• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Liver Problems - URGENT

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Can't you get a COPY of the blood test results?

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bile acids and AST values are high on Secret. That issue popped up a few years ago. My vet (avian) put her on medication. Secret had an xray and I have a copy of that also.

GREAT reason for maintenance visits to a vet.

Secret and MC are both light weights. I've seen Secrets keel since that bird moved in years ago.

Get the copy of the values on the blood test and BREATHE. There are awesome folks here on the avenue that have dealt with medical issues with birds THEY dearly love.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So, I assume you are waiting for a ABV test result? PDD is not often accurately diagnosed until after death. The test I assume they are running is avian borna virus. Statistics are that 40% of all birds will test positive for borna virus, these birds never develop PDD. Not good enough odds for me to run that test wit out exhausting all other options.
^And just because he is positive for ABV and has possible symptoms, doesn't mean it's a death sentence. Some vets will say oh yes they have pdd just because they have abv. I really dislike that tactic. Dr. Orosz will do the test if someone is struggling so that she knows how to more effectively treat a bird. You can run the test but don't label the bird.

Ask you vet about celebrex. I'd really like to know what that antibiotic is for...and Dr. O would have given subq fluids if there were liver issues. Lots of fluids right now. Push them. And I had used lily of the valley in Hachi's water when she first came in as recommended by Marie from the rescue. That lady has saved some birds in her years. It was .03ml in her 8 oz bowl of water. Hachi was only 60 grams so you'd have to do some math.

Oh and glad you are trying pain meds. I asked to add them to Lola's meds because he looked so darn awful but he is diagnosed with extensive heart disease. I figured if we were end stage, we should at least try. He is a mean @ss bird now, yells at me and chases others. I think he's feeling much better.

Last edited:

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
FYI, I've met Dr. O at seminars. I was ready to take Secret to her for a second opinion but medication stated pulling values down.

I turned down one test because of the false positives that were out there. No need to freak myself out when the results aren't reliable.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I will say...Amada so far has been the only cheek in the Akron cheeks to test positive for abv. Initially we did a batch swab and it came back positive. Those that have been adopted out have tested negative. I believe Boober who is likely a sibling tested negative. Just kind of a head shake on who and why. I'd think her siblings out of all of them would all test positive.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was in such a bad way at the vets, I had a good friend who is also with a local parrot rescue be my go to person. So they have been my liaison through all this, because I was in hysterics when I heard he most likely he had the wasting away condition. So all I know based on his blood work, liver enzymes are really high, haven't heard about his xray. And I wont get the results until the end of this coming week for the rest...He was 425 grams...
Great to have friend with you (I have hubby). GET COPIES OF EVERYTHING. Simply because I think you may be like me, we freak out over our little feathered buddies and do better looking at the facts.

I even have a copy of xray.

Secret weighs 349. MC is smaller than that.

glxpassat

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Update: sadly my boy has all kinds if problems. He does sadly have atherosclerosis. He was a seed junkie when I got him at 15. Also, appears that he had some head trauma at some point before I got him. He has chronic sinusitis which has created some permanent problems. Makes me so angry, as I'd taken him to the vet on 3 different occasions for what I believed to be sinus problems, and they did nothing for him. Sydney has an enlarged heart, slightly enlarged Kidneys, as well as a few other things, but I'll get his test results, so you guys can view things. I was told he will have to be on pain meds for the rest of his life. Man I can hardly get his meds in him now. I cant imagine having to do this for the rest of his life.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
My Quaker loves Harrison’s I’m a syringe so I draw up the meds first then pull up the ground up watermixed Harrison’s and he doesn’t even register he just took metacam or milk thistle. My syringe doesn’t pull apart for cleaning so I just throw away two syringes at every meal.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I was told he will have to be on pain meds for the rest of his life. Man I can hardly get his meds in him now. I cant imagine having to do this for the rest of his life.
Secret gets medicine every day (hepato). I've been sprinkling hers on a tiny amount of chop or fresh bell peppers. I make it into an event, hold the cup for her, and it works. My daughter can give it when I'm away from home by putting the tiny cup in the food bowl in her cage.

I think someone put meds under a spread of some kind to hide it.

You're smart, you will handle this.

You also have people like @Hankmacaw and the rest of these talented folks to help you.

Did you see the xray?

@saroj12 how did you start to get them used to the syringe?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Gave them apple juice in it couple of times a day. Same trick will work. Load up the meds then pull up a little juice.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Gave them apple juice in it couple of times a day. Same trick will work. Load up the meds then pull up a little juice.
I need to try this with my guys.

Where and what type of syringe do I buy?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner