• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Merry Christmas to me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somebirdie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow! another creature of beauty but I know nothing about.
Could you give us the low down on them and their habits please, just to fill me in?
Do they change colour at all or stay like that always? What a beauty.

They go a duller grey when they please or when they're cold, and can brighten their colours right up like in the photo :)
Often you'll see a mighty "unimpressive" looking beardie in a tank, but once you handle it, it gets nice and bright!

They can also turn their "beards" (throats) totally black when they wish, generally of they're unhappy or "in the mood" :lol:

They're a great lizard, one reptile that undeniably recognizes people and gets excited for cuddles!

There poop is one of the most god awful smells though :O

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
I haven't noticed the bad poop smell so far. They are really good eaters and cool to watch eat. Today he ate 10 crickets and 2 butter worms and a mixture of greens. He has a leash but we haven't tried that yet and he is super fast. I am really enjoying him. Going tomorrow to get him a 40 gallon breeder tank and some other things such as a night time heat emiter.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
What a cute little guy. I think Chile would be cute!

heirofslytherin123

Real Name
Gabby
Chester Cheetos :)

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
:huh: Our Buttercup has never had stinky poops and she will be 7 in the spring.
We've only had Petunia since August and hers doesn't stink either. Hmmmm, this has got me curious, I'm going to ask around.
I love beardies!:heart: We've found them to be the easiest pets to care for by far!
We got Buttercup from a breeder at a year old and she has always been friendly and sweet. Petunia was your typical Petsmart purchase (daughter's bf after Lola died) She was very handshy until hurricane Sandy. We went without heat and electric for 11 days and she spent 90% of that in my bra!:rolleyes: She's very tame now and loves for head rubs! They both love to cuddle.:heart:

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
:huh: Our Buttercup has never had stinky poops and she will be 7 in the spring.
We've only had Petunia since August and hers doesn't stink either. Hmmmm, this has got me curious, I'm going to ask around.
I love beardies!:heart: We've found them to be the easiest pets to care for by far!
We got Buttercup from a breeder at a year old and she has always been friendly and sweet. Petunia was your typical Petsmart purchase (daughter's bf after Lola died) She was very handshy until hurricane Sandy. We went without heat and electric for 11 days and she spent 90% of that in my bra!:rolleyes: She's very tame now and loves for head rubs! They both love to cuddle.:heart:
Glad to hear someone else says they are easy to care for because my boy is far easier than my Chameleon. I was hesitant on a female because the lay eggs and I wasn't sure if they are like birds and can get egg bound? The breeder had a gorgeous female :( I am not even sure sex for a pet matters with these guys and or friendliness. I am loving "Yuki" we named him and now I love that name Chester Cheeto :)

Tikilola I would love to see photos of your girls ;)

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Regarding the bad poop smell,
My ex and I had a few beautiful white babies, and he was the pickiest cage cleaner you'll ever meet. Every day straight after work two hours or so was dedicated to making sure the animals had incredibly clean cages.
And I could always smell the beardies :lol: I could never smell my water dragons (or his frillies or geckos) but the beardies got me!

I think the combination of young beardies (high protein diet) and them pooping under a heat lamp just made it bad :lol:
Plus...I don't notice snake poop smell anymore...and that's awful...so maybe I just never got used too it :D

TikiLola

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Alida(Aleeda)
I never even thought of eggs!:eek: Luckily Buttercup never laid any. ~*knock on wood*~
Petunia in our Christmas tree...

You can see her pretty coloring and pattern a little better in this one:

Buttercup's Christmas card from acouple years ago:

Buttercup surfing AA:hehe:

Getting some sun from the window when we had no power.

Where Petunia spent most of her time. Look how skinny she got, I was afraid she wouldn't make it!:( She's chubby now! :woot2:

Last edited:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Pretty sure you'd have to allow your beardie too brumate and simulate natural seasons for them to ovulate in order too breed/lay eggs.

Kia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennylyn
AWE....Lookie at the wittle baby...shes going to have amazing color when she matures....love the pictures :):heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.