• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

More bad news

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
We've got Bentley on the mend. He's only gotten sick once since his surgery and diet change and I firmly believe that was my fault. I feed him some french fries and that night he got sick. Since then I've been strict and he's only gotten his special dog food. No more sickness and he's his normal cheery, bouncy self.

The bad news is with Bella, my other dog. Yesterday morning I noticed a small spot of blood on the carpet. I didn't know where it was from and it was small so I gave both dogs a quick check and everything looked fine. Bella's missing 1/2 a foot and the pad on that foot has grown large to make up for the lack of toes. When we walk/hike in the winter without her hiking booty on, it can get dry and occassionally get little cracks that bleed, so I put some more salve on her foot, a sock to let it soak in and went about my day.

Last night, she yawned and her breath was horrible so I looked inside her mouth and she had some bleeding around the gums. This didn't alarm me too much. She has horrible teeth and bad gums. Bella was in bad shape at the shelter I adopted her from. The staff came in one morning and she was there, in the back yard that has a 12' fence around it, so someone must've thrown her over. She was very skinny, missing the foot, was filthy and extremely skittish of loud noises, fast movements, etc. She was also very withdrawn from people. So the bottom line is she wasn't taken care of well at all.

When I adopted her, they said she was already fixed (which was surprising) and that her foot looked to be a clean cut that didn't need any further medical care. I took her to my vet straight away and she had a physical and a dental because I could tell she had some teeth issues. Sure enough, she had 1 tooth that was 1/2 gone and 1 tooth that was rotted so they removed them and told me she has poor gums. I brush her teeth regularly and give her bones to chew on to help, but her gums bleed everytime she chews on something, even a stuffed animal. Not a lot, just spots of blood and the vets have all said there's nothing to do except have regular dentals and tooth brushing, plus bones to chew on.

So when I saw the bleeding last night, I thought ••••, I haven't brushed her teeth in a few days so I brushed her teeth and gobs of blood came out from her gums, but I still wasn't alarmed. I thought I would check them in the morning and if they're still bleeding, we'll go in for another dental. I made a mental note to tell the vet that she's been a 'little mopey' since this weekend but that it could be attributed to our bad weather and her walks not being as long as normal.

Well, this morning, I woke up and realized that Bella hadn't woken me up at her customary 2 to 3am pee time. I got out of bed and noticed blood smears all over the carpet by the bed, where Bella sleeps if she's too hot to sleep on the bed. I could tell they were smear spots, like where she laid her head or rubbed her face so I checked her out and her gums were still bleeding, her nose was stained red and her jaw was crusty with dried blood. I called vet and got her in right away.

They checked her out and pulled her eyelids black and saw petechiae on the whites of her eye, under her eyelids and they found petechiae on her belly. So....it has nothing to do with her gums. That's just where the blood is coming out. They took blood and were able to determine it wasn't poisoning. It appears to be autoimmune.

They've taken some of her blood to CSU so they can do a clotting test and check for some tick-borne diseases, cancer, etc., but it's winter here and they said most of the tick-borne diseases that cause autoimmune issues generally present within a few weeks of infection, so it's a slim chance it's tick caused since its the middle of winter. Right now she has NO platelets but has a normal red blood cell count, although they did notice a few abnormal red blood cells. They kept her and sent me home. I can pick her up at 4:30 to bring her home but I have to take her back first thing in the morning for more blood work. I have to make sure she stays calm and doesn't do anything that can cause bleeding. They're going to give her a big dose of steriods (probably prednisone) and some other meds. They won't have the more extensive lab results from her blood back until tomorrow. They warned me we might not be able to find a cause, and if that's the case the treatment is medicine that will destroy her immune system since her immune system is what's destroying her platelets. :( :confused: :( They also warned me that not all dogs respond to the medicine :huh:.

Once I got home, I googled autoimmune, no platelets, dog and had to quit reading. Everything I found was either medical text above my comprehension or people whining about their vets and going back and forth on what the best treatment is, ultimately ending in the dogs death, time after time. I know Lymphoma can be a cause, but I don't even want to think about that.

I left the vet office thinking it would be a lifelong disorder with medicine needed more than likely until the day she dies, with a slim chance the medicine won't work and we'll have to try another avenue. Now, after googling it, I'm thinking it's 50/50 on whether she's going to live or die within the next few weeks :scared6:. This is horrible and I've never dealt with an autoimmune disorder, canine or human, so I don't know what to think :darkcloud:. Obviously I hope she's going to be okay, but I've been reading up about people getting blood transfusions for their dogs that just have to be repeated over & over and their dog dies anyway, making it seem pointless to point them through that pain. I've read all kinds of opinions and none of them seem promising at all. The few stories I can find where people have written about dogs that have a platelet count problem and have had it long term, don't go into details other than "the meds work for my dogs".

