• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs Female red bellies- personality differences?

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Hey everyone!

I am new to the forums, I have been browsing around them for the last couple days and decided to make an account and keep digging a little more since everyone seems so nice and helpful here.

I've been looking into what parrot to get for the last couple months and the African red belly has been standing out to me, I've been researching a lot about their pros/cons and so far they seem like they might fit pretty well what I am looking for. So my question is this:

Females seem to be easier to find from breeders and I think they are pretty too with the grey and green. What makes me hesitant to get a female though is whenever I see videos of red bellies or people talking about their experience with them, they are very nearly always males with the orange/red belly (as the name of the parrot would suggest haha) not the grey/green females being shown or talked about.

I'm curious if anyone knows if male and female red bellies are any different in personality/disposition, or if they are both the same aside from appearance. Males more active, females more laid back, one louder/quieter than the other, ect.

Does the sex have any impact on what they are like, making males a more desirable personality to have as a pet? Is it JUST for the looks that people go for males?

Thanks for reading :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Each bird is an individual and I don't want to generalize about male personality vs female personality. The personalities of my red-bellies vary. The sweetest one is Sophie. She is also VERY outgoing and is friendly towards everyone, although by everyone I mean people. She isn't always friendly towards other birds. Most of the boys are a bit nippy but Sophie's sister, Claudé, also has a tendency to nip/bite. Both my males and females are active/playful. My best talker was a male who I no longer have. He had a huge vocabulary and would use language appropriately. At this time Sophie is the best talker. My shyest red-belly is a male, Zack. He gets scared very easily and I have to be extra careful with him.
They are all silly ("goofballs"), inquisitive, and intelligent and they are interested in almost everything.
I think some people prefer the males due to their coloration. The orange red abdomen/chest is stunning. However I think that the females' coloring is beautiful. Some are more grey, some more green and some more orange although not the solid orange like the males.
Why are you considering a red-bellied parrot? How does a red-bellied fit in with what you are looking for?

Last edited:

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
@iamwhoiam

Thanks for the reply— and the pictures, she’s beautiful! I think they’re gorgeous without the orange belly

Originally I was looking into a Quaker, but the generalization I’ve heard and seen with them is they are loud. There may be a time I have to move and I don’t want to have to get rid of him or harshly narrow housing options with thinner walls. I used to help out in an aviary and I recall the Quaker’s being noisier.

I wanted something that is on the quieter side (though I know that personalities vary, one could be loud despite the stereotype and any of them will make noise sometimes, but for that and other reasons conures/Quaker’s seemed too risky and more likely to scream) I used to have parakeets and wanted something a bit bigger and more engaging. something that can be playful/goofy/clowny and sweet, I love caiques for this but they didn’t seem to fit otherwise from what I’ve read, loris seemed good in that way but their diet and such around them makes me more hesitant for them. I less want something that only wants to sit motionless or only cuddle, I like the activity. I’ve heard some red bellies are willing to snug for a little bit too, depending on their individual personality, I’ve also heard of ones hating to cuddle though. Something also can be a little more independent if he needs to be for a little bit (nothing as crazy as “I’m not looking at you all day, entertain yourself!” Of course, just if I’m running an hour or so late wont be too awful) something that isn’t as likely to like only me, I also know that can vary and happen anyways, but there’s other species I’ve heard of being way more notorious for that. Size fits for what I can afford cage wise as well. Also something that has he ability to talk, though not going to be mad if it didnt. I hear red bellies are he best talkers of the pois. That they’re less prone to cage aggression as Quaker’s too. I wanted something smarter and inquisitive, I plan on spending a lot of time working with it too so taking hours and hours out of the day with a poi and the potential hippiness isn’t a negative for me, I’ve got the time for it and want to. All among other things I’ve seen about them that seems to fit what I’d like, I’m just typing this out while getting ready to leave the house so it might not be a complete reasoning list haha.

Ive been doing loads of research on a bunch of different parrots and reading of experiences on here and a red belly or a Meyers seem to fit the best, I hear they have their similarities. Meyers seem to be easier to find, and I was unsure if gender mattered for red bellies, which is one reason I was leaning towards a Meyers I found available instead of the female red belly, but if sex doesn’t really make an impact itself and is just honest personality difference, would a red belly or Meyers fit the above better in your opinion?

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Sociable, that’s a word I was trying to think of while typing all that out and couldn’t at the time lol

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I went through EXACTLY the same process as you, and pretty much decided the same thing. I own a home and won’t be moving but noisy is an issue for me because my ears hurt.

I can’t answer your question because I ended up not getting yhe red belly and have never had a Myers. I went with caiques and even with 2 they don’t entertain themselves! They yell for me!

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Yeah I was set on the female red belly til I realized most videos and such are of males and I was suddenly like ehh, are only boys like this and girls different? Sometimes I feel like I am being wishy washy but since I plan on having this little guy/girl for a looong time, I'm real cautions about weighing every little detail before committing hard haha.

