• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mobrella

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hi, If anyone sees this evening, I would love some input. I am going to look at a Mobrella (Mollucan/Umbrella hybrid) tomorrow that is in need of a home. They said he has been known to bite when people try to put him in his cage. They talk like that is the only time he is aggressive. They told me he gets on well with other birds and plays on stands with them. I am considering taking him, but just wondered if anyone could give me any input on not only the biting, but also the hybrid mix. I am not familiar with them. I'm not sure why people breed hybrids, but he is here and needs a home, so any helpful info tonight, would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think sometimes hybrids just happen. Nice of you to consider taking this fellow in. :) I'm trying to search previous threads for you. I see that @Chantilly Lace has fostered one. There was another member who had one but they haven't been on in years. I was surprised that most of the threads also mentioned being bitten, but most of those appear to be the same incident on different threads. :huh:

Even so, all birds are individuals & he may not fit the norm -if mobrellas even have a "norm". I'm sure you can find ways to convince him to go into his cage, even if that means getting him a different one. He may have had bad experiences in his. :shrug: Maybe just rearranging things in his cage to make it more inviting or easy to climb into could help, or only feeding him in his cage?

Our mac ,Buzzard, started fussing about wanting to stay out on his playstand at night & got increasingly hard to put away til we finally started to let him stay out. (The dogs sleep in our room and he doesn't climb down so it works for us.) But when we have to leave, we drop a nut in the shell into his food bowl and he climbs in no problem. We tell him "good boy" as he starts in and close the door behind him so he knows what's coming and we're not trying to trick him, then praise him to make it a positive experience. I know cockatoos are not macs, but I feel like it helps when we tell them what we are doing. One of our goffins, Luv Bug, doesn't like to be caged, but when I carry her to her cage the same way every morning and tell her I have to walk the dogs and I'll be right back, she steps in easily and doesn't fuss til I get back and start taking off the dogs' harnesses.

Last edited:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm afraid I can't help much with info on hybrids. I'm very curious about M2/U2 hybrids thou. I think maybe I knew one that was misidentified as a M2. She was a very small M2 but had one of the biggest crest I've ever seen on a M2. Then I a picture of of a suppose Mobrella online and he basically looked like small M2. Recently I saw a picture on another one be this one looked like a U2 with a bit of orange is his crest. So I'm now even more confused. I haven't been able to find many reliable photos or info one them.

As far as biting when going back to the cage I have dealt with birds that did that, including my U2 Echo. I would think it's probably a fairly common problem. I was able overcome Echo's biting behaviors in general for the most part and the back to cage biting is pretty much nonexistent so I don't believe it is insurmountable. Of course it depends on the personality of each bird.

This is just a thought but It's quite possible that the current owner accidentally reinforces the biting too. Its easy to do if things like become a pattern and people start anticipating and unwittingly reinforces it. Try and ask about what happens and how they respond to it. Hopefully you can gain some insight

I wish you best luck with the Mobrella and hope you'll be able to be a soft place to land for him. Please keep us updated. :)

Last edited:

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I think maybe I knew one that was misidentified as a M2. She was a very small M2 but had one of the biggest crest I've ever seen on a M2. Then I a picture of of a suppose Mobrella online and he basically looked like small M2. Recently I saw a picture on another one be this one looked like a U2 with a bit of orange is his crest. So I'm now even more confused.
I once read something about hybrids, about he role each parent's genes play in determining the size and color of the animal (I think it may have been when I was reading about hybrid macaws after we got Buzz?) I think it went "Daddy builds the house and mama paints it", meaning the size comes more from the father and the coloring takes more after the mother. I wonder a) if that's even remotely true and b) if that could explain how the two possible mobrella sightings were so different looking.

I can't remember for sure where I read that & I can't find it now :banghead: ; maybe someone on here has heard it or something like it?

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you both for your responses. This one looks like a smaller Mollucan but the body is whiter in the pictures I've seen. The crest looks Mollucan. lol They said he is aproximately 6 yrs old. I'm not too concerned about the biting if it is only on putting him in the cage. My blue and gold Zeus only lets me handle her with a towel on my arm as she believes my husband to be the be all end all. lol The people say they use a towel on their arm to avoid the bites, so that is an option until I earn his trust. My birds are cage free all day and only sleep in cages, so I'm hoping that will be a plus. My Goffin goes in for food. I do feed my flock in their cages to help contain some of the mess. Thanks to both of you again. I will follow up with my decision after I check him out tomorrow.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Hahaha I found it! :yes4: I found the quote. It was on here! Duh :facepalm:
Famous saying in the bird world, Daddy builds the house and momma paints it! Structure in macaws is largely from the male and color from the female!