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I am so sorry you are going through this! I hope Bella pulls through! :hug8:

senorabarb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barb
I'm sorry that your Bella is so seriously ill. Hopefully, her disease will be treatable by the medicine. :hug8:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thanks. I thought this was going to be a happy day. I adopted Gizmo, the Red Bellied parrot and he's been settling in the past few days. I was excited to start building our relationship. Now I'm just worried about Bella :(.

Hopefully I'll know more when I pick her up at 4:30, but it sounds like we probably won't know if the meds work for a while....I'm afraid it's going to be a waiting game.

P1000054.JPG

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Bella. I am betting Lymes disease. It is many of the symptoms. I hope she feels better after doxy treatment.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You poor dear, I'd be beside myself :(

Yoshi&Reza

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Alyssa
First, I'm really sorry. I know this isn't easy and it's stressful. Are they referring to IMHA? If so,
There are a couple good threads on the poodle forum. By good I mean the owners talk about the symptoms, hospital stays, and treatments. And there are references to some websites.
Just go to poodle forum, in the custom search type in immune mediated hemolytic anemia and the threads show up.

If this isn't what they are talking about, then sorry! Just trying to show some threads that might give you more insight in all this craziness right now. I wish you, Bella, and your family the best through this rough time. Please update as you find out more.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK, talked to my vet tech sis and she mentioned this. Thrombocytopenia. It can be caused by ticks and autoimmune. Dog must be admitted and on steroids to prevent bleeding to lungs and other organs. I sure hope she is OK. :hug8:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thanks everyone. Dr. Carson mentioned several different tick diseases they would be looking for. I know Lyme & Ehrlichia were two of them, along with several others. She didn't mention IMHA but she did say they wanted to get the more extensive blood results back, along with the clotting panel and it will hopefully tell them more. So when they get those results tomorrow, I'll ask about IMHA. At this point, all I really know for sure is that she has no platelets, has normal red blood cell count, but some appear abnormal. No poisoning. It appears to be autoimmune related. That's the jest of what I got this morning.

There was so much information given to me that took me by surprise that I probably missed some stuff. I sincerely thought it was a gum issue, so was extremely shocked to find out she was hemorraging. When I go back this afternoon to pick her up and when I take her back tomorrow morning, I plan on taking a notepad and taking notes. I'm just in shock.

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
OK, talked to my vet tech sis and she mentioned this. Thrombocytopenia. It can be caused by ticks and autoimmune. Dog must be admitted and on steroids to prevent bleeding to lungs and other organs. I sure hope she is OK. :hug8:
Thank you! I will add that to my list of things to ask about. The vet definitely said she is getting steriods right off the bat, so this might be what they are worried about. I think they give steriods for IMHA also, from what I found on google. This is worrisome. I've heard long-term Prednisone use causes extensive kidney or liver damage.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
The lyme disease in dogs is most commonly characterized by the sudden onset of lameness. In fact, lameness is often the only sign of infection. One or more joints may become swollen and painful to the touch. Some dogs run a fever and experience weakness, lethargy, loss of appetite, and weight loss. The lameness may last only a few days, but in some cases it becomes chronic and persists or recurs for months.

Kidney problems are the next most common sign. An acute cardiac syndrome is quite rare. Both of these syndromes are usually fatal.

Most dogs exposed to Lyme disease do not become ill. Serological blood tests will indicate whether a dog has been exposed to the disease. Dogs may not test positive until a few weeks after exposure. New serologic tests can distinguish between dogs with vaccine immunity and dogs with natural exposure. A rising antibody titer in the absence of recent vaccination, however, indicates active infection. Western Blot and ELISA blood tests are now both used to detect exposure. Many dogs who test positive for Lyme disease will also have other tick-borne diseases, such as ehrlichiosis and babesiosis.

I'm sorry to hear that Bella is ill... If she have an autoinmmune disease its one of the next ones:

- Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia (Canine) | Petside

- Autoimmune Blood Disorders - Dog Health

- Diagnosing Autoimmune Disease in Dogs - VetInfo

- Systemic Autoimmune Disease in Dogs | petMD

Here are some links with info about some of the diseases that are autoimmune.

This one Canine Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia its the one that fits moré with symptoms! :(

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thank you! I will read up on those links. I am leaving to go get her in a few minutes, so I won't have time before I pick her up, but I'll read them tonight so I'm prepared when I take her back in the morning. She definitely doesn't have any lameness (other than when her foot's sore & she does the 3-legged hop after a long hike) and she has no weight loss. She weighed a whopping 62 lbs this morning, gained 2 lbs since the last time she was weighed. She really needs some weight loss, but that's for another day. She has no fever either, thank goodness.

