• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Looking for a temporary home

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I'm being evicted for being gay (legal where I live) and I really need a place for my birds until I have somewhere to live. I want it to be temporary, like a foster, but I know it's not fair to ask since I have no idea how long it will be for. It could be a few weeks or it could be a year. I live in Tennessee, near Nashville. I'll drive anywhere within a few hours, but my truck can only carry 2 cages in the back & 2 travel cages in the front. My birds eat harrisons pellets with a homemade seed/nut mix and chop with herbs/spices/etc. None of them are on any medications or are sick. Now onto the individual birds:

I don't have pictures right now but I can provide some later.

Galeo, green cheek conure: he is the only one who is bonded to me so his home must be temporary, he has to come back to me. I know it's a lot to ask but I can't rehome him. He is in a large flight cage, it's pretty old and needs replacing, some of the bars are bent but it works. I'll send money for a new cage when I can. All the other cages are good, his is 7 or 8 years old now and I got it already used. He is wary of new people and usually tries to bite but it doesn't last. If you ignore him and just go straight to cuddling he gets over the anger pretty quickly. He loves sitting on shoulders. He likes bells and things that make noise. He has a macaw sized toy that I ordered online, thought it was gonna be a lot smaller and I was going to return it but it's his favorite thing in the world now. He doesn't actually play with it, he sits on it with one foot on a wood block and one foot on a piece of rope, and then he give himself head scratches on another wood block. It's his designated napping area. He is somewhat "potty trained" I don't train my birds to go to the bathroom in certain places but he came to me like this. He avoids pooping on me or on the floor, he will if I have him for a while and he can't hold it, but he usually goes in his cage. He is a very picky eater, and won't eat most things outside pellets and some seeds. He is 7 or 8, I got him from a breeder. He plucks sometimes when he's molting but he's molting now and so far no plucking. Galeo LOVES the octonauts cartoons.

Wobie, green cheek conure: he has a broken beak and a missing nail. He is in a smaller cage, not too small but definitely the minimum, 30x18x18. He spends most of his day out of the cage, and doesn't do well in cages so whoever ends up with him needs to be home a lot for him. Not necessarily working from home or retired, I have a full time job but I don't leave until 2 or 3pm and he's fine with that. He doesn't really play with toys, he likes undoing links so I have a couple hanging around his cage to entertain him. He doesn't step up or interact with humans. He had to go to a lot of vet appointments & had a stressful upbringing so he just isn't interested in people, he isn't "wild" though, just uninterested in humans. He eats the same diet as my other birds, just misted with a little water. Sometimes I have to help him preen his tail, which is stressful for him but because of his beak he struggles with it. He's getting better and I haven't had to help lately so you probably won't need to but just keep an eye on it. Wobie is around a year old, from a breeder. Not dna tested, honestly I call him a male because I only had a male name picked, I have no idea what his sex is

Dexter and Daniel, society finches: they are in a 30x18x18 cage, I let them free fly every other day. Daniel is new and hasn't come out of the cage yet but dexter enjoys it. They eat harrisons pellets with dr harveys finch mix. Dexter is a rescue so I don't know his history but Daniel hatched march 2018.

Maxwell and Lucy, peach faced lovebirds: maxwell isn't very interested in people but he does interact with me. Lucy likes flying on my bed and playing with my hair. Maxwell is territorial so he will usually try to bite if you're doing something with the cage, but he steps up with a perch. They mate a lot, they have slowed down a lot lately so I'm hoping they'll stop. They are both underweight, they were 25-30grams when I got them and now they're 42 & 48 grams. The vet still wants them to gain a little more. They tend to argue over food bowls so they have multiple, they had 1 when I got them and they argued so much neither of them ate, hence their weight. They are rescues, they were almost never handled for the first year or 2 of their life so they aren't super friendly but they are far from wild. They love those little shoe toys. Maxwell loves swings. They aren't dna tested and lucy has never laid an egg so their sexes are just guesses based off of seeing them mate. They're in a flight cage.

Evey and Padme, cockatiels. They are both female, both rescues. I had them living together in a flight cage but padme got sick so they're separated for now. Padme is in a 30x18x18 cage that's sitting on top of eveys cage. She had an infection and is better now but she is still transitioning from a seed diet, evey finished transitioning while padme was sick. If they're out together evey will steal padme's seeds. Padme is eating some pellets, but only about 10% of her diet is pellets right now. Padme is a little nervous but very sweet, and well, evey is just....very rude. Not gonna lie, she hates me. I can't put her water/food dish in her cage without being attacked and screamed at. She loves my girlfriend though so I know she isn't like this with everyone. I can't really speak on her personality or likes/dislikes though, I let her out of the cage and she does her own thing.

