• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More questions.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a male wb caique. He is extremely time demanding. I wish I had gotten the female he was bonded with as a baby when I bought him. I made a huge mistake that has no doubt cost him happiness in not doing so.

Whether they reside in the same cage early on, depends on whether the bird is raised and bonded with each other or if you are buying from separate breeders. If they are bonded, I might be okay with it. If bought from separate breeders, I would not, at least until I am confident they will not attack each other caged together. I would NOT put two caiques into a 32”x23” cage. It is much too small. Caiques are EXTREMELY active birds. My bird is in a 48”x30” cage and uses every inch of it. He also has a night cage. If caged together, I would be very cautious and watch their behavior for aggression as they near maturity. Caiques can be very aggressive and cause severe disability to other caiques and other birds. I would be hesitant about putting two males or two females together.

Dont forget that they are wild animals. They were not bred for pet traits, as dogs are. You will need to take this into account as your bird develops and matures, to ensure you meet his/her needs. This includes providing the largest cage possible, the best diet, out of cage time, touching, preening, vet care, dealing with hormonal aggression, screaming, and the constant fight against caique boredom. Plan for this to be a 35 year long relationship that will require dedicated time and care on your part every day.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh gosh. I was about to say that 2nd cage looked great! I think too it depends on the lifestyle / out of cage time. I would like a macaw size cage but...

I have 2 that are young and not bonded. Their (flight) cages are side by side. I put them together for play time but one gets beat up so I separate them. They do pretty well outside of cages together, mostly because they are interested in different things.

I completely agree with @rockybird about the energy level and using all of the cage, and they are demanding. I cannot supply all of the demands of my 1st bird which is why I got the 2nd. It hasn’t helped much, maybe 10%. I thought they would play and wrestle and communicate; they don’t. Even though we are home ALL the time and try to keep them entertained, it is hard.

rockybird

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I missed the cage pic. Those cages are notoriously awful for parrots. The spend most of there time in the higher narrow part. Thus the cage is, for all effective purposes, much smaller.

I think there are some newer larger cages out there. I’ll look tonight to see if I can find some. Here is my boy’s cage. It was pretty expensive but I think there are cheaper ones out there of similar size.

130CDDDA-3DD2-49D9-81B4-62F690309AF5.jpeg 961BFDB9-973E-494B-9314-CF70D2064B08.jpeg

Last edited:

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I don't have two caiques, but my caique (male, ~3) gets on swimmingly with my quaker (male, ~5).

Even still, I do not house them together all the time. They have a large cage - 32'x64'x73' - that is divided in half. I often pull out the divider during the day, but only when I'm home to supervise.

Even though they may get along great, caiques are super high energy and can quickly get on the nerves of their cagemates.

I would plan on having either two separate cages, or a cage that provides adequate space for each bird when divided. Even birds that have gotten along for years can lash out and injure their cagemates.

If you can't afford housing two birds separately, don't get two birds.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
@rockybird What model/manufacture of cage is that? All SS? Still trying to find a new cage myself. Constantly disappointed by quality at every turn. Peeling here, plastic caster there, bent door, ugly welds, rust spot, flimsy materials, etc. I'm getting very close to just building my own cage... I am definitely getting ready to build my own play stand for my new office. Just can't waste my money on cheap products anymore...