I plan on babying the crap out of her tonight. Fingers crossed there's no more bad news when I pick her up.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Thank you! I will add that to my list of things to ask about. The vet definitely said she is getting steriods right off the bat, so this might be what they are worried about. I think they give steriods for IMHA also, from what I found on google. This is worrisome. I've heard long-term Prednisone use causes extensive kidney or liver damage.
Yes, long term use of steroids cause kidney & liver damage (long term refers to moré than 6 months using them) i'm sure they will probably tell You a period no longer than 90 days than rest a month or 45 days ( for detox her body) and then back to the steroids.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
man y prayers on the way..how scary!!!

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
I dont know if what im about to say will be wrong or not but I had a decision to make with my Grover he had bowek cancer and was tested to see if urgery was the anserhis blood work came back and vet said surgery was a go iit was booked for that week this was sept or october all week i questioned my self was i doing right the morning of the surgery i cancled i just couldnt do it win ter was comming he loved the winter his long walks the night I called my son it was time to put him dowm it was snowing i took him out let him lay for the longwait for my son it was march

do i regret not having the surgery in one way i do on the other way i dont he had flued on his lungs but was losing hair by the handfull yes the fluid could be removed and give us more time but hed suffer

truth I dont know if my decision was right but its one i made I promised my self he wouldnt suffer and he didnt

what im geting at is is it worth giving meds that will destroy other organs id do every thing i could to try and clear your dog up but if I saw it not working after say 2 weeks id put her downi wouldnt put her through the agervation

trust me im not in any way saying give up im asking dont let he suffer to long if meds not improving

please dont be upset with me for this post as I know in your heart your trying to decide should you continue or at what stage do you say enough is enough

its been 12 yrs for me to live with my decision yes i might have made a wrong one but the one I made was he got his winter and in my heart it was right

hugs and ill be praying they find meds that will give your dog a better life

my thoughts and prayers are with you

hugs doll

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I'll be thinking of you and Bella, and hoping for a positive outcome.

I don't know anything really about autoimmune disease in dogs. One of my horses has uveitis, which is an autoimmune disease that only really affects one or both eyes. I know in people autoimmune diseases can range from minor symptoms to extremely serious ones. Try not to panic until your vet is able to verify what is going on and what kind of treatment might help her. I know that's much easier said than done.

:hug8:

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
So sorry to hear this news about Bella! :sadhug2:
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your furry family. :sadhug2:

AMidnightSoul

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mary
Thanks everyone. We got back a few hours ago. She is sleeping and curious as to why I am following her around with a blanket to lay under her head everytime she puts her head down. I think she is mildly impatient with the process, lol.

She is still bleeding from the gums, but she doesn't seem to have anymore spots on the whites of her eyes than she had this morning. Her skin is hard to tell because most of her skin is dark. She's pretty exhausted. I was trying to clean her face fairly regularly, but have stopped doing that for now. When she first came home, she kept licking her face & getting blood all over it. I'm sure she was licking so much because of the taste of blood in her mouth, which must be miserable. I was trying to help by at least keeping her fur clean, but it seems like a lost cause and I'd rather not disturb her now that she's resting. (I never knew how horrible blood starts to smell after a while. I can only imagine how horrible it tastes for her.)

I'm changing the water everytime she takes a drink because it gets dirty with each sip, but she has stopped drinking so much now. I think she realizes she won't be able to clean the taste out of her mouth. I gave her some treats when we got home, hoping that will help a little with the taste in her mouth.

They gave me Prednisone, 3 pills, twice a day and they called in a script at King Soopers pharmacy: Azathioprine to give her once a day. She goes back in the morning for another CBC. The vet didn't have anything new to add and said she will be able to give me more information tomorrow, after the full results come back. For now, if she gets worse through the night, I am to bring her in. I didn't ask anymore questions today. I'm hoping to get well rested tonight and ask them all tomorrow. I'm pretty brain fried right now.

Hopefully all will go well tonight. I'm worried about what state she'll be in by morning time since her gums are still actively bleeding. Hopefully the medicine will works fast. I just wish I could help her at least feel comfortable, but since this is normally her playtime and she is sleeping, I think she feels pretty puny & uncomfortable.

Dolldid, I'm not upset at all about your post. No worries! I had a dog with CHF that was on an extensive assortment of meds for three years and went through trying to figure out how much treatment vs. when to say enough is enough before he suffers. I'm prepared to make the decision again, I'm just hoping the meds work and I don't have to. It's really so unexpected. It doesn't seem right that some random disease can cause devastation in such a short amount of time, but I guess it happens all the time with people and with animals.

Last edited:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
One day at a time with her. Hope she responds to the meds. If she is eating and doesn't feel bad keep her peaceful and happy. I know you know how I can relate to how you are feeling. ;) Hang in there it's tough when our doggies are not doing well. :hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
So very sorry you are going through this. Hate to think of Bella uncomfortable, but it sounds like she has a good nurse. A hug for each of you. :hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.