• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little stinker

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I bought a harness for Elvis but haven't tried it yet. I actually think it looks to small for his head........ We'll see. That might be my project this weekend.
Did you get the aviator harness? They say it's the best?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I bought a wire dog crate to take Freddy out in. I am just going to put a nice perch in it and small locks on the two doors. It has smart lock bowls that it came with too. My neighbor was getting rid of it because her dog wouldn't use it, it's brand new! So I don't think I am going to bother with a harness. Maybe later, who knows. The crate I have is plenty big enough for him to be outside in or to use as a carrier.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I am a proponent of free flight training with excellent recall and desensitization.

If you work on indoor flight training and your bird has good recall then outside freeflying should not be a problem. It's important to have good ascending flights and descending flights well established indoors before going outside as its more difficult than just flying from point A to point B on a level flight. Also when your bird screws up inside and crashes, apart from seeing that he/she is okay you do not want to go to your bird you want the bird to come to you. The reason being is if your bird gets somewhere you can't reach it you don't want them being accustomed to you rescuing them but rather them learning and used to coming back to you. Then a harness really isn't necessary. It's probably more of a mental state for you thinking it is safer. But training is the safest for your bird without any potential dangers of getting hung up by the leash if there is a problem. Better to have your bird microchipped for that what if situation.

I personally am not a big fan of flight harnesses/suits. But here are some links to check out if you decide to use a harness or suit. Hope it helps.

Pros & Cons of flight harness

Indoor flight training basics

The next 3 are from the parrotwizzard. He's not my first choice but to might help you out if you want to desensitize your bird to the flight suit.

Flight harness desensitization day 1
Parrot Wizard Youtube Video Browser

Flight harness desensitization day 2

Flight harness desensitization day 3

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I just noticed I was tagged in this. Sorry I didn’t see sooner:). I have aviator harnesses for all four of my girls and exactly 50% success rate with them. Lol. Jazzi my younger RB2 will not allow it to even be in her sight without panic. Same with my Meyers. Pyper (CAG) is doing excellent and is the best at wearing hers. Layla (older RB2) surprised me at how easy she is to get it on her from day one considering she hadnt seen a harness until she came here last year. She will reluctantly wear it but kind of pouts the whole time and gets super affectionate as if she’s begging me to take it off. Lol. She is also great at sneaking the elastic leash into her beak and chomping it in half in about 1 seconds time. She doesn’t chew on the harness, just the leash part that she knows can be rendered useless quickly. Lol.

So overall, I’ve been doing the outside time with my celltei bags except with Pyper but I do consider Layla an aviator success story since she will wear it if she must. 96112067-A07A-4AC1-A55E-9CE8E53249FD.jpeg