• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for Timneh - Desperate!

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
I'm brand new here but hoping someone can help. I'm desperately looking for a young male Timneh. My 7 yr old son has one that he absolutely loves. He wanted one for a year, learned everything he could about them and we finally got him "Timmy" as a birthday present. He absolutely loves this bird, his entire world revolves around it. We just found out it has PBFD which we're told is invariably fatal.

I'm such a coward that I can't imagine telling him we have to euthanize his buddy. So I'm desperately trying to find another one. His was hatched in January. We live in Wisconsin but I'm willing to ship. Any leads? I'm absolutely heartbroken and desperate.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry to hear about PBFD. I would caution you to be very careful before bringing a new bird in thou. You'll need to disinfect everything your bird was in contact with. It's better to go overboard than to under do it. Lots of people here really like a product called F10 that disinfects

Plus before you jump to euthanize him, talk over your options with your vet. I don't know much but I've hear of cases of birds living with PBFD. So you might be able to prolong his life somewhat with the right treatment. I don't know how likely you'll be able to do this, and I hate to give you false hope but I think it's worth having a conversation about.

Another important thing is do you have any other birds in the house? I'd also urge to let your son know what's going on, as hard as that is to do. But that's your choice

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
Thanks. Unfortunately our vet is recommending euthanizing. I'm concurrently scouring the internet trying to find any unknown treatment, and just ordered some expensive mushroom supplement because I found one paper that said it helped. But not optimistic right now. I know it's hard to get rid of. We'd get a completely new cage, and he's in our living room with carpet so we'll rip out the carpet and put down hardwood floors (we wanted to do that eventually anyway).

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thanks. Unfortunately our vet is recommending euthanizing. I'm concurrently scouring the internet trying to find any unknown treatment, and just ordered some expensive mushroom supplement because I found one paper that said it helped. But not optimistic right now. I know it's hard to get rid of. We'd get a completely new cage, and he's in our living room with carpet so we'll rip out the carpet and put down hardwood floors (we wanted to do that eventually anyway).
Who is your vet? There are lots of birds who live long term with PBFD. I suggest you find a different vet and quick! Another thing to consider is that the tests for PBFD can throw false positives. Is your bird showing any symptoms at all? I'm in Madison, WI and I go to the UW Vet School for all my bird needs and have for the last 15 years. They are very good at what they do and my suggestion to you, if you aren't far from them is set up an appointment with one of the Special Species vets there. Their phone number is 608-263-7600. I'd call right away. I don't trust any vet who just throws out euthanasia as an option.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Even if Timmy does have PBFD, and even if the best course of action is euthanasia (which isn't necessarily the case), trying to replace a beloved Timneh with another, hoping your son won't notice is a terrible idea! And cannot be done safely for the new bird overnight, with PBFD in the environment. And is not safe for your son, assuming he can handle the bird you have. He will expect to treat the new bird the same way but that bird will see him as a stranger and will not want to be handled familiarly. The bird may bite in fear. And give your son some credit. These are intelligent birds with personalities and they don't all look identical. He will notice a difference. Better to tell him what's going on. This is a part of life and he can't be sheltered from anything that may hurt.

And yes, there are birds out there living with PBFD. The little naked lovebird, Rhea (I think is the name), running around, looks like quite a happy bird. It may be manageable.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Another thing to think about is where this bird came from. If he wasn't an only bird and came out of a home that had other birds or a rescue, you need to let those people know that he has been diagnosed with PBFD. My heart aches for you.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The PBFD (circovirus) virus is extremely hard to get rid of. It is hardy and lives for quite some time without a living host.

F-10SC is by far the best disinfectant for PBFD and one of the very few that kills circovirus. I have found the best price and quickest shipping here; F10 Bird & Reptile Cleaning Disinfectant - 200 ml

You have been given all of the information about PBFD that I know by others and I can only reinforce their advice.

DO NOT BRING ANOTHER BIRD INTO YOUR HOME UNTIL YOU HAVE THOROUGHLY DISINFECTED, THROWN THINGS AWAY AND GIVEN IT SOME TIME. I emphasize this because PBFD is so very contagious and 100% fatal.

