• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make your own parrot toys versus buy your own parrot toys?

Which parrot owner activity do you do?

• I don't buy or make parrot toys. I purchase wood and chop it up for my parrots to destroy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
I only have X number of dollars, and a whole giant herd of various animals to feed, house, keep entertained and take to the vet, so I try to make the most of those dollars.

I buy things I can't make and will last forever or at least a long time (skewers, corkscrews, the sterling twirl, certain foraging toys, SS toys, buckets, etc.). I buy a few things that my birds love and that I can't replicate without spending more on tools than I can justify (MPBT waffles, for example). I have splurged and purchased atoms; although I could make them, I know they wouldn't be as nice or as durable as the MPBT ones.

Other than that, I buy parts, including wood to cut myself. My hands are calloused even without toy making. :p

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I do make most of my toys and constantly reuse the SS parts of old toys over and over. I can't say my toys are anything other people would ooh and ahh over, but the birds don't seem to care :)

Merlin is the most likely for me to buy things for as she is more into shredding toys like pinatas and things made from sea grass. And she goes through birdie bagels now like I go through tissue in hay fever season. But, she's also happy with a box to tear up.

Rowdy has inherited some things I bought for Pete that he was just too terrified of.

As for tying knots, use a couple of small pairs of vise grips, Saemma. My arthritis in my hands makes it too hard to do myself so those are my friends :) Callouses? I take care of horses and garden and my hands would be ugly even if I didn't :D

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Up until now I have been making Franken-toys, taking half destroyed toys and putting them together to sort of make new toy out of it.
It was getting Topaz that made me really want to step up with the toy making. Seeing the prices for macaw toys and knowing that she would just make toothpicks out of it :eek: Theres some motivation!

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I make more toys than buy them. I find it is much easier, because, I can make a heap and I have some there for backup when the other toys have been destroyed to the point of no use, and just replace them when need be.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
I both buy and make. I love buying and receiving cute toys in the mail, but just can't afford to do that all the time. Seeing the cute toys inspires me, though, when I'm making toys and bolsters my creativity. I go through phases. I'll make a bunch of toys over a period of time and then will get burnt out and want to buy everything. :lol:All in all, I make more than I buy due to expense and the fact that Olive is pretty simple in her tastes. She's pretty content with some pine slats to chip and the occasional foraging toy.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I only have X number of dollars, and a whole giant herd of various animals to feed, house, keep entertained and take to the vet, so I try to make the most of those dollars.

I buy things I can't make and will last forever or at least a long time (skewers, corkscrews, the sterling twirl, certain foraging toys, SS toys, buckets, etc.). I buy a few things that my birds love and that I can't replicate without spending more on tools than I can justify (MPBT waffles, for example). I have splurged and purchased atoms; although I could make them, I know they wouldn't be as nice or as durable as the MPBT ones.

Other than that, I buy parts, including wood to cut myself. My hands are calloused even without toy making. :p
:eek:
Wow! YOu cut your own wood too!?!! :lol: I can only imagine what trouble I'd get myself in if I had a saw.

I do make most of my toys and constantly reuse the SS parts of old toys over and over. I can't say my toys are anything other people would ooh and ahh over, but the birds don't seem to care :)

Merlin is the most likely for me to buy things for as she is more into shredding toys like pinatas and things made from sea grass. And she goes through birdie bagels now like I go through tissue in hay fever season. But, she's also happy with a box to tear up.

Rowdy has inherited some things I bought for Pete that he was just too terrified of.

As for tying knots, use a couple of small pairs of vise grips, Saemma. My arthritis in my hands makes it too hard to do myself so those are my friends :) Callouses? I take care of horses and garden and my hands would be ugly even if I didn't :D
Thanks for the tip Audrey. :D Will do that. Today I actually made 3 toys to prove to myself that I could and believe it or not my hands don't feel raw or sore. Will purchase those pliers/vice grips just in case toy making mood strikes me again before the end of the year or later on.:lol:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
what is up with Pete being scared of toys?

Yirabeth

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Carmen
I would have chosen both 3 and 4 if I could...I buy toys, I'm learning to make them, (and planning on mostly making in the future) but I'm not above handing Gracie a chunk of wood/cardboard/wad of newspaper/etc to destroy...I mean, that's what's gonna happen right?? So here, have at it girlie....LOL (I just clicked 3 because volume-wise, most toys are either storebought or self-made.)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
what is up with Pete being scared of toys?

The poor thing never had any in his previous home for 28 years :( He also never had any perches other than one branch in his tiny cage that was too small a diameter for his feet. So he is also afraid of new perches that aren't branches. That's why I had to get him that Java tree. I have two old Parrot Tower PVC play stands with PVC perches that are shaped like branches for foot exercise, but he's scared to death of them.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I forgot, for Saemma, the reason I recommend the vise grips is that they lock down. So if you get them adjusted right (there is a big screw on the end of one of the grips that you use to do that), they won't come off when you pull. So you can use your strength for pulling tightly. With regular pliers you not only have to pull, but also to use your hand strength to try to clamp down on the rope. And no doubt they will slip off and possibly you could hit yourself in the face when they let go.

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i love buying toys and then recycling/supplementing them with toy parts. though i do prefer to by toy parts since it's much cheaper

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
i love buying toys and then recycling/supplementing them with toy parts. though i do prefer to by toy parts since it's much cheaper
You really think it's much cheaper? How did you come to that conclusion?:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I forgot, for Saemma, the reason I recommend the vise grips is that they lock down. So if you get them adjusted right (there is a big screw on the end of one of the grips that you use to do that), they won't come off when you pull. So you can use your strength for pulling tightly. With regular pliers you not only have to pull, but also to use your hand strength to try to clamp down on the rope. And no doubt they will slip off and possibly you could hit yourself in the face when they let go.
Thanks so much Audrey. I appreciate it.:)

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien

You really think it's much cheaper? How did you come to that conclusion?:)
i just calculate it based on bulk wood/toy part/cordage prices, and how many toys i can make versus buy for that same price. i don't factor in time because i usually have free time on the weekends. so for me at least, making toys is cheaper
though my toys aren't nearly as pretty....

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I buy them! Who has time or energy to make toys????:eek::eek:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
i just calculate it based on bulk wood/toy part/cordage prices, and how many toys i can make versus buy for that same price. i don't factor in time because i usually have free time on the weekends. so for me at least, making toys is cheaper
though my toys aren't nearly as pretty....
Yep, I can look at many toys and guess how much it would cost me to make. Most times I have enough of the materials to make it myself without buying anything more. I tend to only buy stuff that is reasonably priced or is too much work :lol: Some vendors (mostly off the forum) are definitely pricier for what they are selling! :eek:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Yep, I can look at many toys and guess how much it would cost me to make. Most times I have enough of the materials to make it myself without buying anything more. I tend to only buy stuff that is reasonably priced or is too much work :lol: Some vendors (mostly off the forum) are definitely pricier for what they are selling! :eek:
Really? :huh: :huh: Hmm, I wonder how much someone would be willing to pay for those 3 toys I made yesterday:D

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Lately, I've no time at all and have been buying most of them, but when I have more time on my hands I like to make lots of toys. Since I tend to have picky little birds, I can make toys with only the parts they like!