• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little stinker

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I think I am seeing cockatoo behavior in Freddy. He's a loving little soul but defiant lol and strong willed! Yesterday we spent lots of time with him in the living room and kitchen, he flew around me in the kitchen, landed on the floor and walked back to the living room, climbed up onto the foot stool in there, and chirped a victory chirp lol. Then he was getting edgy, and I noticed he looked like he wanted to fly in the direction of where his cage is so I took him back there. He was out a little over 3 hrs I offered him some healthy foods & water while with us. He couldn't wait to get back for his nap, I noticed lol. Later that day, he came out and was focused on chewing a chair. Not something he usually does, and was irritated when I told him no, and gave him things he could chew. When all efforts to redirect failed, I got him back to his cage. After his nap it was like he was a different bird. Headstrong. Joe said he noticed when he's focused on something he's very defiant but he just keeps redirecting and eventually he complies. Little stinker haha! :p

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
How long have you had him and is this your first cockatoo? Sounds to me like he is acting like a normal Cockatoo that does not like to be caged.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
When Elvis gets fixated on something, it can be pretty hard to divert him. LOL. They can be quite stubborn. :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Whaha you go Freddie!:p They can be veeerrryyy stubborn!:lol:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
A tree stand/perch will be a life saver. They are a bit pricey to buy but one can be built in an afternoon. It will save your entire house!

IMG_4542.JPG

For this one I bolted a bird-safe branch to a piece of plywood (with four furniture wheels screwed into the other side to make it easy to move) and tied on the other, smaller branches with jute.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Yep...they can be downright STUBBORN when they want to be! You're certainly on the right track with Freddy...positive redirection...again and again. I give Milton redirection three times...if he doesn't comply, then we go back to the top of his cage and redirect again. Usually Milty gets the message then.
Obviously if Milt is in a hazardous situation, we immediately remove him (or the hazard) from their proximity. The important thing here is not to make a big deal of it, because if Milt thinks that he can get extra attention by repeating the hazardous act, he will attempt to do it again. (naturally!)

You have to be at least three steps ahead of these guys at all times...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
A tree stand/perch will be a life saver. They are a bit pricey to buy but one can be built in an afternoon. It will save your entire house!

View attachment 271948

For this one I bolted a bird-safe branch to a piece of plywood (with four furniture wheels screwed into the other side to make it easy to move) and tied on the other, smaller branches with jute.
I like this idea! Joe is also making a stand for his boing. I got a large one having no idea how big it was and it's heavier than I expected but I think he'll love it when he gets going on it. I like this too though lol. He's already got a toy basket and a basketball set with little balls to play with. He checked out the toy basket but wasn't ready to play with what's there yet. He's afraid of new things so it takes a bit.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Yep...they can be downright STUBBORN when they want to be! You're certainly on the right track with Freddy...positive redirection...again and again. I give Milton redirection three times...if he doesn't comply, then we go back to the top of his cage and redirect again. Usually Milty gets the message then.
Obviously if Milt is in a hazardous situation, we immediately remove him (or the hazard) from their proximity. The important thing here is not to make a big deal of it, because if Milt thinks that he can get extra attention by repeating the hazardous act, he will attempt to do it again. (naturally!)