As @jmfleisch says, let whomever you got this bird from that it has PBFD immediately. We as responsible parrot owners need to do all we can to stop this horrible disease in it's tracks.

Me complete sympathy goes out to your son, but with your support he will come through this experience and be wiser for it.

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
Who is your vet? There are lots of birds who live long term with PBFD. I suggest you find a different vet and quick! Another thing to consider is that the tests for PBFD can throw false positives. Is your bird showing any symptoms at all? I'm in Madison, WI and I go to the UW Vet School for all my bird needs and have for the last 15 years. They are very good at what they do and my suggestion to you, if you aren't far from them is set up an appointment with one of the Special Species vets there. Their phone number is 608-263-7600. I'd call right away. I don't trust any vet who just throws out euthanasia as an option.
Unfortunately he is showing symptoms (quiet chirping, missing a few head feathers), and we did take him to special species at the UW vet school. They're the ones recommending euthanasia. They said we can "try antibiotics and pain meds to buy time to say goodbye". I wanted to talk to Sladke because I really liked him but he's out this week. Talked to two others instead (don't remember their names).

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
And for those concerned, we did notify the breeder (Birdman Parrots in Chicago), and he of course swears it didn't come from him. If we get another, I'm aware we have to disinfect and we'll actually be removing the carpeting in the living room first, replace with hardwood floors, will have ductwork cleaned, buy a completely new cage and then go through everything with F10.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm so, so sorry for this! Did you get him checked right away because I would hold Birdman Parrots accountable. They've been doing this crap for a few years now. My heart absolutely aches for you. Talk to the UW and find out what they suggest for trying to get rid of it in your environment. Do you remember the name of the vet you spoke with? I would keep the bird as happy and comfortable as you can.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Wow, I can't believe this guy is still in business. Does he give any kind of guarantees on his birds. It's not just the money though, it's all the emotion involved too!:( Let me see if I can find some PBFD groups for you of people who know more about it. I know we have a member who recently lost her bird to PBFD.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Michelle Yoo - It looks like you have the necessities under control - we never know just how much an individual knows, so sometimes we may seem to be talking down to a new member.

@jmfleish - yes he does give a guarantee, if you take a newly purchased bird to a vet within 48 hours of purchase. He also says that every buyer gets a certificate of good health - this seems like the best route. This is their guurantee;

"Our babies are all hand-fed and raised at home in a clean happy environment, with children and different faces. All of our babies are weaned off on to a great healthy diet of mixed vegetables, pellets and fruits.
***ALL BABIES ARE DISEASED TESTED AND 100% DISEASE FREE*** PAPER WORK UPON PURCHASE!!!
To leave a deposit please call 773-317-3785 and you can leave a deposit for the bird you want over the phone to guarantee it reserved. All deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE, 50% of the cost of the bird is required for a deposit.
GUARANTEE ON LIVE BIRD(S) IS CUSTOMER HAS 48 HOURS UPON PICKUP/DELIVERY TO HAVE BIRD(S) EXAMINED BY A CERTIFIED AVIAN VET. IF AN AVIAN VET SAYS THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BIRD(S) THAT CANNOT BE TREATED BY MEDICINE A CERTIFICATE BY A CERTIFIED AVIAN VET MUST BE GIVEN TO THE CUSTOMER AND BROUGHT TO BIRDMAN'S PARROTS WITHIN 24 HOURS. IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BIRD(S) THAT CANNOT BE TREATED BY MEDICINE IT WILL BE UP TO THE STORE BIRDMAN'S PARROTS FOR A REFUND OR REPLACEMENT BIRD(S) WILL BE GIVEN. IF CUSTOMER FAILS TO HAVE BIRD(S) EXAMINED WITHIN THE 48 HOURS UPON PICKUP/DELIVERY CUSTOMER UNDERTSANDS AND AGREES THAT THE SALE IS FINAL AND THERE IS NO GUARANTEE ON THE
BIRD(S) ANYMORE."
About-Us/Financing

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I found a Facebook group called Pet Birds With Beak and Feather Disease you might want to try out. It looks like it's public. At the very least, I would think that the people there would have ideas on how to clean your house.

Pet Birds with Beak and Feather Disease - Home | Facebook

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
@Michelle Yoo - It looks like you have the necessities under control - we never know just how much an individual knows, so sometimes we may seem to be talking down to a new member.

@jmfleish - yes he does give a guarantee, if you take a newly purchased bird to a vet within 48 hours of purchase. He also says that every buyer gets a certificate of good health - this seems like the best route. This is their guurantee;

"Our babies are all hand-fed and raised at home in a clean happy environment, with children and different faces. All of our babies are weaned off on to a great healthy diet of mixed vegetables, pellets and fruits.
***ALL BABIES ARE DISEASED TESTED AND 100% DISEASE FREE*** PAPER WORK UPON PURCHASE!!!
To leave a deposit please call 773-317-3785 and you can leave a deposit for the bird you want over the phone to guarantee it reserved. All deposits are NON-REFUNDABLE, 50% of the cost of the bird is required for a deposit.
GUARANTEE ON LIVE BIRD(S) IS CUSTOMER HAS 48 HOURS UPON PICKUP/DELIVERY TO HAVE BIRD(S) EXAMINED BY A CERTIFIED AVIAN VET. IF AN AVIAN VET SAYS THAT THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BIRD(S) THAT CANNOT BE TREATED BY MEDICINE A CERTIFICATE BY A CERTIFIED AVIAN VET MUST BE GIVEN TO THE CUSTOMER AND BROUGHT TO BIRDMAN'S PARROTS WITHIN 24 HOURS. IF THERE IS SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE BIRD(S) THAT CANNOT BE TREATED BY MEDICINE IT WILL BE UP TO THE STORE BIRDMAN'S PARROTS FOR A REFUND OR REPLACEMENT BIRD(S) WILL BE GIVEN. IF CUSTOMER FAILS TO HAVE BIRD(S) EXAMINED WITHIN THE 48 HOURS UPON PICKUP/DELIVERY CUSTOMER UNDERTSANDS AND AGREES THAT THE SALE IS FINAL AND THERE IS NO GUARANTEE ON THE
BIRD(S) ANYMORE."
About-Us/Financing
This just kills me because I know he's had problems with this in the past! I wish there was a way to put this idiot out of business!:(

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yeah, the shop sounds like the one I got Hank from 21 years ago. Hank had chronic Asper when I got him and the store was terrible, dirty, cramped quarters for birds, abusive treatment of birds. I bought him at a bird fair (second stupidity), so wasn't aware of the store. I was just ignorant. They finally were driven out of business a few years ago - people got smarter. Like I did.

Michelle Yoo

Moving in
Real Name
Michelle Yoo
I'm so, so sorry for this! Did you get him checked right away because I would hold Birdman Parrots accountable. They've been doing this crap for a few years now. My heart absolutely aches for you. Talk to the UW and find out what they suggest for trying to get rid of it in your environment. Do you remember the name of the vet you spoke with? I would keep the bird as happy and comfortable as you can.
We took him to the vet right away for an exam when we bought him but they never suggested we test for this. However I called the owner and he told me he'd never had any cases of this. If that's not true then I'd love to connect with other people with this and do something to stop this guy.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
We took him to the vet right away for an exam when we bought him but they never suggested we test for this. However I called the owner and he told me he'd never had any cases of this. If that's not true then I'd love to connect with other people with this and do something to stop this guy.
I know there have been problems in the past but have never known anyone personally. The disease came from somewhere and if he was at that pet shop, you can bet they have problems with it too. I'm so very sorry you and your family are going through this!:( I wonder if there are complaints with the Better Business Bureau. Did the vets at the UW make any suggestions to you on what you might be able to do?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm surprised the UW didn't suggest to test for PBFD. That's normally something they would suggest a new owner do.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, I'm thinking about this more and more. How long have you had Timmy and where have you bought his toys and cage over the course of time that you've had him? I just ask because we do have a monthly bird fair in Madison and I know the woman who puts that together had problems with Polyoma in the past, so there's a chance, if you shopped for anything there, that the PBFD might have come from there. I'd still say the shop was most likely the place it came from though and since they openly state they do disease testing on ALL their birds, I would be asking to see what tests were done on your bird and who performed them. I would guess they can't provide that...just a guess though.