• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mold on Caitec Oven Fresh Bites

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are definitely softer. Just opened another new 28 oz bag from Drs. F & S and they are not only softer but some of the medium bites have been fused together so that they are double bites. I think I'm going to call them tomorrow because the should be firmed and not fused but the last 2-3 bags I've used have been like this.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Just keep an eye on it. The mold was white and fuzzy in my case. I sent a message to Caitec, but never received a response.

Definitely none of that. I'd stay on Caitec, if I were you.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Forgot that today is a holiday. Will call Caitec tomorrow. I wonder if they changed the ingredients or baking process. @painesgrey Email Caitec again but also call them.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Forgot that today is a holiday. Will call Caitec tomorrow. I wonder if they changed the ingredients or baking process. @painesgrey Email Caitec again but also call them.

I hope they didn't change anything: they're the only pellets my flock will eat consistently.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope they didn't change anything: they're the only pellets my flock will eat consistently.

Do you get the medium or the large size?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Didn't have a chance to call but will try to do that some time this week. I get the medium, too, as well as the small. Are some of the pieces fused together?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Mine are medium too!!!!!!!!!!

Sale should not mean questionable quality....Drs FS Fraud & Scheister!!!

I'll have to dbl check mine. I have 3 unopened bags!

Last edited:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel

I got mine from Amazon, from the "Oven Fresh Bites" vendor whom I assume is Caitec. The bag I received on clearance from Drs F&S was fine.

However, there are other reviewers on Amazon reporting mold, so it seems like it might be more than just a one-off problem.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Bites from F & S not moldy but are softer than usual and, in some cases, two bites are fused together to make a large bite or an elbow macaroni shaped bite.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I did not see mold but did notice they were a bit soft crumbly but since I never had them I did not know. Are they supposed to be more hard crunchy????

They are sort of soft baked...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I called Caitec and gave the rep the info about the soft and fused OFB. He told me that the ingredients haven't change but it's possible they weren't baked long enough. I gave him the lot # for one of the bags of soft bites and he gave me the email address for the person who deals with the bird food. Sent an email regarding the textural and shape changes with the bites. Hopefully I will get a reply. Rep said that he would also be contacted the bird food person with the info I gave him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did not see mold but did notice they were a bit soft crumbly but since I never had them I did not know. Are they supposed to be more hard crunchy????

They are sort of soft baked...

Yes, they should be harder than a soft baked cookie. What is the lot # on your bag? Easy now to press with fingers and crumble whereas before you had to use more pressure. Are some of yours fused together so they look like elbow macaroni or elongated bites?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
No fused but you can crumble them easy but they are not like really soft baked cookies.

I never had them before so I don;t know whats normal.

Ill check lots. I got them when they had the big sale.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I got mine from the sale, too, but I mixed the bags in with others I have although I am fairly certain the ones that were softer were from Foster & Smith.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I received email replies from two different Caitec reps:
"We have not changed the formula of our oven fresh bites since we launched it 7 years ago.

The only thing I can think of was our baker upgraded his oven over the past year and that batch may have been one of his first. Therefore giving the product a darker look. Was that what you were seeing?"

I sent an email back telling the rep that the bites were not darker but lighter and that they were soft and crumbly as opposed to the usual bites.

From another rep:
"We are assured by our baker that nothing in ingredients nor manufacturing process has changed……. It is safe to feed birds."

Sent another email asking why the texture, consistency and color were different if nothing has changed and received this reply:
"We are address this with baker as we speak……… thanks for the feeding back and continued support !

Thank you and best regards!"

That's the last reply I received. Would like to know what the baker had to say since there is a definite difference between these most recent OFBs and the ones I've received previously.

@painesgrey Did you ever get any assistance with the mold issue?

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I never received a response to the emails that I sent. I never did call (I'm not a huge fan of phone calls..)

I probably just won't use them again.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING

I probably just won't use them again.
I personally think that is a good answer.

Caitec will not get a penny of my money after how they ripped off the product that wingdow made (there are threads on this forum about it).

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've tried a few other pellets with my birds and the only ones they like are Zupreem fruit flavored and Caitec OFB and I prefer using the OFBs. I don't think it was right that Caitec did a Wingdow knock off although there are differences so they were able to get around any patent issues. They also used cheaper materials.