• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long Time Lurker First Time Posting

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
Thanks for all the replies.
I believe I saw in your other post that you live in an apartment. Conures can be VERY loud!
Patagonians are so unique. The Gabriel Foundation rescue has a room full of them. (FYI they adopt out of state) They can be LOUD.
I decided to stear clear of a patagonian for now since I had heard they were louder and they are harder to find but overall despite being in an apartment noise is not my primary concern. My building is old and the walls are plaster you can't hear much. Keep in mind also that my conception of a loud bird is Cura. A macaw makes everyone seem quiet by comparison (she is quite the squawker). I never got the impression that conures were louder than other birds of that size but please let me know if thats not the case.

My vote is for an African Grey.
The one problem with them is that they are a very dusty bird and owning one would restrict any future birds to Old World birds, as the New World birds can be sensitive to their dust and contract Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome which is 100% deadly.
Thanks for the info on the dust I do have some allergies (not to birds specifically but pollen and dust mites etc) so a dusty bird doesn't seem like a great idea. I probably won't take over care of Cura for another 10 years but that is well within the range of new bird overlapping so I will stick with New World. That being said, I love the idea of owning a Grey. I LOVE smart birds and would love to have a conversational spitfire like a grey. Maybe someday though.

Another thing to add to the mix since you all are giving such great recommendations is that in the next 5ish years my husband and I will probably start having kids. My parents had a conure when we were young so I would feel comfortable having one in the house with kids but if there is another species I should check out in the goes well with kids realm, my ears are open.
On this topic please keep in mind that I am not concerned with noise (babies sleep through what they are conditioned to sleep through), I am aware of the precautions in terms of disease (travelling either way), and I would never put the bird or the baby in a position to do harm to the other.
I plan to research and be cautious about this when the time comes but for now wanted to hear some recommendations based on that eventuality.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. How about one of the Poicephalus species: Senegal, Meyers, red-bellied parrot, brown head, etc?

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
On the noise issue, I remember reading that the different genus of conure had different noise levels. Green-Cheeked were quieter wheras sun and jenday were louder. Anyone have any first hand experience?

I can also take this over to the conure forum.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know if Conures are louder decibel wise, but I do know that I can't tolerate the high pitch (I call it screechiness) of their voice. A macaw is probably louder in decibels, but much lower pitched. My Hank could rattle windows one half mile away, but his voice was not an irritating pitch and it only happened when he helped the sun come up and go down. Otherwise he was just mouthy - had something to say, in either English or macaw, about everything - just chatter. Not loud and not an irritating tone. Just Miss Chatty Cathy. My girl bird, Jasper, is very nearly silent and only squawks when she wants OUT and then not very loud, but persistant.

Like I said before, get the bird you really and truly want, because each and every one is an individual. Maybe you will meet the bird that clicks with you and one where you click with it - that is the ideal.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Welcome to the forum :)

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
Thought I'd update you all.
My husband wasn't quite ready to take on a "bigger" bird. He's never lived with birds. We decided to "babysit" my dad's two budgies for the summer. I'm going to post more about them in Budgie Blvd. I'm excited to have the chirping in the house. A budgie was my first bird and hope they will get my husband hooked.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
I have used AA as a resource for years and am just now making an account. I thought I'd say hi and share my avian history.
When I was little I wanted a parrotlet so badly and ended up with a budgie that I had for about 10 years. She was really well hand trained and a delight. After she died we got a pair of budgies that my parents still own. When I was in Highschool my dad rescued a 15 year old Blue and Gold Macaw. We named her Curacoa. She took one look at me and decided I was her person. My dad and I co-parented her until I left for college (boy was she confused/devastated). Cura has still not forgiven me. She doesn't like me nearly as much as she used to. She will definitely be my inheritance but in the meantime, I have grownup, gradutated, and gotten married and I'm starting to think about getting a bird to add to our little family. I miss the chattering of the budgies and the whistling of the parrot. I'm thinking of getting something in between.
Anyway, I'm excited to join and finally be a part of the flock instead of just using this for bird google.
Why not get that Parrotlet that you wanted so badly. Pacific Parrotlets are wonderful like balls of energy. Oh and Welcome!

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:welcomeavenue: Elizabeth!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome.

I vote Amazon!

I seriously adore Phoenix Landing. We drove there from Missouri for a wellness retreat that dealt with health issues about senior birds. Super nice people.

BirdMum

Strolling the yard
Welcome!!! I'm excited for your journey I can't wait to read the updates!

I think lovebirds are great starters too! They're beautiful and can be so charming, I think they'd help get your husband attached. My dad loves animals but it's still amusing to see such a grown large man look so fondly at our tiny Peach.

The only thing is they don't really tend to chirp or sing... More like screech. It can be a little much, especially when Frankie our Indian ringneck joins in. They're both....very loud. Sometimes I worry my eardrums will burst.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think lovebirds are great starters too!
There´s no such thing my friend.

I think they'd help get your husband attached
Yes, this is very true! They are such lovable birds, they will draw you in with their cuteness and have you hooked and smitten with their playful personality.

SusanS BSNCCRN

Moving in
Real Name
Susan C Steckov
Oh!!! I know the feeling when a devoted creature distances themselves after perceived "abandonment" - a feeling that tugs the heart strings!!
Welcome!!