• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Coco

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I'm smitten, and a little in awe of this cool lady. I've wanted an Amazon (a smaller one, like a Lilac Crowned) or Pionus for a few years, but this 20 year old BFA is who ended up in my life instead. She was on consignment sale at a bird store along with a DYH and Grey from the same family. They told me her previous owner died and the spouse couldn't care for the birds alone. Coco was the last to sell, I'm told. When I met her at the store, she was sticking to the back of her cage and didn't seem too interested in people.

At my house, she's been more interactive, cooing at me, choosing to hang out on the side of the cage nearest me, nicely taking treats from my hand, and enthusiastically eating everything I offer her. I'm so excited to start this relationship with her, whatever that may be, and can't wait to see her come out of her shell more over time.

Her vet appointment is this weekend, and a big new enclosure is on order for her. I have no idea how she spent her time at her old home - maybe she was out all day - but her cage was even smaller than my conure's old cage (which she's currently in). I feel like she moves around a bit gingerly, but I'm not familiar enough with Amazons to know if this is cause for concern or not.

IMG_20190311_190206492.jpg
Pretty girl.

IMG_20190314_123616980.jpg
Loving her Apple Birdie Brittle from Christine's Chop Shop!

IMG_20190314_200129989.jpg
She pets her own head every night before bed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
You already know I'm smitten from afar with her. I'm so excited for you both :heart:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh, you are so lucky! I'm biased but BFAs are the best! and they smell good too!
If Coco hasn't had a diet with much beta carotene/vitamin A in it she could get bumblefoot. check the bottoms of her feet when she's climbing around the cage.
Both BFAs I've adopted were essentially cage-bound for a long time and they also seemed to have stiff ankles. maybe that's it?

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She might have arthritis in her feet too so check for that. Pretty sure one of Fuzzys Zons has it, just like many of us do as we get older. Lurch used to ball up a foot ane open and close his toes to scritch and he'd grab molted flight feathers and scratch with them too.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
If Coco hasn't had a diet with much beta carotene/vitamin A in it she could get bumblefoot. check the bottoms of her feet when she's climbing around the cage.
Both BFAs I've adopted were essentially cage-bound for a long time and they also seemed to have stiff ankles. maybe that's it?
Her feet look good, no redness. But stiffness would be a good way to describe the way she moves. Also, I noticed her shaking tonight when she was standing on one foot on her flat perch, sort of the way you'd shake from muscle weakness when using a deconditioned muscle.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Congratulations and it's nice to see you back! I've found with my Amazons that they can tend to be a little careful on their feet because they aren't used to having a lot of space to move around in or different things to move on. The same goes for the new greys who come into my life. Once they get used to a new cage with different perches and coming out of their cage and onto playstands and find out what boings are and get used to it, they get more comfortable and start moving more, but it could also be a bit of arthritis as well. Keep us posted!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Congrats! She is beautiful. Girlie zons are lovely. You could ask the vet about tumeric. Probably wouldn't hurt her if she doesn't have arthritis.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's lovely! Congrats!

pawfectly

Walking the driveway
BFA’s are one of my favourite birds! I am so in love with them and hope to own them one day.
That is one gorgeous girl! Keep us updated. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Congratulations to both of you. She is beautiful.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Awwww she’s beautiful! Congrats!

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I'm smitten, and a little in awe of this cool lady. I've wanted an Amazon (a smaller one, like a Lilac Crowned) or Pionus for a few years, but this 20 year old BFA is who ended up in my life instead. She was on consignment sale at a bird store along with a DYH and Grey from the same family. They told me her previous owner died and the spouse couldn't care for the birds alone. Coco was the last to sell, I'm told. When I met her at the store, she was sticking to the back of her cage and didn't seem too interested in people.

At my house, she's been more interactive, cooing at me, choosing to hang out on the side of the cage nearest me, nicely taking treats from my hand, and enthusiastically eating everything I offer her. I'm so excited to start this relationship with her, whatever that may be, and can't wait to see her come out of her shell more over time.

Her vet appointment is this weekend, and a big new enclosure is on order for her. I have no idea how she spent her time at her old home - maybe she was out all day - but her cage was even smaller than my conure's old cage (which she's currently in). I feel like she moves around a bit gingerly, but I'm not familiar enough with Amazons to know if this is cause for concern or not.

View attachment 298737
Pretty girl.

View attachment 298724
Loving her Apple Birdie Brittle from Christine's Chop Shop!

View attachment 298725
She pets her own head every night before bed.
Ohhhh what a beauty!!!! My Zon (bfa)does same, scratch head before bed....that's best time too for cuddle poppers says hi!!! IMG_20180128_165910.jpg

greytlove

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
My OWA only ever experienced the same two perches and tiny cage for the first eight years of her life. Trying to watch her explore was almost painful. I wanted to help her so badly! She was more awkward and unsure than "stiff" when trying out new things. Now I can't seem to make her stop moving! No perch potato for us over here.

Glad she's coming out of her shell and experiencing new things! I'm in love with her already!

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations! I love Amazons and she's gorgeous!

Gigi says hello to the Linnies. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Congrats to you both...and Welcome to the Avenue, Coco! :)

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Congrats! She is precious! So sad that she lost her friends though (bad enough she lost her owner).

Both of mine skritch their own heads too. Late evening and early morning are the best times to get head skritches!

Did you get her a soft rope perch?