• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My Big Boy!

Ragu

Sprinting down the street
I didn't know we had a reptile section, and reptiles are one of my fav things in the world...next to birds of course lol! I used to have about 13 reptiles, but my ex got to keep most of them when i left him:(. They are the only thing i miss about him hahaha! But the one thing i absolutely wouldn't let him keep is my baby Leviathan! He is a 5ish y/o rescue green iguana. The most gentle, loving iguana you could imagine! I love him so much! He is so spoiled! He has his own bedroom with MVB's and CHE's basking spots and a pool, with trees and branches to climb, eats all his fav greens twice a day and gets baths in the tub every few days, and of course misted twice a day. He and Ragu are my fav "kids" (shhhhh don't tell the dogs lol). Anyway here is my big beautiful baby Levi!

photo-739.jpg

photo-962.jpg
photo-1140.jpg

3dcaae81.jpg

lolajenday

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Robyn
He's gorgeous! I would love to see some pictures of his room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Wow! He's big enough to be a dog!

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I agree photos of his room would be awesome!

Very pretty boy you have there. He looks very spoiled! :)

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
Wow! He is lovely!:heart: Yeah, would love to see his room!
You two have matching smiles/smirks in the last pic!:hehe:

Ragu

This is his room at my old house, his new room is set up very similar but i havn't taken any pics yet. his pool is a bit bigger now too because he has grown so much.

photo-1236.jpg photo-298.jpg
photo-1465.jpg

This is the closet in his old room that was for a while his "girlfriends"room, she was one of the ones i couldn't take when i left my ex:( They eventually both shared both the room and the closet, but she preferred the closet because i think she felt safe in it. She was an old girl who lived most of her life in a tiny cage, so going from that to a huge walk in closet was a big change for her.
photo-896.jpg

And here is is with one of my dogs sharing Zupreem treats lol (which are great treats for any iguana owners out there, just dont feed too many!) So yes, he is like one of the dogs lol
photo-1141.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
Wow..he is stunning..wow wow wow

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
He's gorgeous! I love reptiles too :)

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is absolutely stunning! He is very lucky to have someone who knows how to properly care for all his needs. Working at the zoo we saw so many with health issues come in.

Ragu

Thank you guys, I love this big booger so much! I need to get some new pics of him because he is way bigger now...i admit i am not much of a shutterbug lol. And Greycloud, i totally get where you are coming from. i work at a small petstore (one of the few that actually cares about animals) and we make darn sure they have the proper care, so we get alot of "drop offs" especially reptiles becasue alot of people do not realize how much they need to stay happy and healthy, and alot of them are in horrible condition when we find them in boxes outside our door in the morning (i hate people!), so we nurse them back to health and one they are 100% again we adopt them out to a good home (or my home lol, thats why i had so many before i left my ex)....i also almost never sell animals (especially reptiles) unless the person is absolutely willing to listen to everything i have to say and buy everything beforehand,and prove to me that they know what they are doing. and in a lot of cases, like our savanna monitor i make people show me the enclosure they have for her before i will even talk about them buying her...so far no one has shown me anything better then a 90 gallon aquarium (she is already 2 feet long) so it looks like she might be one of the "store mascots"...i think we have like, 7 of those now haha. once they get a name, they don't leave!

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
Wow what a gorgeous boy! I love that you have a room for him like that. That's what they need, really.. Most people don't realize that. Baby iguanas are sold at such tiny sizes and then they suddenly grow.. one thing I've wondered about iguanas though.. has he reached maturity yet? I've heard that males especially get super aggressive when they get hormonal.. and that you really have to watch for that tail! Otherwise, I love them. I also love that they're vegetarian so if I had one some day it would eat what my future birds and tortoises eat lol

TwoTinyTrees

Avenue Veteran
He is GORGEOUS! It's awesome how well you take care of him! Youre a good mommy! :D

solo

Real Name
jess
:omg: he is one stunning big boy:heart:

Ragu

Wow what a gorgeous boy! I love that you have a room for him like that. That's what they need, really.. Most people don't realize that. Baby iguanas are sold at such tiny sizes and then they suddenly grow.. one thing I've wondered about iguanas though.. has he reached maturity yet? I've heard that males especially get super aggressive when they get hormonal.. and that you really have to watch for that tail! Otherwise, I love them. I also love that they're vegetarian so if I had one some day it would eat what my future birds and tortoises eat lol

Thank you! Yes he is sexually mature and has been since i got him, he is normally the sweetest boy all year long, which IS abnormal for males. But this past breeding season he was really grumpy because i was in the process of moving and it was too much for him i guess, it lasted almost 5 months (the breeding season i mean), it was a very very long 5 months haha. but he only has about half a tail because he dropped it once before i got him, and another a few months ago. That was my fault and i was horrified! But he didnt even notice! So they very few times he has whipped me with it, i barley felt it. He does whip almost half-heartedly though lol. Its amazing how that is so natural for them to loose their tails and yet so horrifying for us lol. BUT i find it isnt even the tail you need to watch out for anyway, its their bite! They, like a lot of birds, have a very wicked bite (google iguana bite sometime if you have a strong stomach lol). And it is wonderful that he only needs greens and no animal protein. Feeders would be very expensive for a boy his size lol!

moonchild

Avenue Veteran
I love him! And his room!!!
I didn't realize that iguanas could actually be affectionate until I met a big red female named Mushu a few months back. This lizard would close her eyes and lift her head up in the air just waiting for you to rub her head and her dewlap. And she recognized her owners! So much for reptiles being completely aloof. Sure they might not be social animals or truly LOVE you the way a furry or feathered friend would, but there's more to them than people give them credit for.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Love them all!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
What a beauty! I have always been intregued by iguanas and bearded dragons. I had the opportunity to buy a baby beardy twenty years ago and passed it up. I have always regreted it. Now I am sixty I think it is a little late to get reptiles.

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
What a beauty! I have always been intregued by iguanas and bearded dragons. I had the opportunity to buy a baby beardy twenty years ago and passed it up. I have always regreted it. Now I am sixty I think it is a little late to get reptiles.
Well.. if you still want a bearded dragon they live something like 5-8 years. So you're not getting into a parrot-like commitment lol. And they're awesome little dudes!

dwright27

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dawn
I just googled iguana bites... holy moly.. For some reason I didn't think they had teeth lol.. Kinda like my skink. Tough, ridged jaw but no actual teeth. Yikes.