• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Macaw questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
Okay, I'll admit it. Lately I've been fascinated with macaws. :o: I've been seeing a lot of a B&G and GW at the local bird store behind my conures and ladies back and I'm starting to fall a bit in love. I've no intention of getting either of them, but it's made me research more online and I have to admit I'm starting to feel more then a little entranced with them. At the moment I've been looking at the Military, the B&G and the GWs more then the rest. So here's a few questions..

What was the biggest obstacle in getting into the larger macs? For me I'm thinking it's the fact I don't own my own house.

What made you first get interested in them?

How the heck do you guys keep those tails so pretty?!?! They're so long! No matter how big the cage or the like, I'd imagine they have to turn around and rub against the bars at some point when they're moving around!

GlassOnion

I'm gonna eye this thread!:dance4: A Macaw is my absolute dream-dream-dream bird, which makes it all the more likely unrealistic. But the first time I held a Military, DAYUM that feel was *quite* different from any other bird I've met.

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Everytime I get the GW on my arm he gets all dozy and leans in to get his head rubbed. He's so beaky too! He reminds me of a really big conure. Thank goodness my pair have gotten me used to testing things before stepping up. The B&G though has such a quirky personalty. He's always strutting around and showing off whenever I'm there. I'm starting to dream about them, I just doubt I could ever have one sadly. I have no real plans to own my own house. :( But I can still dream. :cloud9:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I too am enthralled with these gorgeous birds, especially since joining this site :) But I have to admit - those big beaks are threatening! Hopefully you get some macaw owners through here to answer your questions so I can learn too :)

DarkSoldier246

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Eric
I recently took the plunge and adopted a 16 year old scarlet and she is QUITE the challenge and joy.

Let me start by saying she is COMPLETELY different than any of my other birds. She has a very strong personality and demands A LOT of attention. She absolutely hates my girlfriend so it makes things a little more difficult since I am the only one who can take her out, etc.

Some obstacles for me were $$, i adopted her with a cage for free, but between the new bigger cage i bought her, BIG bird toys (much more expensive than smaller bird toys and MAN does she go through toys quickly!) Grooming, food, vet, etc. It ends up costing a lot more than any other bird i;ve ever owned.

I am very fortunate in that I have my own house so I dont have to worry about the noise, but she is actually on the quieter side for a macaw. But she does scream atleast once a day for maybe a minute or two which having lived in apartments before, i know wouldnt work out. She also is just LOUD in general, when im with her she is constantly talking to me or muttering but she has no indoor voice!:lol:

Keeping her tail looking good has never been an issue, I thought it would have been too, she always seeems to whack me in the face with it but other than that shes pretty graceful (unless shes getting into trouble!) Which brings me to my next point, she NEVER is content just sitting on her playgym or stand.

My caique will sit by herself on her stand and be entertained all day however my scarlet NEEDS to be walking around the room exploring, or on me playing with me, which is awesome but can also be stressful if youre a busy person, as i am being a full time college student and full time worker.

Hope this helped and I hope you don;t get discouraged because of the obstacles. I never thought i would own a macaw but life threw one at me and i was ready for it!

Attachments

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
Baby large macaws almost always have ratty or broken tail feathers. They have not yet learned how to take care of their tail. Adult large macaws have gorgeous tails because they move in such a way as not to damage/break the tail feathers.
Adult macaws that are seldom out of cages, can have ratty looking tails, too:)
You mentioned 3 macaw species that we've had.
Military macaw - why we were drawn to this species was because of their slightly "spicey" personality.
Blue and Golds - one of the most gorgeous macaws (in my opinion).
Green Wing macaws - a true 'gentle giant'. Of the 3 species you mention, Green Wings are the most laid back, the most predicatble and gentle.
Personally, there were no obstacles in living with large macaws. You need to have the space, the means to supply them with more expensive toys - bigger birds need bigger toys, the means to purchase very large cages, and understand the noise factor.
It was so many years ago that we saw large macaws for the first time; for us, seeing them in person was the "hook".

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
My ex was the one who wanted a macaw, and we adopted Ziggy. Getting to know Ziggy is what made me a macaw peson - so emotionally expressive, loving, curious, such depth of character and personality.

But, yeah, they're a full time job - they keep you busy, providing sufficient intellectual, physical and emotional stimulation for them.

The consensus seems to be that GWs are the laid back, gentle giants. That has not been my experience with my macaws - Rosebud is by far the most challenging of my three. (And I understand from those with male GWs, that they can be a real challenge when they reach sexual maturity.)

MacDaddie

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Bob
Any macaw will be a representation of what you put into them, plain and simple. You put love, joy, guidance, faith, trust, etc., in—you'll get it back ten-fold and the rewards are amazing.

Okay... forgive me if I step on some feathers here, but GWs are not always the bird that people "brag" them to be, I have one and I adore my girl but she does have her moments. If I had to recommend a first macaw for someone, hands down, it would be a B&G, and I prefer hens, but that is my personal preference... I have never personally dealt with a Military so I am not the one to say anything about them, sorry. I also would recommend you look at some rescues and if a bird that you like and they like you, please consider giving it a home—there are so many great birds out there that need good homes and we owe it to them to open our hearts to them. You may be amazed to see how many feathered souls are out there in need of love and it really is heartbreaking to say the least... Okay... I will step off my soapbox now :).

Tails, as everyone has said so far—not an issue! Babies are awkward with 'em, but as they get older, they learn how to carry it around very, very well!

The biggest obstacle?! Hmmmmm...finding the time they need each and every day, there are days when I just wanna snuggle with them but I don't have the time so I will make "constructive time" when I am folding laundry and they can "help" me or if I am cleaning house and making beds—my Hy will jump down on the bed and roll over on her back so I will play with her feet and such... Yeah... I have real bad days of guilt because if it were up to me, I would spend the majority of the day with them but it simply isn't possible, although it is very tempting!

What drew me to macaws... Seeing them for the first time when I was a child, the B&G that sat on Rex Harrison's shoulder when he played Dr. Doolittle, that was it! I knew then I had to share my life with one... then when I saw my first Hy, the battle/resistance was over—my heart melted and I became obsessed with needing a smurf bird! :) I look back and I have no regrets, I may have a few less dollars in my pocket, but I have the best companion a man could ask for, I have a "big blue dog" that loves me and I love her, she is my buddy.

Everything about macaws is BIG!!! Their personalities, their love of their special person, their screams, their needs, etc., but the rewards are even BIGGER, if that is possible... Life with a macaw is what you make it to be—make it wonderful and you'll never look back and wonder why you waited so long...

Good luck and please keep us posted! :)

IMG_1995.jpg IMG_2005.jpg

Last edited:

NikkiCat

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
A macaw is my ultimate dream bird too. I just love them. The first time I held one I fell in love. :heart:
The only other bird I held and felt that way with was a Cape parrot.

Ziggymon

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I went to the store today and loved on the GW. He's such a doll. He saw me coming and puts his beak on the ledge and walks towards me until his head bumps my arm before I start rubbing on him. They had a pair of scarlet's but they were flying up on the hanging toys on the ceiling and avoiding people for the most part.

I'm definitely interested, though I don't think I'll ever be able to get one. I have no real intention of owning a home and there's no way I'd risk a bird in a situation where I'd be forced to give them up or end up struggling to find a new place/buy a house. I can dream though. :) And if I was after one I'd look at rehoming first. That's what I plan to do when I get a grey is to look at rehomes, rescues and the like to see if there's anyone I really click with. While I love babies, I'd honestly prefer to have a mature bird so I know what I'm getting into! :eek:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Some birds seem to have an innate knowledge of how to keep their tail nice. Then again, others do not. And some grow into it. I consider myself lucky in the fact that cosmo came to me being one of those that has never really had a messy baby tail. Quite a few large macaws go through a couple years as a duck butt.
I really was not interested in large macaws at all for the longest time. Couldn't get past the beak. In 2001 I went along for the ride on a school field trip to the Omaha zoo while I was student teaching a bunch of 10 grade bioloty students. They had a small flock of hyacinths. It was the first time I'd ever seen a really nice looking hy and I just was stunned. In 2002, I got my first large cockatoo and suddenly the beak size didn't seem like such an issue after handling her. So, it started me thinking. They hys we used to see back in the mid 80's just never looked good. At least not the ones we saw here in Omaha.
Biggest obstacle was money, but then I was shooting for a hyacinth on a teacher's salary. I had to save.
Melissa

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I watch threads like these with interest. Anyone in south TX looking for a young scarlet? There's one tormenting me on CL in Kingsville.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have found that there are many challenges with parronting a macaw(s) that include space, time, $, noise level, change of lifestyle and no fear of them but still have the desire to laugh, love, play and care for their needs with lot's of accommodation.:)

Last edited:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
Strangely it's a Petland. The only petland that's ever impressed me. They've got huge pieces of wood and ropes/nets strung over the ceiling for the birds, they're mostly cage free and I believe they work with Hartman's Aviary. The only ones that are sectioned off are still being I know the people there know what they're doing with the birds, that's for sure. The other petland in our city is pretty crappy. :( Thankfully they don't carry many animals.

Leza

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza

What was the biggest obstacle in getting into the larger macs? larger play gym, more space taken up. less room to add another smaller bird.

What made you first get interested in them? I saw some as a young kid, I was ten I think, It was our friends 2 greenwings, they were hilarious, fun and easy going. The one that plucked had more personality. ;)

How the heck do you guys keep those tails so pretty?!?! They're so long! No matter how big the cage or the like, I'd imagine they have to turn around and rub against the bars at some point when they're moving around!

The military tail is actually shorter than the rest. Like was stated, the younger ones are more clutsy so they are a little rattier, but if the cage is big enough and they get enough out of cage time, it is not some thing to worry about. give them enough baths( i think scooter gets a drenching shower twice a week) and they preen and fix it themselves. :)

A big factor in getting Scooter was knowing that he already liked me, he was slowly already becoming my bird when I first met him, I just didn't know it. He is so sassy, smart, funny, and inquisitive. I cannot believe some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth, full sentences, and a serious understanding of what he is saying. He is so fun, I don't know why I was dragging my feet in bringing him home... I was scared or something. It was such a silly reason can't even remember. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.