• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Timneh - Desperate!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is worth you joining FB if you are not a member just to join the group Parrot Beak and Feather support. You can then post your experience and the man you bought the bird from. This will activate a chain of members there and get the word out and possibly put him out of business. There is no liability in posting what happened to you.

Another issue: I think you should be truthful with your child about this situation. It may bring some tears but ultimately understanding about life cycles and respect for a healthy bird and foster taking good care of another bird in your future.

African Queen Aviaries

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A word of caution: Please be very careful in your search for another grey. This species is among the higher priced parrots which draws in scammers and unscrupulous people like the one that sold you this bird. I would contact bird rescues in your area and even breeders so you will find a bird from a reliable source. I can give you the name and web page of a breeder in Florida who ships out perfect little grey babies. I got a TAG from her years ago. That is if the hurricane did not destroy her aviary.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im so sorry to hear this and so sorry for your family ...I really dont have much to add except clean ..clean ..clean before another bird comes your way ...this is such a scary disease/virus ... a support group may help you understand better and it may help you explain it better to your son ..I know its going to be a hard talk ... we are always here to help you through it if need be... Im so sorry :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So very sorry about Timmy's diagnosis. Hope that you can reach to those who have experienced this and have birds that have survived for a few or even several years after the initial diagnosis.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I wish I'd known you were considering a bird from him. I'd have warned you away. Doesn't have a good reputation, which this verifies. Unfortunately, you and your family have to deal with this.

Plus, he has lots of birds. What a potential catastrophe. I'm sorry you're going through this.

If you decide to euthanize, and only you can decide that, clean the heck out of your house with F10 several times and settle in to wait months before you seek out a new bird, please. This will help you make sure your home is safe and give you time to deal with the grief and educate and comfort your son? He's in for a a painful life lesson. :(

I can help you find a timneh...when the time is right.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Wasn't there an AA member looking for a bird to adopt with this condition because it is so hard to not have the next bird be infected? It is a hard decision that only an owner can make, I just hate to see a bird be put down.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah