• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Coco

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Thanks for giving my Coco such a warm welcome!

Coco had HIS vet appointment today. Yes, he is most likely a he, not a she! :eek:

I had remarked to some friends that Coco had an open leg band and I was wondering if it was an import band... Confirmed today it IS an import band, so he's at least 27, not 20, as he was imported through Florida sometime before 1992. Vet doesn't think too much older than that, as he says he usually sees some cataract formation after the age of 30.

He also has some aortic atherosclerosis and possible very minor joint degeneration in one knee and shoulder. Also, he is overweight (he's 635 grams!) and has a small lipoma on his lower abdomen. So good diet and exercise are the prescription. Lucky for me he seems willing to eat almost anything and hasn't fussed about me taking away his seeds. Bloodwork we'll get back later.

@Clueless I will consider the rope perch. I don't usually use them inside cages as I've had two birds eat them. I do have a braided manila rope and two flat perches in there for him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Secret is a he, too. I did DNA on their first visits.

Secret likes the rope perch. I monitor it because the bird likes to pull and bite on it when she's showing me she can be ornery. I have multiple perches of varying sizes in her cage..... plus one flat perch.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I read recently there were over 500K wild caught BFAs recorded in captivity around the world..

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Your Fid is a beauty! I love the last poofy head pic you posted I think its very nice! I'm glad that diet & exercise is the prescription. What was the clue on the import? The fact that the band had an opening?

I wondered this about Buddy. My Step-mom bought him for my Dad here in NY 20-25 yrs ago. But he has a FL cuff. We tried to track it calling a bunch of breeders but as some of you know, it was fruitless.

:gbh:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
What was the clue on the import? The fact that the band had an opening?
Not just the opening, but the style of band. Rounded SS rather than a flat metal, and the letters fit the format of import bands. USDA Bird Leg Band Information. Also confirmation from my vet, who's been an avian vet for many years.

According to the leg band group on yahoo, all records for the private import stations in Florida were destroyed years ago.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very interesting! I'm pretty sure it was after. I cant check his band (in bed) but I'm pretty sure it's flat. He also only has 2 letters a F & L

I don't think there's anything on his band besides his #'s but I'll double check tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

:hug9:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
You guys were right; he's getting more sure on his feet as he gets used to everything. He's even comfortable now on the large diameter perch he didn't trust his footing on before.

IMG_20190317_191049873.jpg

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I read recently there were over 500K wild caught BFAs recorded in captivity around the world..
Wow! Who knew?

Secret goes into a panic when a lawn mower or a leaf blower goes off near her. Instantly flies off the perch stand and, thankful for wings clipped, goes to the floor. I mean INSTANTLY. Makes me wonder if engines were involved in how Secret was caught.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@suileeka

Ok, I'm not sure now that I looked at his cuff. It's not open but the edges are rounded (could just be worn away) Its a red/almost maroon color. Not that matters except the rounded edges really seem to be lacking color now. Not completely around like an end to a dog choker chain (for lack of a better example.)

Theres 2 letters up & down

L
F

Then theres 3 letters across

SPA

Then a space & his 3 #'s

I don't think he falls in this pool but since I haven't researched any of this stuff in a couple of yrs. I just thought you may know.

Thank you for your time!

:bighug:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
@Rain Bow Sounds like a domestic band, which are unfortunately hard to trace. A metal band that's colored like that is aluminum.. the color does wear off around the edges over time.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow FL and SPA would be Shady Pines Aviary, Gloria Balaban. However she breeds Caiques and Brotogeris. Maybe she used to breed other types of birds.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Rain Bow FL and SPA would be Shady Pines Aviary, Gloria Balaban. However she breeds Caiques and Brotogeris. Maybe she used to breed other types of birds.

I'll check to see if I called her. The names really familiar. If it is who I think it is ... She told me it wasn't her & sent me elsewhere & to no avail.

Well, he's mine now!!! I'll keep him .:D

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, that was the 1st place we checked, she said it wasn't ever her & Ron. Well, I'll keep him forever & ever.

:thankyou: Both for your help!!!

@suileeka .

I'm glad he's finding his feet! I bet he's gonna get stronger & stronger.

Also, probably loven the soft rope under his tootsies.

:hug7:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's usually difficult to find the breeder. They aren't listed anywhere or they have closed shop.

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
aww he's beautiful! Sammy has an open leg band too and the same as your 'zons, rounded open metal with 2 letters and the rest are numbers. I also researched it and found out from that same yahoo group. Sammy was also unsure of her footing when I first got her but over time she better with her footing especially since she became flighted.