her her vegetables in the morning when she is most hungry and don't back down. Some people mix the veggies (chopped up fine) with their regular food and slowly reduce the amount of their regular food.

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
@Hankmacaw I didn't realise that the food wasn't as good as it's supposed to be. I've never tried her on pellets, never really occurred to me being honest. I shall certainly be introducing a change in her diet from now on.

I've tried her on greens before but she just wasn't really interested and ended up ignoring them but I'll try her on them again.

In terms of her current condition, she's regained her balance quite well, she's chirpy and such and she's had a small drink but she's still not eaten and it's beginning to really concern me. I may have to buy a small syringe, blend some healthy foods and gently feed her until she decides to eat by herself again. That's really all I can think of.
Well when you try to introduce veggies and fruits the best way is to feed them in the morning... And small quantities of seed in the afternoon.. They aré more hungry in the morning so its when they will be more willing to try it also... Try eating the veggies and fruits with her, she will be more willing to try it if she sees you eating it she will try it and decide if she likes it or not...
Baylee used to not like any veggies only banana but today she likes: any bell pepper, strawberry, banana, cantaloupe, papaya, cooked carrots, cooked quinoa, bokchoy, spinach, lettuce (once in a while) and her seeds at 5 - 6 PM

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
@Hankmacaw it's been about 8 hours since she last eaten. I'll buy a syringe tomorrow and get some food down her if she hasn't eaten by the time I'm back from work. The wife is going to be keeping a close eye on her whilst I'm gone in the morning.

I just want to thank each and every one of you who's took the time to comment, advise and guide me through what's happened. I cannot thank you enough.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
@Hankmacaw would you suggest feeding something like baby food in a situation like this? Beech-Nut (in jars) has some that are no preservative, and are simply pureed veggies. Something like sweet potato, kale, pumpkin etc to keep her nutrients up?

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Just a quick update.

Now that it's evening here (I'm in England) and approaching her bed time, she's 3/4 covered over and sat in the bottom of her cage. Her balance is 50/50, one minute she's fine, the next she's wobbly again, she's had a little mushy food but not a lot. I've removed all toys and left her one perch in her cage that's been lowered. She also has a soft, flat cushion in the bottom should she tumble.

She does seem somewhat alert and confused, she keeps switching between sitting on her perch and sitting in the bottom. I think the wife is going to stay up an extra couple of hours to monitor her whilst she's covered up completely.

Let's hope in the morning she's improved after she's had a sleep and finds her appetite again.

I'll keep you all informed on her progress.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope your 'tiel will be OK. Monitor her and if she continues not to eat give her some organic baby food or bird handfeeding formula. Hope that you will be able to find a vet and a way to get there if she needs that support and intervention.

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Good morning everybody. Just a quick update.

She's gotten through the night. The wife stayed up with her for an extra couple of hours whilst she was covered over to make sure she was OK. Having checked on her just now before I leave for work, it turns out she's had some food and a little drink during the night and she's looking better today. Her movement is also vastly improved.

After work, I'm headed to my local store to get some organic baby foods for her to eat, mainly veggie type foods and such to give her a boost and keep her vitamins up.

Once again, thank you all for your continued input and help. I'll post my next update once I'm back from work.

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Just got in from work, only a short shift today.

On the way back, I stopped in my local pet store and picked up some millet, picked up her favourite treat (a nutty type treat) and also picked up some organic veggie baby puree. I've also asked the store owner to try and get me some cockatiel pellets.

Upon getting back, she's much, much more lively today. She can quite easily navigate her cage today but she's incredibly clingy. She wants to sit with me and have cuddles at every opportunity. She's had a little nibble at her favourite treat, had a small drink and is currently sitting there all fluffed out looking quite content, dozing in and out of sleep.

A couple of observations is that her poops have gone quite watery. I guess that's to be expected regarding the trauma she had and not really eating/drinking anything yesterday. Another is she still does seem to be somewhat spaced out from time to time. Again, I guess that's expected after her seizure and hopefully will stop happening.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My bird would be clingy and spacey for several hours after a seizure and he would be quite tired, but your bird's symptoms are lasting a long time. Perhaps her seizure was worse than I perceived. If at all possible keep her inactive for longer. Seizures take a big physical toll on people and animals. Food, rest and hydration are the keys now.

With good nursing care she should be fine until her appointment this coming Monday.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Hope she continues to improve. What is her name? I hope you can get some answers from your vet.

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
She's currently sat in her cage eating her treat and having having a preen. She's also been very active since I last posted, not as clingy, not as sleepy. She's been climbing around, eating, drinking, very much like how she always is but we're still keeping a very close eye on her.

@CeciliaZ her name is Tully ☺

Mr. Bets

Meeting neighbors
Hello all, just a quick update.

Tully is continuing to improve. Her appetite is back, she continues to be more and more lively, she's much happier and talkative. She's still somewhat dozy but nowhere near as bad as yesterday.

@Hankmacaw I've invested in some Hari Tropican Cockatiel Lifetime Granules. They should hopefully be here today. Are these any good? Upon reading various reviews, they seem excellent.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm not familiar with the Tropican granules, but several of our members feed this product to their birds and swear by them. I only feed Harrison's for pellets, but then I have a macaw. The one thing I see is it also has sugar in it, but that ingredient is quite a ways down the list.

Don't for get that she will need some vegetables and very, very little fruit. I think that most cockatiel owners use millet as a treat (bribe) and don't feed much of it at all. Feed her veggies in the morning when she is most hungry - maybe mix in a few pellets for awhile until she eats her vegetable willingly.

@Tiel Feathers @Princessbella and any other tiel experts.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - I'm glad that she is pulling out of her seizure well. Maybe it would be good to make some notes of what happened when and how she recovered for the vet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad to hear she's doing better! Hari is an excellent company, and I think those pellets are fine. I tried them with my birds, but they wouldn't touch them. I did have great success switching all of my birds from Fruity Zupreem to Roudybush crumbles recently, so if she doesn't like the Tropican, you can try those. I really like them because they have no sugar.