BirdEE

Walking the driveway
Mobrellas seem to vary on how much they take on of the other. Some look like Umbrellas with a pink tint. To looking like small Moluccans. And everywhere in between.

Sounds like you can provide a good home, and for that we applaud you. Cage aggression seems to be a norm with U2s and M2s when they are learning what they can and can’t get away with under you. I’ve said it in other threads before, but when I met my U2 he tried that with me. First time I ever tried putting him back in his cage he latched on hard to the meat of my thumb. I kept persistent and before long he knew that when I was putting him back in his cage, he was gonna go whether he bit me or not. Now he’s really easy to get in his cage. I just read him it’s bed time and he leans in on my arm for a head scratch before I set him on his favorite perch. Like any bird, they just take consistency. Maybe more so with large cockatoos. Little buggers are too smart for their own good.....

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
All I know is hearsay. Some seem to be rotten, while are not. All birds are individuals, and keep in mind that how the bird acts at first is not the true bird. The honeymoon phase is real.

Since you have several macaws and other New World parrots, you might also research pulmonary hypersensitivity in macaws online.

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
All I know is hearsay. Some seem to be rotten, while are not. All birds are individuals, and keep in mind that how the bird acts at first is not the true bird. The honeymoon phase is real.

Since you have several macaws and other New World parrots, you might also research pulmonary hypersensitivity in macaws online.
I understand the honeymoon phase, you are correct it is real. lol I also learned about the pulmonary hypersensitivity in macaws here on AA. I keep my Macaws and my Goffin separate, as I will with any cockatoo I get.
Now for the strange news. I went to look at the bird the people were re-homing, and as it turned out, they sold someone else the bird last night. They said nothing to me knowing I was making a 3 hour drive. I believe they may have traded the bird for drugs going by the atmosphere in the house. I was heart sick, but then heard the sound of other birds in another room of their house. Thinking they had just changed their minds and had put the bird in another room, I asked about it. They told me they indeed had another bird for sale, but that the bird couldn't be handled at all and it was only 9 months old. They said this bird just refused to be tamed. I asked if I could see it and they led me into the garage off their kitchen. What I saw shocked me to the core. It wasn't one bird but two. It was an Timneh African Grey, and a Major Mitchell's cockatoo in 2 very tiny cages in a dark damp garage. The cockatoo was indeed skittish and wouldn't step up (could you blame it?), but it didn't bite or show signs of any aggression. Long story short, I bought both birds. They took the money I offered. My guess on drugs was probably right, because as expensive as these birds are, all they wanted was enough for what I guessed was their next high. It was one of the saddest things I ever saw. However I have 2 new members of my flock in quarantine tonight. The little grey seems to be so happy to be at my home. The cockatoo is skittish but seems to like the TV, and is settling in. He will be a work in progress. Thank you all for the advice. I love learning here from those who have so much knowledge. Any thoughts or advice on these two is appreciated. Will be getting them vetted asap. Will post pictures when I can get some. Thank you all.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What an insane turn of events! :shocking: It's sad and wonderful at the same time. And thank God you were able to rescue both! :heart2:

cathybill7

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It really was insane. They didn't want to sell the grey at first, but I offered enough extra cash, that they took me up on it. lol I knew I couldn't leave him behind. They told me he was 6 yrs old, and didn't have a name. We thought that was so sad. My husband named him Tarzan. lol We are still thinking of a name for the cockatoo, so any ideas would be great.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That's so crazy and sad!! Thankyou for saving them!!
:hug8:
I look forward to getting to know Tarzan and the Major Mitchell Cockatoo. I have no idea what a good name would be but MM2 are so gorgeous so something pretty :xflove::heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow. What a turn of events! Still, so fortunate for those two birds that you asked. I'm looking forward to some photos! Odd they would have a MM as I was thinking they could be flippers and place ads that claim they are a rescue and get birds for free and then turn around and sell them. Check the ads where you found the Mobrella and see if there are any ads taking in birds as in rescue or the like.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Seems rather sketchy about the origin of these birds. Major Mitchells Cockatoos are in the $ 2,500 to $ 3,500 range, . These birds may be stolen , seems rather bizarre that drug users would spend that kind of money on exotics.
With that being said, whatever was their past is now behind them . Their future will be good going forward in your care.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
That's so crazy and sad!! Thankyou for saving them!!
:hug8:
I look forward to getting to know Tarzan and the Major Mitchell Cockatoo. I have no idea what a good name would be but MM2 are so gorgeous so something pretty :xflove::heart:

Maya if a girl or Inca for boy !