• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More questions.

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
So I again have been reading. I have read a lot of people saying you should really try to buy a pair. Are there any cons to this. Also would you get a pair of the same sex. I really think we can only afford one. But again wanting to do everything right. Thanks again :bhc:

Cassiopejaz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
So I again have been reading. I have read a lot of people saying you should really try to buy a pair. Are there any cons to this. Also would you get a pair of the same sex. I really think we can only afford one. But again wanting to do everything right. Thanks again :bhc:
Getting a pair is always recommended but its depends on how much time you can spend...parrots are very social birds...

Cons? 2 parrots means more mess..need more food..some maybe say sound level..

I would get a pair of same sex..unless u planning to breed..

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Thank you for you’re input. Would they require separate cages. We are going to get a 32x23 dome top cage. Which was the larger of the two options. As we were only plannning on one bird. Just being able to provide more space for more toys. Also can you have one of each. A white bellied and a blacked capped? Both of the same sex obviously. I really think we will only be able to have one. They are just so expensive.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Thank you for you’re input. Would they require separate cages. We are going to get a 32x23 dome top cage. Which was the larger of the two options. As we were only plannning on one bird. Just being able to provide more space for more toys. Also can you have one of each. A white bellied and a blacked capped? Both of the same sex obviously. I really think we will only be able to have one. They are just so expensive.
You can have them in one cage..but i would in some way recommend a seperate..but thats mostly hangs on how well they bond.

I cant see any problem about mixing a black capped and a white bellied...but i never tried so i leave that answer to someone that knows better.

And the bigger cage the better...they will use every inch of it..Jack does..:D

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
So you only have one? Can you tell me about him. We’re are deciding on a baby in the next few weeks. They seem like amazing birds. Just the hormones sound like they can really be a difficult stage.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
So you only have one? Can you tell me about him. We’re are deciding on a baby in the next few weeks. They seem like amazing birds. Just the hormones sound like they can really be a difficult stage.
I have just 1 Caique..i do have 2 parrots..a Meyers Parrot and the Caique wich is a white bellied.

The Caique is a handful..they are playful..but mood can switch just like that...they are amazing birds...i love them..but ofc i love all parrots so i would say exackly the sane a out Meyers and so on.

They are very active...and if they dont get the attention they want..they will make u aware of it..they can be loud.

Well just ask if you wanna know somethibg specific ;)

Last edited:

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
How old is you’re white bellied. Did you have him first? Also what is you’re work schedule like. How much time are you able to give him during the week? Any pictures of him? Thanks again. Jason here btw.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
He is 2 1/2 years old..and no Toby is the first one..the Meyers a lovely but Jealous parrot ;)

I work 2 full days a week so i can spend 5 full days a week with them and when i work my mom checks and keep them company.

Here are some pics of Jack..and i threw in one of Toby to

DSCN2302.JPG DSCN2296.JPG DSCN2327.JPG

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Thank you. He is gorgeous. We both work but our schedules are different so there will be time that the bird will be alone but maybe only for a couple of hours during the day. What kind of cage do you have

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I know my answers to your questions run counter to some others.....

I got one caique on impulse and did not plan to get another. More expense, way more noise etc. But my little girl, now 1 year old needs more attention than we seem to be able to give, even tho we both work from home. So I went on a search for a friend.

I was told a same sex bird would be the ticket but a breeder told me if I wanted them to share a cage do not get another girl. He said when they are hormonal they'll fight. So I went for a boy.

She is much happier now that she has someone to pick on. I mean, preen.

I still would have preferred to have the one but I think her happiness comes into play. She is happier with a bird friend. She tried to be friend with the Pi and the tiels but they are afraid of all that energy.

A few more thoughts....
I would never breed a WB with a BH because I don't like to 'muddy' the species. I will probably never breed anyway, I have plenty of time to decide but will treat it like my other birds that I also don't breed: don't give a nest, remove eggs, separate if necessary.
If you can only afford one that means only get one. Vet bills for one tiny illness or injury can set you back - and what if both birds were ill?
I don't know if this is your first bird but I don't recommend a caique as a first bird. Just speaking from my own experience, she's too hard-headed for a beginner - and I am not one, she still gives me a run for the money.

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Thank you for your feed back. I know that they can be a challenge and I def respect that. We are just beginning the process and want to have as much information as we can get.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
I was told a same sex bird would be the ticket but a breeder told me if I wanted them to share a cage do not get another girl. He said when they are hormonal they'll fight. So I went for a boy.
I agree in what you say..and girl with a girl is a bad idea..we all know how ladies are :D
Joking aside..if you want a pair and dont want to breed..get 2 boys..ofc dont get 2 if you cant afford it..then just get 1..its just a recommendation.

Caique are hard to deal with if you have 0 bird experience, but we are here and always ready to anwer..i had parrots almost my entire childhood..and i still has alot to learn..we learn by doing it

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you have none parrots experience it would be even more important to get two.
I say, get two. That will always be the best. If you need to travel or going away they will always have each other.
And yes, you will have the extra cost of buying two of everything, but besides that it's not so much more job to have two.
To have one is more difficult and will also make you responsible for all things that your parrot need.
A Caique want attention and someone to play with all day long, that will be your job if you only get one.
And they can still be sad and not satisfied because they will always miss interaction with a conspecific.

My advice is to have one female and one male if you want them to be friends and having them as a pair.
If you want them to share cage, get a big one and get siblings, or at least, two young parrots at same age.
To have a pair, doesn't mean that you want to breed them. It's not that easy to breed them.
If you have a pair you will also have very light hormonal bad behavior.
If they can live so natural as possible, they will not start a fight with you.

Last edited:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I know my answers to your questions run counter to some others.....

I got one caique on impulse and did not plan to get another. More expense, way more noise etc. But my little girl, now 1 year old needs more attention than we seem to be able to give, even tho we both work from home. So I went on a search for a friend.

She is much happier now that she has someone to pick on. I mean, preen.

I still would have preferred to have the one but I think her happiness comes into play. She is happier with a bird friend. She tried to be friend with the Pi and the tiels but they are afraid of all that energy.

A few more thoughts....
I would never breed a WB with a BH because I don't like to 'muddy' the species. I will probably never breed anyway, I have plenty of time to decide but will treat it like my other birds that I also don't breed: don't give a nest, remove eggs, separate if necessary.
If you can only afford one that means only get one. Vet bills for one tiny illness or injury can set you back - and what if both birds were ill?
I don't know if this is your first bird but I don't recommend a caique as a first bird. Just speaking from my own experience, she's too hard-headed for a beginner - and I am not one, she still gives me a run for the money.
Great post! :)

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Is it recommended that they share a cage? Also if they only have males available is that not A good idea to get a pair?

Foxstone07

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jason
Also cage size? Thank you all again. This is all very helpful

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Is it recommended that they share a cage? Also if they only have males available is that not A good idea to get a pair?
Its recommended if they get along, and the cage is big.

Ppl have diffrent opinion about the best matchup for parrots..there is no right or wrong if the seller has 2 caiques and both are same age and perhaps siblings..and already are living in same cage then go for it, even if its 2 males...

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't have a caique, but my friend did. She had a 32"x23" for her single caique, which is the minimum, I believe. For a pair, it should be bigger. Maybe 36"x28" or bigger.

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
We were looking at the 32x23 dom top for one.
I would say get bigger..Jack has a cage the size u looking for...and he using every inch of it..and he is alone in the cage..always go big..u can never have to much space...just to little.