• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mold on Caitec Oven Fresh Bites

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I bought a bag of medium Oven Fresh Bites off Amazon earlier this month, delivered on the 15th.

When I poured the bag into an airtight container, I noticed they seemed a bit softer than usual. Didn't think much of it, until today..

I noticed white fuzzy mold in the food and immediately threw it out.

I don't have the bag anymore to list off the batch number, but thought I'd post to warn people to check their food.

Not sure I have any recourse for a return with Amazon, and since I don't have a batch number I can't really help Caitec. Just bummed that I had to toss $12 worth of food after not even two weeks. :(

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yuck! Now I'm going to have to look at my bag, as I'd purchased it with Amazon about a month ago, too.
I'd ask for a refund.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Yikes!

Thats the 2nd weird food issue from Amazon. Sounds like their storage isn't the greatest.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Contact Caitec as well as Amazon. They might help you out even though you had no batch number. I had an issue with dark spots on pellets but I took a photo and saved the box and Caitec sent me a new 15 lb. box. Turned out that some of pellets were burned from being baked too long and they were supposedly save to use but I tossed them. In the future, if you have any more like that then take a photo of the batch number as well as the pellets and then toss the bag and contact Caitec.
I've noticed that some bags of the pellets I bought also seem softer than normal but I haven't seen any mold. I purchased from Drs. Foster & Smith.

Thanks for posting this.

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Victoria :)
Great.... I just ordered roudybush and seed from Amazon supposed to come tomorrow. I'll be sure to check it over though anyways. I've always had good success with ordering from Amazon with Bird food in the past. Thanks for the warning though.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Great.... I just ordered roudybush and seed from Amazon supposed to come tomorrow. I'll be sure to check it over though anyways. I've always had good success with ordering from Amazon with Bird food in the past. Thanks for the warning though.
Check your roudybush also. I recently posted about mold on pellets that were not out of date.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just got a box. I buy 15# at a time. Sorry this happened and hoping mine are good!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got a box. I buy 15# at a time. Sorry this happened and hoping mine are good!
Where do you purchase your bulk box from? The place I used to get it from has closed shop.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Birdie bits and bites, plus a seller on Amazon.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Birdie bits and bites, plus a seller on Amazon.
Thanks. Just checked Birdie, Bits and Bites. That's a very good price for the bulk box. Do they charge for shipping? Is the expiration date generally decent?
Hope the box you received is OK.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks. Just checked Birdie, Bits and Bites. That's a very good price for the bulk box. Do they charge for shipping? Is the expiration date generally decent?
Hope the box you received is OK.

They do charge for shipping, and it's expensive, IMO.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

They do charge for shipping, and it's expensive, IMO.

How expensive would that be? I will probably just continue to purchase from Drs. F&S although I have to buy multiple 28 oz bags rather than the 15 lb. bulk box.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Too much breakage in the 15 lb box.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I like breakage because then I just grind all that for the smaller birds and only have to buy one size LOL

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just opened my box. No mold that I could see or smell, but they were softer than usual, maybe from sitting in the bag for several days before I opened them? I'm drying them out in the food dehydrator.

painesgrey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I just opened my box. No mold that I could see or smell, but they were softer than usual, maybe from sitting in the bag for several days before I opened them? I'm drying them out in the food dehydrator.

Just keep an eye on it. The mold was white and fuzzy in my case. I sent a message to Caitec, but never received a response.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:extremeanger: Got mine at Dr FS...sort of crumbly softer but look fine. I never bought them b4 so not sure how hard/ crunchy they should be...

I have 4 bags!