• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Make your own parrot toys versus buy your own parrot toys?

Which parrot owner activity do you do?

• I don't buy or make parrot toys. I purchase wood and chop it up for my parrots to destroy.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Which category do you fit in? If you do both regularly, please choose option 3.

Choose option 4 for any other reason and elaborate in thread please.:)

I personally tend to buy toys already made. I have LOTS of toy parts but really can't be bothered unless it's a quick, quick put it on a skewer, or string it through some rope and knot situation.

I don't like the amount of time it takes me to make and be satisfied with my creations and I also don't like how chafed my fingers feel just from tying or undoing knots, etc. I prefer that someone else do the work and have a high appreciation for toy makers who are dedicated and passionate about making other people's parrots happy.:yahoo:

I guess my parrot don't really mind, however I like providing thoughtfully made and pretty toys for them, hence I'm a ready to enjoy TOY BUYER.:shopcart:

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D My poll is up now.:D

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Option 3- I actually like making toys, but I'm not that creative. I really admire our AA vendors who have learned to think like birds. :D So I make, and I buy, always taking note of their clever tricks. But I never catch them.

Last edited:

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
I'm the same as you Saemma. I want to start making my own toys eventually but right now have no space for all the parts organization/storage...plus our vendors put any toys I could make to shame! The extent of toy making I do is stringing a bunch of wood on a leather lace and attaching a quick link. :lol: so I voted for option 1, because I don't do it often, and it doesn't really count.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I occasionally make them, but I don't have a lot of patience for it (and yet I keep buying toy parts). However, I do prefer making swings to buying them, so I selected "A little of both", as those are toys of a sort. :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Some of each.:)

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I really like making toys :) It gives me a nice creative outlet, and is an activity that I can do WITH the parrots. But, I also appreciate the work that of vendors, and often can't resist the excellent customer care, sales, and ingenuity that several of our vendors offer. It's really hard for me to pay for some toys, though, when I know I have all of the parts here and can make a facsimile in 30 minutes or less. So, I tend to only purchase toys that it would are: A) Difficult for me to make B) Are priced in a way that I know getting the individual parts would not be a major savings, or C) are SUPER cute. :lol:

The majority of my "hoard" is various toy parts :) It is nice to have some pre-made toys though for when I am just not in the mood to create my own.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:D I'll also add that I've discovered that the true Perks of having many parrots is that if one parrot doesn't like some part of a toy, there is definitely another parrot who will appreciate it and FINISH it off.:dancing: It helps me to be less stressed out when I'm buying toys because it's not really for just one of them, it's for ALL of them. :D

Last edited:

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:lol:YOu make me giggle Dawn.:lol: Thank you for doing what you do for the rest of us.:hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
:D I'll also add that I've discovered that the true Perks of having many parrots is that if one parrot doesn't like some part of a toy, there is definitely another parrot who will appreciate it and FINISH it off.:dancing: It helps me to be less stressed out when I'm buying toys because it's not really for just one of them, it's for ALL of them. :D
I agree! What one bird doesn't finish, another will :) Makes me much happier to buy pre-made toys than I was when I had just Jingo.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

I agree! What one bird doesn't finish, another will :) Makes me much happier to buy pre-made toys than I was when I had just Jingo.
Amen to that!! Even less food waste too. I felt a bit neurotic when I only had Sachi and Emma, they have their quirks and preferences.

Thomas and Mabel are MUCH more GO with the FLOW about TOYS and Food.:cool:

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some of each also.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just like buying them,I really wanted to and tried to make my own and got a ton of parts but I just dont have the creativity or drive to make them,so I'm much rather pay to get stuff Nala loves from our beloved vendors.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I do more making, then buying ~ mostly budget related. But I do buy when I can!

Matter of fact I just had a two hour toy making session with my oldest daughter...I made a gift for a friend though...cause its way too small for Ducky!!! :D

But I also made a new foot toy, and my daughter made a pine one hanging toy...

blackivory

Real Name
Chels
I buy and make. Normally buy when I see a new toy in the store but I have started to buy stuff from craft stores, which has been a hit.

My aviary parrots don't really get toys as I can't supervise them 24/7 but they get fresh branches daily, which is still a toy to them!

dadof5

Sprinting down the street
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Dave
Summer makes the small toys, and I make the big ones, and we spoil with store bought.:hehe: