1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Coco

Discussion in 'Amazon Avenue' started by suileeka, 3/14/19.

1. suileeka

suileeka Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lindsay
    I'm smitten, and a little in awe of this cool lady. I've wanted an Amazon (a smaller one, like a Lilac Crowned) or Pionus for a few years, but this 20 year old BFA is who ended up in my life instead. She was on consignment sale at a bird store along with a DYH and Grey from the same family. They told me her previous owner died and the spouse couldn't care for the birds alone. Coco was the last to sell, I'm told. When I met her at the store, she was sticking to the back of her cage and didn't seem too interested in people.

At my house, she's been more interactive, cooing at me, choosing to hang out on the side of the cage nearest me, nicely taking treats from my hand, and enthusiastically eating everything I offer her. I'm so excited to start this relationship with her, whatever that may be, and can't wait to see her come out of her shell more over time.

Her vet appointment is this weekend, and a big new enclosure is on order for her. I have no idea how she spent her time at her old home - maybe she was out all day - but her cage was even smaller than my conure's old cage (which she's currently in). I feel like she moves around a bit gingerly, but I'm not familiar enough with Amazons to know if this is cause for concern or not.

IMG_20190311_190206492.jpg
    Pretty girl.

IMG_20190314_123616980.jpg
    Loving her Apple Birdie Brittle from Christine's Chop Shop!

IMG_20190314_200129989.jpg
    She pets her own head every night before bed.

Gen120, faislaq, Rain Bow and 16 others like this.
  2. Mizzely

Mizzely Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Vendor BINGO CHAMPION

Shawna
    You already know I'm smitten from afar with her. I'm so excited for you both :heart:

faislaq, Rain Bow and suileeka like this.
  3. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Roz
    Ohhhhhh she's absolutely gorgeous!!!! Sounds like you are making wonderful progress already! :congratualtions:

4. MommyBird

MommyBird Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

Debbie
    Oh, you are so lucky! I'm biased but BFAs are the best! and they smell good too!
    If Coco hasn't had a diet with much beta carotene/vitamin A in it she could get bumblefoot. check the bottoms of her feet when she's climbing around the cage.
    Both BFAs I've adopted were essentially cage-bound for a long time and they also seemed to have stiff ankles. maybe that's it?

5. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    She might have arthritis in her feet too so check for that. Pretty sure one of Fuzzys Zons has it, just like many of us do as we get older. Lurch used to ball up a foot ane open and close his toes to scritch and he'd grab molted flight feathers and scratch with them too.

6. suileeka

suileeka Rollerblading along the road Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Lindsay
    Her feet look good, no redness. But stiffness would be a good way to describe the way she moves. Also, I noticed her shaking tonight when she was standing on one foot on her flat perch, sort of the way you'd shake from muscle weakness when using a deconditioned muscle.

Rain Bow and greytlove like this.
  7. Lodah

Lodah Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month

Beautiful girl! Thank you for the pictures! :)

Rain Bow, suileeka and cassiesdad like this.
  8. jmfleish

jmfleish Cruising the avenue Celebirdy of the Month Premium Vendor Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Jen
    Congratulations and it's nice to see you back! I've found with my Amazons that they can tend to be a little careful on their feet because they aren't used to having a lot of space to move around in or different things to move on. The same goes for the new greys who come into my life. Once they get used to a new cage with different perches and coming out of their cage and onto playstands and find out what boings are and get used to it, they get more comfortable and start moving more, but it could also be a bit of arthritis as well. Keep us posted!

Rain Bow, suileeka and MommyBird like this.
  9. webchirp

webchirp Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Rescue Representative

Chandra
    Congrats! She is beautiful. Girlie zons are lovely. You could ask the vet about tumeric. Probably wouldn't hurt her if she doesn't have arthritis.

Rain Bow and suileeka like this.
  10. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Michelle
    She's lovely! Congrats!

11. pawfectly

pawfectly Strolling the yard

BFA’s are one of my favourite birds! I am so in love with them and hope to own them one day.
    That is one gorgeous girl! Keep us updated. :)

12. zoo mom

zoo mom Ripping up the road Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Elaine
    Congratulations to both of you. She is beautiful.

13. rockoko

rockoko Squawk and Meow! Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Martine
    Awwww she’s beautiful! Congrats!

14. Hawk12237

Hawk12237 Walking the driveway I Can't Stop Posting!

Michael
    Ohhhh what a beauty!!!! My zon (bfa)does same, scratch head before bed....that's best time too for cuddle poppers says hi!!! IMG_20180128_165910.jpg

Rain Bow, Lodah, suileeka and 4 others like this.
  15. greytlove

greytlove Walking the driveway

Nicole
    My OWA only ever experienced the same two perches and tiny cage for the first eight years of her life. Trying to watch her explore was almost painful. I wanted to help her so badly! She was more awkward and unsure than "stiff" when trying out new things. Now I can't seem to make her stop moving! No perch potato for us over here.

Glad she's coming out of her shell and experiencing new things! I'm in love with her already!

16. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    Congratulations!

17. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Congrats. She is beautiful.

18. Dona

Dona Rollerblading along the road

Dona
    Congratulations! I love Amazons and she's gorgeous!

Gigi says hello to the Linnies. :)

19. cassiesdad

cassiesdad Joyriding the Neighborhood Weather Authority Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Bob Weisman
    Congrats to you both...and Welcome to the Avenue, Coco! :)

20. Clueless

Clueless Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Congrats! She is precious! So sad that she lost her friends though (bad enough she lost her owner).

Both of mine skritch their own heads too. Late evening and early morning are the best times to get head skritches!

Did you get her a soft rope perch?

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)