• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for SS cage...need asap. St Paul

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
My hesitation...used/ .... Is there a disinfectant I can use to be absolutely certain my bird will be safe???
He is way too important to me.... :sneaky:

I am totally paranoid, but my protocol would be to keep it outside or in a garage or something, hose it down if you can. I like to take my steam cleaner to it to blast out any nasties. Some steam cleaners claim to disinfect too, but not sure if mine really gets hot enough for that. Then I'd do a full intensive scrub, spray it down with disinfectant, rinse and scrub again. Dry it off and "quarantine" it for a good week at least.

ArtBird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
A 48" SS cage will be $2500+ and would have to be custom made with appropriate BS for a Senegal. If you really need a temporary cage because of chipped paint, 28x22 is not that much smaller than 32x22 for short term use, and at $500 you could resell it later to get your money back.
Also...thank you....

I did find a slightly scratched one that was $695? On Featherland site, but when I add to cart....out of stock!
They do have one I like that's 48/24 but it's 1". The smaller bs is ....omg, I just found this one
Caitec Featherland Abbey Bird Cage at PETCO

Like it!!

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia

I am totally paranoid, but my protocol would be to keep it outside or in a garage or something, hose it down if you can. I like to take my steam cleaner to it to blast out any nasties. Some steam cleaners claim to disinfect too, but not sure if mine really gets hot enough for that. Then I'd do a full intensive scrub, spray it down with disinfectant, rinse and scrub again. Dry it off and "quarantine" it for a good week at least.
I don't like to support PetCo but just saw this....
Caitec Featherland Abbey Bird Cage at PETCO

Macaw Lover

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
You want to disinfect it before you walk into the house with it. FS-10, which you can get at MSBS which will kill off (just about) everything.

One thing you need to remember, there are also different grades of SS and the cheaper stuff will rust. Grade 304 (which EH cages uses) will not rust. I think 304 is what the original owners of Avian Adventures used for their cages but I can't guarantee that. Maybe someone else remembers. In late 2006 I was able to go to a trade show and it was at that time the company was transitioning over to the new owners, Midwest, and it seems the quality went down after that.

As Ellen said, it might be a temporary cage until you can swing/pull together the $$$$ for what you really want and maybe they might come down a little more but then I looked to see when the ad was posted, yikes, 10 months ago. Doubt the cage is still available. Sorry. I would still shoot an email and see if they might still have it.

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
really? Did you like it?

I got it on some crazy deal because they were discontinuing the powder coated cages and mine had some damage to boot (was missing a bar... tied lots of string between the other bars to block it). It was a little hard to put together as certain parts rubbed really hard against each other and it didn't "fit" quite right everywhere. The door also didn't close shut but that was fine because it was very hard to open anyway so the budgies couldn't push it open themselves. Once I got it together though, it was a great cage for budgies. I wish the bars on the dome top were horizontal so that toys would stay in place, but other than that, for budgies, it was very nice. Kept them safe, was a good amount of space, and the powder coating was strong enough to thwart all of Sabrina (my little chewer's) attempts. Lola (Cape), however, could chew and strip the powder coating, but I don't think there's anything she can't chew through. Except for stainless steel :)

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
That Caltec has 5/8 spacing. Perfectly safe :)

I did buy one used cage. I first took it through a do it yourself car wash right after picking it up and hosed the heck out of it even though it appeared spotless. Then I took it straight to my neighbor's garage. The next day I disenfected it with F10. And left it over there for a week, lol!

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I like 40x32 better! A&E? In stainless?

Mine is pc, not stainless. But, that cage you linked to, RBC, that's definitely the A&E. That little design on the legs and the wheels are the same as my cage. And the whole styling on the top is the same, including the little tabs that hold the porch door shut.

cages and bird trees 006.JPG

I'm not sure what Pete was doing at the bottom looking goofy, lol! Undoubtedly some hormonal pose for Rowdy.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Very nice, but the bars look too big, plus the cage is in FL. Shipping would probably be out of this world.
If you get it shipped freight it will probably be less expensive than UPS. Might be worth checking.

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Well, I dunno. I'm looking now at the link you posted for RBC and they are saying RBC as if that is the company. I've never heard of RBC and style wise it's exactly like my A&E. hmm.

ETA: Looked at all the RBC cages on that website. They are all A&E cages. I even recognize some of the photos from the A&E sites. Also if you do a search for RBC cages, this is the only website selling them. Very strange as I'm positive those are all A&E cages.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
RBC is a distributor. That is an A&E cage right below it says see more cages from A&E. It's not a bad price though.

tattoosiva

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Amazon has a few of the caitec SS cages with free shipping from pet solutions.

I may get the smaller one for BH as a sleep cage.

Update: just orderd, if shipping to Hawaii is free, there is no doubt St Paul would be too.

Last edited:

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
Mine is pc, not stainless. But, that cage you linked to, RBC, that's definitely the A&E. That little design on the legs and the wheels are the same as my cage. And the whole styling on the top is the same, including the little tabs that hold the porch door shut.

View attachment 162353

I'm not sure what Pete was doing at the bottom looking goofy, lol! Undoubtedly some hormonal pose for Rowdy.
lol cute! YES! same one..."pc" d'uh! powdercoat. Ok...
Looks similar to the King's Cage one: King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More I guess the King's one has a full shelf on the bottom though?
Yes...The kings one has a shelf, AND is $400 more.
Otherwise, exact same/ However, the A&E one does have bars that can hold a tray....down below. Roxynoodle, I think the only difference is that yours goes all the way down, where this one has legs, with bars that can hold a tray.
Screen Shot 2013-12-03 at 2.38.11 AM.png

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
There is a stainless steel cage on Craigslist in Algonquin, Illinois for $600. Doesn't list bar spacing but it is a custom cage 40 x 29.