• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mabel and Jeff - Progress

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Pic #4, looks like Jeff is whispering in Mabels ear 'psst, save some for me'

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
Awe I love your Jeff and Mabel updates :heart:

They are so precious and of course BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks for all the great pics :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww I am so proud of Jeff! He came out and had a good old nibble, and just relaxed there for a while! He even tried to climb up the bars but Mabel was blocking the way... :lol:

At on point I could edge a bit closer and talk and whistle to him, and he just sat and watched curiously (only briefly did he scuttle away before coming back straight away) :heart: He was brave today!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just learnt the hard way about leaving out documents when birds are around...today Mabel decided to show me what a great flyer she is. She had a bit of a dodgy landing so accidentally ended up on the floor next to me...on my thank you card address labels of course. She pulls off a great flight back, but leaves poop right next to my mum's address :facepalm: Hmmm might need to reprint then :lol:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Worse possible timing Jeff! They both got out accidentally (kind of, Mabel flew out and Jeff kind of flew out) and decided to explore! Problem is they have about an hour before I have to leave for work which possibly means towelling them! I really really don't want to ruin this for Jeff :(

IMG_20190821_093614.jpg

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh thank god panic over! They both went back in (they hadn't been fed). Mabel did a LOT of flying (I'm 99% sure she was doing it to show off to Jeff) and Jeff had a really great time exploring the top of the cage without stress. No towelling involved :cool:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
LOVE the picture!!! Jeff is beautiful. Nice seeing him out!

It´s great that you managed to get them in without towelling. Remember, I have never towelled Aldora, and she is nowhere near ¨tame¨. Just gotta use the old coconut - sometimes fiddling with something in the cage will make them come back to check out what is going on :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Zara Yeah I also want to avoid having to towel them just to get them back in their cage. I never usually let them out if I know I have to leave the house. Usually just adding some millet is enough :D But this time Mabel did a hail mary pass and flew straight at me :hehe:

But Jeff had a great time! Went up top, walked around. He is a bit less skitterish out of the cage I think. He probably figures I'm not invading his safe space.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m so glad you didn’t have to towel them. It’s great they had a fun time, and I still can’t get over that crest!:xflove:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so happy too! It means that when I came home he was more daring with standing in front of the door/on the door perch. I really feel like there has been a breakthrough. He seems nosier and even more playful than before?

I always tell him what a big lovely crest he has :heart: Although I saw a tiel on Instagram with an even bigger crest and I was jealous on Jeff's behalf! :lol:

Conure101

Good to hear your Cockatiels are doing good! Hope you make progress with them!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jeff is slowly becoming the first bird out! He isn't 100% about going much further, but he sure does like to stand there and sing to me!

Although a contributory factor to them coming out is this branch! They are frankly OBSESSED with it! They are so focused on somehow bringing this branch down! Weird lil tiels!

IMG_20190829_184715.jpg

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
LOVE the branches you have for them!!! He'll come out when he's ready!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a happy boy he is, look at that face!:heart:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks! A pet shop near me were just selling some of the extras that their staff had collected for their birds. Every now and then I go with my handy swiss army knife and grab a fir tree branch for them to shred as well :)

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a cute little update for you guys. Today they came close enough to touch their chests and necks! I held the millet in the crook of my hand, and both came over for a nibble. As it was too far to reach by just stretching they each placed a toe on my finger, leaned over so their necks and chests were against my finger and chomped away! So exciting!

Edit to add: this was also on their door perch, I didn't have to lean into the cage for a change!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Great update! :starshower1:

Hjarta5

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jennifer
:xflove: Sounds like they are feeling less scared and more trusting :heart: So happy to hear this update!