Not all of them step up but the ones who don't, except wobie, will step up on a perch. Wobie is good about going back in his cage though, I put everyone up then usually by the time I get to him he is already climbing in the cage. None of them have any dowels, it's mostly natural wood perches with some rope perches. I have some extra toys and perches you can have too. They are all okay with dogs, except wobie. Wobie hates dogs but the others don't care. I don't support dogs running around with the birds out and interacting with each other but my dog is special needs so he spends most of the day with me. He is trained to sit in the corner and not move while the birds are out, but he can walk around freely when they're up, so a home with dogs is okay for everyone except wobie. I've noticed if wobie sees my dog during the day it gives him night frights, if he doesn't see him at all he has no night frights. He can still hear him walking around and barking sometimes and he's fine with that. If you have any questions let me know

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my. Are you sure it's legal where you are? Have you contacted anyone about it?

I hope you can find a foster home. Is there anyplace around you that boards birds?

@webchirp ?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I am so sorry that you're being put through this. That's just awful on so many levels!

I wish I could help out but I'm full up here and would risk eviction myself (for breaking the pet lease agreement)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Are you sure you are being evicted for being homosexual? It is illegal on a Federal level.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

kanth

Strolling the yard
Oh my. Are you sure it's legal where you are? Have you contacted anyone about it?

I hope you can find a foster home. Is there anyplace around you that boards birds?

@webchirp ?
Yes there are no discrimination laws and I have a 30 day notice so nothing I can do about it. There is someone who boards that I've used before but the birds would be caged 24/7, and has macaws that are always screaming and they freak my birds out.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Wish I could but I'm too far away to offer any help. You have my well wishes all the same. :sadhug2: Best of luck and here's a bump for your thread!

BeanieofJustice

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Wow... I'm sorry to hear what you're going through, I hope things work out for you and your fids.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Yes there are no discrimination laws and I have a 30 day notice so nothing I can do about it. There is someone who boards that I've used before but the birds would be caged 24/7, and has macaws that are always screaming and they freak my birds out.
That's terrible. I'm so sorry. And I feel terrible that I didn't realize that some states still didn't recognize discrimination based on sexual orientation. That's a tragedy. I help with a rescue here. If something closer to you doesn't work, please PM me.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I am avoiding taking them to a rescue because I want a chance at getting them back
Oh no sweetie, some rescues will foster for you. I know Feathered Friends did it for a few people and some of those were over a year. I believe Kim has also done this. The goal with a good rescue is to get them back to their owners.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Oh no sweetie, some rescues will foster for you. I know Feathered Friends did it for a few people and some of those were over a year. I believe Kim has also done this. The goal with a good rescue is to get them back to their owners.
that is very true. The Gabriel Foundation in Colorado has done it a number of times that I know about.
For Service Members on deployment, and also there was a woman that was homeless for quite awhile and would visit her bird at TGF and they are finally back together now.
They want the birds to have homes and what better home than someone who knows and loves them.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry :( This is terrible. I so wish I could help. You might try contacting your vet and see if they know any services you could have access to. I know of a program here that helps domestic abuse victims leaving their abusers with temporary housing for their pets if needed. I know your situation is different but perhaps you could find a similar service.

Also while it may be legal to evict you (which is absurd and infuriating) you may get in touch with a legal clinic to make sure you know your rights and that your landlord doesn't bully you into things. I wish you and your pets well I hope you can find temporary housing for them. And I hope you find a suitable nice apartment soon.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I'm so sorry :( This is terrible. I so wish I could help. You might try contacting your vet and see if they know any services you could have access to. I know of a program here that helps domestic abuse victims leaving their abusers with temporary housing for their pets if needed. I know your situation is different but perhaps you could find a similar service.

Also while it may be legal to evict you (which is absurd and infuriating) you may get in touch with a legal clinic to make sure you know your rights and that your landlord doesn't bully you into things. I wish you and your pets well I hope you can find temporary housing for them. And I hope you find a suitable nice apartment soon.
My vet does boarding but it’s very expensive and I couldn’t afford it for all my birds (& other pets I’m trying to find homes for). My landlord isn’t bullying me into anything, even if it was illegal I would probably leave anyways. I would wait until I had somewhere to live (obviously) but I don’t want to support someone who hates me...didn’t know that was the case when I moved in.

kanth

Strolling the yard
I forgot to mention Galeo does not like loud birds. Wobie loves screaming and Galeo doesn’t seem to care but I think that’s just because they’re buddies, every other loud bird makes Galeo throw a tantrum. He barely tolerates the lovebirds.

Status
Not open for further replies.