You have to be at least three steps ahead of these guys at all times...;)
I totally get this. He's usually good with redirection but not that time. I just thought it was funny he couldn't wait to get back to his cage that day and snuggled up to his blanket which is what he does when resting (I have a small fleece blanket hanging on the side inside the cage and he cuddles with it to sleep ). But ah he had a mind of his own when later after his nap. Unless he had just had enough of us. I read Galah are like that, they like to be with you but like their own time too. I have run into times where he won't come out of his cage after being out several hours earlier in the day. I have him out when Joe or I are at home. My son interacts with him when we are around, he would just walk all over Sam (my son) since he's a little uncomfortable by himself with Freddy. But I approach Freddy the same way I approached my son at 3 yrs old. He had a speech issue and yesterday Freddy reminded me so much of Sam. So time out it was lol. I just might ask Freddy if he needs time out lol, that's really what it is. But he seemed ok after that. And no, I don't make an issue of it. But on the up side I do give him treats to go back in his cage, most of the time he goes back himself, I never have to fight with him to go back there. I look at it like a bedroom that's where he rests, and when we can't be there, it keeps him safe. Eventually we're thinking about something bigger. Maybe a walk in.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Luv Bug is like Freddy. When she starts getting nippy and won't be redirected, I put her in her cage with a good-sized snack. I don't even close the door, she just eats her fill, then usually naps on one of us soon after she comes out.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
@Lady Jane we have had Freddy just over 3 months, and this is the first time he's really argued with me to the point where he was not going to be redirected. He was good after his little time out, he went back to his play top and I gave him the paper rings and wood he likes to chew on. Just some quiet time seemed to do the trick .

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Luv Bug is like Freddy. When she starts getting nippy and won't be redirected, I put her in her cage with a good-sized snack. I don't even close the door, she just eats her fill, then usually naps on one of us soon after she comes out.
The only time I close his cage door anymore is when we're not home. I want him to get used to not being in the cage all the time. He's been spending time in other parts of the house, but I showed him where his cage was in reference to where we are. My Rascal lovebird knew how to find his cage from anywhere in the house. I want Freddy to know so he can go there if he wants . I can't wait until Freddy naps on us. So cute.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I figured out something today! I brought Freddy upstairs for lunch and he sat on the living room armchair watching me in the kitchen and chirping away. I put on the TV and he started chewing the chair. I gave him a toy and he threw it on the floor. I turned off the TV and he stopped chewing on the chair. He wanted my undivided attention!

I also didn't touch him unless he approached me to be cuddled. He never got crabby. When he's sitting or playing he wants to be left alone. He will come to us for touches. He's much happier today! Maybe he feels crowded. We're so excited it's hard not to give him lots of attention, when he's playing it's just hands off attention. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
When he's sitting or playing he wants to be left alone. He will come to us for touches.
Sounds like Freddy is starting to train YOU...;)

He wanted my undivided attention!
Most 'toos will demand undivided attention from their human slaves...that's one of the unwritten rules that they have...;) :rofl:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Most 'toos will demand undivided attention from their human slaves...that's one of the unwritten rules that they have...;) :rofl:
That's only because they can't write! :p

If I have a tupperware of toy parts I can buy several minutes of leeway to do chores or tv/computer time (not to be confused with freedom) but once it's empty, it's back to crawling on the floor picking them up while trying to keep my toes from being bitten. :confused: I'm getting pretty fast!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
That's only because they can't write! :p

If I have a tupperware of toy parts I can buy several minutes of leeway to do chores or tv/computer time (not to be confused with freedom) but once it's empty, it's back to crawling on the floor picking them up while trying to keep my toes from being bitten. :confused: I'm getting pretty fast!
:rofl: I'd move fast too if one of those was nipping at my toes!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Sounds like Freddy is starting to train YOU...;)

I know right?! Bob, does Milty have a harness when you take him places, or does he stay in a carrier?

I have a beautiful steel black gazebo in my back yard that we spend a lot of time in the summer. I would love for Freddy to enjoy it when we go out and was thinking of making him a fence post perch to put right in the ground. The man I got Freddy from suggested and outdoor cage because he's not a fan of harnesses. If Milty uses one, does he mind it, did it take long for him to get use to it?

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I just love spending time with Freddy, he's such a delight. Not a fan of the outdoor cage idea. Would rather harness train so he can sit on one of the chairs, or interact with us. I'm not planning on leaving him outside without supervision. And I think he would enjoy that better.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Actually for now I could probably take Freddy out in an oversized dog crate. Or a carrier. Maybe I will try the harness. I think there's a Galah on you tube that loves her harness, her human takes her hiking!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I bought a harness for Elvis but haven't tried it yet. I actually think it looks to small for his head........ We'll see. That might be my project this weekend.