• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mobrella

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
It really was insane. They didn't want to sell the grey at first, but I offered enough extra cash, that they took me up on it. lol I knew I couldn't leave him behind. They told me he was 6 yrs old, and didn't have a name. We thought that was so sad. My husband named him Tarzan. lol We are still thinking of a name for the cockatoo, so any ideas would be great.
Inca or Maya...

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for taking them in, and I look forward to updates on their progress, poor birdies.:(

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
We are still thinking of a name for the cockatoo, so any ideas would be great.
Hubby says "How can we think of names without pictures?" and he looked sneaky when he said it. I know he heard the part when I told him you said you would post pics later, but he's just dying to see them. :rolleyes: I've married a big, impatient kid! :laugh:

Last edited:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Seems rather sketchy about the origin of these birds. Major Mitchells Cockatoos are in the $ 2,500 to $ 3,500 range, . These birds may be stolen , seems rather bizarre that drug users would spend that kind of money on exotics.
With that being said, whatever was their past is now behind them . Their future will be good going forward in your care.
I wondered that myself or if they took them in trade for product. There are no leg bands, so can't find anything there. Haven't seen anyone missing any on any local ads, but they might not be local.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hubby says "How can we think of names without pictures?" and he looked sneaky when he said it. I know he heard the part when I told him you said you would post pics later, but he's just dying to see them. :rolleyes: I've married a big, impatient kid! :laugh:
I can't wait to post, but camera is having issues. I think it's the user. lol

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my. Thank you for helping these birds. They're so lucky you got them out of there.

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
I wondered that myself or if they took them in trade for product. There are no leg bands, so can't find anything there. Haven't seen anyone missing any on any local ads, but they might not be local.
The problem with lost and stolen birds is if they’re not local you’ll almost never find the original owner. Most don’t have distinctive markings or come to their names like dogs. Don’t turn on your blinders to lost MM2 postings obviously, but I wouldn’t stress it too bad either. Just give them the home they deserve :)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Most don’t have distinctive markings or come to their names like dogs.
Mine do . And they respond to their names on recall.
Isabelle's head is more oblong,and her yellow marking on her crest are deeper in color and larger. Bentley's is more diffused he is shorter and more squarish in structure. They definitely know their names.

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Just give them the home they deserve :)
The birds have been in Cathy and her husband's care for 4 nights now. I'd say if they're not already spoiled completely they're well on their way. Just like they deserve. ;)

Mine do . And they respond to their names on recall. Isabelle's head is more oblong,and her yellow marking on her crest are deeper in color and larger. Bentley's is more diffused he is shorter and more squarish in structure. They definitely know their names.
I'll bet they do as often as you work with them! :tup: Do they also respond to their names when someone else calls them? I mean, if (heaven forbid) they were lost and someone found them could that be a reliable means of identification even surrounded by strangers in unfamiliar surroundings?

Despite the more subtle physical differences that their doting mom knows (and I know you dote on your birds :heart2: ) they would probably be harder for someone who doesn't know them to differentiate between your guys and one on a "missing" poster. Though at least your guys have markings to make them easier to spot. If our Luv Bug ever got out I'd be lucky if anyone knew what a "goffins" is and "cockatoo" might be asking too much. I think my best bet is to ask around about a "white bird". :unsure1:

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@BirdEE
Heres a picture of their heads ...notice Isabelle on left crest is more intense yellow, head is oblong, shes 100 grams larger than bentley. Notice Bentley on right the yellow bands are muted his head is squarish, he is considerably shorter than Miss Isabelle.
20160210_135659.jpg 20160124_155200.jpg 20170214_091853.jpg

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
The birds have been in Cathy and her husband's care for 4 nights now. I'd say if they're not already spoiled completely they're well on their way. Just like they deserve. ;)

I'll bet they do as often as you work with them! :tup: Do they also respond to their names when someone else calls them? I mean, if (heaven forbid) they were lost and someone found them could that be a reliable means of identification even surrounded by strangers in unfamiliar surroundings?

Despite the more subtle physical differences that their doting mom knows (and I know you dote on your birds :heart2: ) they would probably be harder for someone who doesn't know them to differentiate between your guys and one on a "missing" poster. Though at least your guys have markings to make them easier to spot. If our Luv Bug ever got out I'd be lucky if anyone knew what a "goffins" is and "cockatoo" might be asking too much. I think my best bet is to ask around about a "white bird". :unsure1:
If my birds woere lost or stolen i could easily identify them, and prove they are mine.
Yes they do come to their names other than myself. The concern is not dependent on a stranger, its about identifying and providing proof from the true owner. Your counter question has no bearing on proof of ownership.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
heaven forbid) they were lost and someone found them could that be a reliable means of identification even surrounded by strangers in unfamiliar surroundings?
Yes ! Bentley once flew over the fence when i was in the mind set of clipping ,thinking he would be safe. He was preched on my shoulder, a gust of wind came up had he took flight over the fence in the middle of the street around the corner, in a panic i ran to get him . Woman was trying to get him as soon a he saw me i called his name he stepped up to me not her. Person then says oh is that your bird? Besides i have plenty of pics...being the as you so put a "Doting Mother"

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@BirdEE
I'm also considering micro Chipping them .
That would definitely provide plenty of proof. Besides all the vet bills and pictures

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Despite the more subtle physical differences that their doting mom knows (and I know you dote on your birds :heart2:
Yes i do , i hope you do too! If you know your companion bird you'll find subtle differences between other birds of the same species. Paying attention to detail.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
If my birds woere lost or stolen i could easily identify them, and prove they are mine.
Good point. I wasn't thinking of an owner identifying them once a lost bird is brought in to be identified. I meant if someone unfamiliar with that bird saw a "missing" sign or FB post, would they be able to tell the missing bird apart from another of the same species enough to know to call the authorities?

Woman was trying to get him as soon a he saw me i called his name he stepped up to me not her. Person then says oh is that your bird?
No kidding that's your bird! :mad: You seem very refined, but I'm sure things would have gotten ugly really quickly if that woman hadn't backed off!

I do my best, but I hope to one day be able to dote on our guys half as well. :jillone: Your birds are so well cared for; their aviary is incredible. :cloud9:

My apologies for the lousy spelling, i hate to post on my phone. My big fingers get in the way the keys wrong...
Haha Me, too. :laugh: But what's my excuse on a computer keyboard?

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Good point. I wasn't thinking of an owner identifying them once a lost bird is brought in to be identified. I meant if someone unfamiliar with that bird saw a "missing" sign or FB post, would they be able to tell the missing bird apart from another of the same species enough to know to call the authorities?

No kidding that's your bird! :mad: You seem very refined, but I'm sure things would have gotten ugly really quickly if that woman hadn't backed off!

I do my best, but I hope to one day be able to dote on our guys half as well. :jillone: Your birds are so well cared for; their aviary is incredible. :cloud9:

Haha Me, too. :laugh: But what's my excuse on a computer keyboard?
Please I'm not that great. I'm protective of what i commit to. Yes it would have gotten ugly... i think she felt the energy, and saw the panic in me.
When someones post lost/found , usally its please identify . In the case of an exotic bird , its important to a file of photos for comparison and other proof. I also think micro chipping will be the ultmate identifier.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Many times people just don't even advertise about lost exotic bird. They keep them or sell them. :sad1:
Some honest people do , this thread is motivating me to take my birds for microchip. I think im going to make appointment now. This way in the event, this god forbid were to happen , that would clear any doubt. Regardless of the finders or others stepping forward to claim the bird.