• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Male vs Female red bellies- personality differences?

ReNap

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Chelsey
Are the general cage requirements the same between meyers and red bellies? I had posted about a 36L x 24D x 36.5H in. 3/4 bar spacing cage for a meyers and replies said it was good. Same for a RB?

@likeaarbear There's one breeder I know who has a baby Meyers male available now if you were ever going to think about one and were gonna poke around

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My red-bellies are in various cages but my favorite one is the Avian Adventures Chiquita play top.
Which 36X24 are you referring to?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know nothing about that cage. If that cage works for a Meyer's it will work for a red-bellied parrot. The Chiquita also has 3/4" bar spacing. Be aware that the Prevue cage is not being sold by Walmart but by a 3rd party vendor, UnbeatableSale.
The Chiquita cage is very easy to assemble. No tools are generally needed except to pound the wheels into place and also if any tabs are bent and need to be straightened. It is a sturdy, easy to clean cage. The play top is removable so that you can use it off of the cage in another location. You don't have to use the grate whereas some cages if you don't use the grate there is a gap which is not safe. There are two tracks, one for the grate and one for the tray so you can put the grate in the top track if you want to use it or in the bottom track if you want to store it. However, it is smaller than the one you linked to and most places are out of stock of them right now but they are on a slow boat from China and sooner or later the Midwest Metals/Homes for Pets warehouse should be restocked.

I have a few Avian Adventures cages: Chiquitas, Medianas and a Loro.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is Roswell in a Chiquita cage:
roswell 6016a.jpg

Here is Lucy in her Chiquita:
lucy 1.jpg

Photos taken when cages were new so more things in them now. Just posting so you can get an idea of the size.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron

They had a breeding pair many yrs. ago but they were not good parents and would injure the babies. If you want a red-bellied you may have to have on shipped.
How old is your Brown Headed parrot now? When is he/she due to come home?
I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

I do not want to buy a bird and have it shipped, I bet that experience is terrible. As beautiful as the Red/green bellies are, I could never bring my self to do that.

His hatch date is 4/28 of this year, they said he is likely to be able to go home with my at some point in August, September at the latest. I visit him every other day and he can already eat solo, so I would not be surprised if it is sooner to be honest.

likeaarbear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aaron
Are the general cage requirements the same between meyers and red bellies? I had posted about a 36L x 24D x 36.5H in. 3/4 bar spacing cage for a meyers and replies said it was good. Same for a RB?

@likeaarbear There's one breeder I know who has a baby Meyers male available now if you were ever going to think about one and were gonna poke around
@Chelsey are they located in Southern California? If so, do you happen to know a price? And is this breeder reliable?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did not know that. Thanks for the information.

I do not want to buy a bird and have it shipped, I bet that experience is terrible. As beautiful as the Red/green bellies are, I could never bring my self to do that.

His hatch date is 4/28 of this year, they said he is likely to be able to go home with my at some point in August, September at the latest. I visit him every other day and he can already eat solo, so I would not be surprised if it is sooner to be honest.

Shipping of birds is done frequently. My Dusky Conure was shipped from Virginia. Could not find one locally. However, it's always better if you can find a bird locally through a rescue or a breeder.