• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Made Some Toys

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
So, I started making some toys from the new stuff I got from California Bird Toys. I haven’t made much yet, but I have plenty more materials to make even more toys. :)

image.jpg
I made a mini foraging basket. Not much, but it has raffia, sola chips (these are so soft and easy to break; perfect for my guys!), straws, paper, beads, and balled up paper with treats inside. Oh, and I sprinkled some millet inside.

71A1B447-4524-49C5-AFE6-B3292EDE8F41.jpeg
Made of little foraging cups, leather lace, and some beads on the bottom, this toy is going to have treats inside each cup. The only problem I see with this toy is that the cups may tip a bit, but I don’t think that’ll be a big problem.

4F2C3138-0A5D-4228-AE11-0AEC6B9A9114.jpeg
Lastly, I took 4 finger traps, shut one end up with raffia, filled it with a special seed treat, and then closed off the other end. Hopefully with some encouragement, the birds will chew through the bamboo tubes to the yummy goodies!

Okay, that’s all I have for now. Just wanted to share. :) I might be back here later with more toys.

Attachments

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Good job! My Fids would love them to pieces...literally! When does your new toy business open???

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
What is the code to get a discount at California Bird Nerds?

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thank you all! :) You're all sweet.

When does your new toy business open???

:lol:Unfortunately, no new bird toy business open right now. :DI would really love to open a toy business one day and become a vendor here. We'll see! :)

Those looks perfect for your budgies.

Thank you! I really do hope they like 'em! They're not the best looking toys, but hey, I don't think the birds will care. :p

Good job on the toys!! Id love to make my own some time! :) I wanna make some out of wood blocks and want to make my own perches sometime too. :) Keep em coming

Thanks, Katelyn! You should definitely try making your own soon. :) I love making bird toys, I've always been an arts and crafts person. Your birds will appreciate it, too. I'm thinking about trying to make my own platform perch for my guys soon. We'll see how that goes! :)

And thanks, @Sarahmoluccan! :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Well done Kiera! Love the foraging basket! Have they tried them yet? Recently I Made a ton of fancy toys, usually I just make things they will hopefully love but not pretty, now they stopped playing with toys and only chew popsicle sticks and their baskets:rolleyes: They spend to much time doing that and kissing, I am suprised they find the time to eat!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thank you guys! :)

@TikiMyn, they have not tried them yet. I haven’t added them to their cage yet, as I plan to change up a lot of the setup in there very soon.

I made another one. This one, unlike the others, is not a foraging toy, but a shredding toy.
E0A9211F-8D26-4041-8132-F41E9AEBB9F1.jpeg
Sola chips and small wooden beads slid on to a stainless steel wire. I’m going to look over mainly the wire part and make sure there’s no dangerous parts (sharp parts, etc.), but for the most part I’m finished with it! I’m happier with how this one turned out. But the thing is I don’t know how much it’s going to be used. My Budgies have never been wood shredders. They will rip up paper in foraging toys and they just love ripping up/picking at seagrass toys, but that’s about it. However, the good thing about this wooden toy is that it has sola. It is extremely easy to snap, I chipped a few on accident while making this. :shy: The beads are there to separate the sola chips out a bit more, PLUS the birds may want to ‘beak’ them. The beads are also good at holding the chips more in place. A few of the chips had bigger holes than the wire needed, and it resulted in them being a bit wobbly, but the beads helped with that! :)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Okay, I’m already back! :lol:

4A53B5C3-DC04-4131-9FBD-8D8B8D91387B.jpeg
This one isn’t much, but I’m just trying to give them options. Made of leather lace, textured beads, and matching lids (used for shredding, MAYBE) that went to the foraging cups I used earlier. Plus, I added a bell and a smiley mug on the bottom. :D I love that smiley mug, and I have more for future toys! I made a mistake on it, though, and didn’t tie the knot close enough to the lid on the very bottom. The knots help keep them in place better, but because I didn’t tie it as close as I did to the others, it turned out a bit wobbly, even though the picture doesn’t show it. Anyways, not my best, but I’m just trying to give them different toy options.

And, oh my gosh, as I type this, Nico is doing some kind of cute twirling dance on his perch :rofl:. I :heart: :budgie:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Love those! I hope they Will like them, the sola may tempt them to start shredding and the beads may get them started, Henkie had a bead obsession where he would beak them for hours and they both adore snappy beads!
And nico’s Dance! Sounds sooo adorable!!!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Your creative juices are flowing. They all are terrific, I especially like the finger traps, that's a good idea ,I'm going to try your finger trap foraging idea. I have the stainless steel bird skewers to string them on in between other goodies. :)

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Your creative juices are flowing. They all are terrific, I especially like the finger traps, that's a good idea ,I'm going to try your finger trap foraging idea. I have the stainless steel bird skewers to string them on in between other goodies. :)

Thank you so much, Suzanne! :)

I really hope your guys like the finger trap idea. :D

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I stuffed a finger trap recently with the shred paper and put it in their new travel cage that I'm trying to get them comfy with! These toys you made are magnificent for them - simple, but interesting and man.... I know what you mean on tying the knots (mistakes), I've done that over and over!
I hope the millet covered bars on the roof and the finger trap sticking through the top bars will be enough to coerce them in by fall! :laugh:

calibird

California Bird Nerds
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Real Name
Ann