• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Long Time Lurker First Time Posting

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
I have used AA as a resource for years and am just now making an account. I thought I'd say hi and share my avian history.
When I was little I wanted a parrotlet so badly and ended up with a budgie that I had for about 10 years. She was really well hand trained and a delight. After she died we got a pair of budgies that my parents still own. When I was in Highschool my dad rescued a 15 year old Blue and Gold Macaw. We named her Curacoa. She took one look at me and decided I was her person. My dad and I co-parented her until I left for college (boy was she confused/devastated). Cura has still not forgiven me. She doesn't like me nearly as much as she used to. She will definitely be my inheritance but in the meantime, I have grownup, gradutated, and gotten married and I'm starting to think about getting a bird to add to our little family. I miss the chattering of the budgies and the whistling of the parrot. I'm thinking of getting something in between.
Anyway, I'm excited to join and finally be a part of the flock instead of just using this for bird google.

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome Aboard! I'm so glad you're here!!! Loved your history story.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome!
What "in-between" birds are you considering?
Are there any parrot rescues near you to visit?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Welcome :)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Welcome to the forum Elizabeth :fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue...it's great to have you as part of the flock...:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome. You would seriously love a cockatiel my dear. They have a great personality and make wonderful little companions. Much more interactive than a budgie.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome. You would seriously love a cockatiel my dear. They have a great personality and make wonderful little companions. Much more interactive than a budgie.
I totally agree. Tiels adapt so very well to living with people...they're very forgiving of our peculiar ways...;)

Elizabeth0702

Moving in
Real Name
Elizabeth Tollis
What "in-between" birds are you considering?
Are there any parrot rescues near you to visit?
I'm considering a conure (posted it over on rehome highway). My dad owned conures (patagonian) before I was born and I love their playfulness. I'm in Virginia so I've been thinking about checking out Pheonix Landing.

You would seriously love a cockatiel my dear.
I've never been a huge fan of 'tiels I'm thinking just a step up. Conure is what I'm generally looking at though I did meet an adorable ringneck the other day.

Thanks for all the welcomes! :)

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vote is for an African Grey. They are what I really wanted when I got my GW macaws (that I love without borders), but their intelligence made me think that I wasn't the right owner. They can be a delight, just ask any of the Grey owners on this forum.

The one problem with them is that they are a very dusty bird and owning one would restrict any future birds to Old World birds, as the New World birds can be sensitive to their dust and contract Pulmonary Hypersensitive Syndrome which is 100% deadly.

Good luck on your search and my final advice is to get the bird that you really and truly want.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I'm considering a conure (posted it over on rehome highway). My dad owned conures (patagonian) before I was born and I love their playfulness. I'm in Virginia so I've been thinking about checking out Pheonix Landing.
Phoenix Landing is a wonderful group. I donate to them too.
Patagonians are so unique. The Gabriel Foundation rescue has a room full of them. (FYI they adopt out of state) They can be LOUD.
I adored my elderly Blue crowned conure - so smart, but not cuddly. I have adopted a Jenday now.
So, I like conures a lot. Will be interested to see who Phoenix Landing matches with you! Good luck!

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I believe I saw in your other post that you live in an apartment. Conures can be VERY loud!
My Mom's tiny GCC could be heard in my car with windows up, in the dead of winter with her windows closed when he did his alarm call :shocking:

Welcome to AA :hug8:

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I did meet an adorable ringneck the other day.
I'm a fan of the species for sure. Our Titan was a wonderful companion for 26 years. He was definitely representative of his species...intelligent and independent. He did enjoy interacting with his people...and also enjoyed meeting others. Definitely not a "hands-on" bird...he'd sit on your shoulder for a time that he decided...then go back to his area.
He was our first "birdie ambassador"...making countless trips to do pet therapy...and education...

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! I don't know when you anticipate Cura coming to live with you, but as she's a New World bird, I'd avoid getting a dusty bird. So no African Greys, cockatoos or (probably) cockatiels.

Conures are also New World so should be fine to have in the air space as a macaw. You must never have them out together because a macaw could easily hurt or even kill a smaller bird.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sending you my official welcome! Glad you decided to officially come on board! AA, hands down, is the best avian forum on our planet.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Welcome to AA! :) I love conures, and if you're going to end up with a macaw, I'd agree with the above posters in steering clear of Old World parrots. Good luck with Phoenix Landing! I've heard a lot of good things about them.