The caiques I have seen are SO hilarious and hyper! I hear they got some major attitude too and aren't shy to show it haha

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The caiques I have seen are SO hilarious and hyper! I hear they got some major attitude too and aren't shy to show it haha
YES! Definitely that. I guess there's always a down side. :D

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
My girl, Tori, is about 14. She's got her own subtle beauty. Her back under her wings is blue and green - just amazing. She is very, very sweet with me. She is absolute putty with me. She will go to my kids (11, 9, and 5) but is a bit leery. She talks a tiny bit, hi baby, c'mere, Hi Tori Tori Tori. She is an excellent whistler, and makes noises of several of my other birds. She can be downright aggressive with other birds though...I do have to be careful about that. She is a lot of fun, not too loud, and she's just as content to snooze on my shoulder as she is to explore.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My girl, Tori, is about 14. She's got her own subtle beauty. Her back under her wings is blue and green - just amazing. She is very, very sweet with me. She is absolute putty with me. She will go to my kids (11, 9, and 5) but is a bit leery. She talks a tiny bit, hi baby, c'mere, Hi Tori Tori Tori. She is an excellent whistler, and makes noises of several of my other birds. She can be downright aggressive with other birds though...I do have to be careful about that. She is a lot of fun, not too loud, and she's just as content to snooze on my shoulder as she is to explore.

Isn't that blue coloration beautiful? Sometimes it almost seems to be fluorescent. Tori sounds very sweet. Post some photos of her. My two females who I hand raised can be aggressive towards one another. They lived together for many years and then I had to separate them because Sophie was ill. When I tried to cage them together again they started fighting. If I put them on a stand together they start chasing each other and not to be playful but to fight. Sophie was also not nice towards her older sister (passed away a few years ago). I would try to have them sit on a play stand together and Sophie would try to knock Becca off the stand. I never noticed aggressiveness towards other birds with Becca. She just wanted to sit with her younger sisters but that never worked out well. She was always good about sitting with her brothers. She would hang out with them and there were never any fights.

@Chelsey

Sophie has always been friendly. Claudé went through a phobic stage starting when she was about 4-6 mos. old. Don't remember exactly when it happened. She wouldn't come near me and would rarely come out of her cage. Lasted a few years. She did start hanging out on the cage door or the top of the cage but would run away when I came near her. Sophie started talking at 10 weeks of age and Claudé started a few days later but when that phobic stage started she totally stopped talking. One day she suddenly said, "Come here. Give me a kiss." I was so shocked and happy. I offered her my finger and she immediately stepped up. It was amazing. Claudé was back. However within seconds she bit me quite hard and then started laughing. What a brat! I was not happy about the bite but very happy that she had finally come out of the phobic thing. They recently celebrated their 17th bird-days.

Last edited:

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Here she is! I have a hard time getting a good picture of her because she moves so much! She is very, very sweet.

tori.JPG
tori2.JPG

The last one really shows off her green. I love the hints of orange!

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Sophie has always been friendly. Claudé went through a phobic stage starting when she was about 4-6 mos. old. Don't remember exactly when it happened. She wouldn't come near me and would rarely come out of her cage. Lasted a few years. She did start hanging out on the cage door or the top of the cage but would run away when I came near her. Sophie started talking at 10 weeks of age and Claudé started a few days later but when that phobic stage started she totally stopped talking. One day she suddenly said, "Come here. Give me a kiss." I was so shocked and happy. I offered her my finger and she immediately stepped up. It was amazing. Claudé was back. However within seconds she bit me quite hard and then started laughing. What a brat! I was not happy about the bite but very happy that she had finally come out of the phobic thing. They recently celebrated their 17th bird-days.
I've heard about the phobic tendencies of pois. Is it something that is what it is and they just have to deal with, is it less possible to work with and "train" through it to make it less of an issue? She couldn't let you be TOO happy she was good now, gotta keep you on your toes haha

@jujube1209

Shes so pretty, how old is she?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@jujube1209 She is very cute. Thanks for posting the photos. Have you had her since she was a baby?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Those red bellied parrots are so beautiful. There are no breeders here in Southern California. I got a brown headed parrot, but I wanted a friend for him.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard about the phobic tendencies of pois. Is it something that is what it is and they just have to deal with, is it less possible to work with and "train" through it to make it less of an issue? She couldn't let you be TOO happy she was good now, gotta keep you on your toes haha

@jujube1209

Shes so pretty, how old is she?

It's not predictable and even if you try working through it that isn't necessarily effective. They have to come out of it on their own. One just has to be patient. Important not to force the bird to step up and come out of the cage. Continue to interact but let that bird guide you as to how much and what kind of interaction.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Those red bellied parrots are so beautiful. There are no breeders here in Southern California. I got a brown headed parrot, but I wanted a friend for him.
Have you checked into getting another brown head or perhaps a Senegal or Meyer's? If you get a second bird, the birds may or may not get along with each other.
Have you contacted Omar's Exotic Birds?

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Have you checked into getting another brown head or perhaps a Senegal or Meyer's? If you get a second bird, the birds may or may not get along with each other.
Have you contacted Omar's Exotic Birds?
Ha ha! I actually got my bird from Omar's Exotic Birds! They do not have any breeding pairs of the Red Bellied.

I was wanting a Red Bellied as a friend, but I know I run the risk. I would have bought my little guy's sister, but she was sold first. They have Senegal's coming, I do not think about Meyer's however.

Ultimately however, I will likely be waiting, my brown headed is not coming home just yet with me. I will probably relook into getting him a friend in about a year or so. I just hope the age difference does not affect their relationship.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ha ha! I actually got my bird from Omar's Exotic Birds! They do not have any breeding pairs of the Red Bellied.

I was wanting a Red Bellied as a friend, but I know I run the risk. I would have bought my little guy's sister, but she was sold first. They have Senegal's coming, I do not think about Meyer's however.

Ultimately however, I will likely be waiting, my brown headed is not coming home just yet with me. I will probably relook into getting him a friend in about a year or so. I just hope the age difference does not affect their relationship.

They had a breeding pair many yrs. ago but they were not good parents and would injure the babies. If you want a red-bellied you may have to have on shipped.
How old is your Brown Headed parrot now? When is he/she due to come home?