• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Baby Cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
When the babies are that little I mix the formula in a shot glass, and keep in warn by placing the glass in a bowl of warm water.

I just feed enough to round out the crop some (approx 10% body weight) and allow to totally empty between each feeding. If you have any papaya baby food, just add a little to it every other feeding. it helps with nutrient absorption.

And one thing I started a couple of years ago is a pinch of garlic powder added to every feeding. It had elimated crop and yeast problems from cropping up in the litter ones.

Attachments

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I use a little tiny expresso glass for mixing the formula, very similar to a shot glass but with a handle. I also let it sit in hot water, but I do believe the water gets a little too warm and makes the formula too hot; so I have to take it out and let it cool, I can't merely let it sit in there. I boil water before I use it, so it's a little difficult to do it any other way. However it seems to have worked for me in the past.

I have heard of people adding papaya, so I'm going to go see if I can find some papaya baby food to add. I have never had yeast problems with my little ones (knock on wood) unless they have been on antibiotics. The garlic powder sounds like a great preventative measure, however. Thank you very much for the tips.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If you have a thermometer have your pan of water at approx 104-105 degrees, that way it doesn't get too hot. I found that formula temp at 104 is ideal for the little ones.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
:omg: you're amazing, vancha!!

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Wow so tiny but growing so fast. You are just great doing this. What a cute fuzzy little baby. :hug8:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
awwwwwww, your doing great. What a cutie.

vancha

I just love little baby parrots, it never ceases to amaze me how people treat them at times and what trouble beginners run into. I have become acquainted with some very irresponsible people in the past, and those irresponsible people do not care for their breeding birds; hence the babies are in terrible condition. Reading from Susanne's website has helped me immensely to deal with some common in-nest problems. This little baby, happily, does not have it too badly off. Inexperienced parents and inexperienced breeders, that's all - it's a lot better than the ones injured by inexperienced hand-feeders.

The little guy was just fed and now is sleeping soundly. He sure loves to eat. If anyone is interested, I feed Roudybush formula 3. I have just had the best results with that formula and I highly recommend it. Some people say it looks or smells odd/different from other formulas, and it is different from other formulas. But it empties from the crop so well and babies are so well hydrated on it... So I hope this little guy makes up for his small hatch size and starts packing on the grams. :)

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Vancha you have received some great advice. I am not knowledgable on handfeeding but I just bought handfeeding formula for Tequila when he was sick. From the back of the package it looks like you start out with thin formula and gradually increase the texture as they get older. Susanne great tips. This is also some good information Vancha. Handfeeding Cockatiels, Hand Feeding Cockatiels, baby birds, chicks, Crop Burn, Punctured Esophagus, Slow Gut, Sour Crop, Aspiration, Pneumonia, Aspergilliosis, Candidiasis, Yeast Infections, Subcutaneous Emphysema, Unweaned Baby Birds, handfeeding b

Janie

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jane
Oh wow, I just don't know if I would have steady enough hands.

After the video I was doing something else looked back and saw the vid of baby Jade eating, thought it was so cute. First the baby birdie then the baby baby :) what a doll Jade is!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
The little ones sure grow fast. Once the pin feathers come in what you want to watch is the tail pin feathers. They should grow out with all the same lengthh. If you notice that they 'V' (meaning the 2 center ones are shorter forming a v'd look) then you have to adjust the handfeeding formula...such as too thin, thick, because the chick is not getting a good ratio. Many times this is seen if the formula is too thick and dehydration is going on. This can lead to stunting.

This is a link of 'Babies in Trouble, that gives a visual guide to potential problems. Babies in Trouble pictures by Mousebirds-and-more - Photobucket

vancha

Not much of an update... He's doing well and I just fed him with a bent spoon and he loved it. I personally find both methods suitable, oral syringe and spoon, but I may use the spoon because he just takes to it wonderfully. I like spoon feeding but in essence, it's not very different from syringe feeding if you syringe feed properly. I'll get some pictures later... He doesn't look too different, but is bigger. I have a weight chart for baby 'tiels and he is on the lower end of the normal spectrum, probably because he was a tiny baby in dire need of help. I hope he grows big and strong.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:omg: what a sweet little baby!!

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
. I personally find both methods suitable, oral syringe and spoon, but I may use the spoon because he just takes to it wonderfully.
------------------------------------------
Please...if you can get some good clear pix's of spoon feeding I would love them. I have never tried it, plus I ususally have no one to hold the camera as I feed. I have been saving pix's of syringes and various feeding utencils to do an article on handfeeding tools.

He'll catch up. The being trapped, and most likely dehydrated gave him a slow start. As long as the weight gain is gradually increasing each day you are heading in the right direction.

vancha

. I personally find both methods suitable, oral syringe and spoon, but I may use the spoon because he just takes to it wonderfully.
------------------------------------------
Please...if you can get some good clear pix's of spoon feeding I would love them. I have never tried it, plus I ususally have no one to hold the camera as I feed. I have been saving pix's of syringes and various feeding utencils to do an article on handfeeding tools.

He'll catch up. The being trapped, and most likely dehydrated gave him a slow start. As long as the weight gain is gradually increasing each day you are heading in the right direction.

I would be glad to. What sort of pictures do you want? I could even get a video of spoon feeding if you would like. The utensils I am using right now are just plastic spoons - I will most likely get a metal one at some point but the plastic is gentler on little beaks. The spoons are easily made by dipping them into boiling water and using plyers to bend the sides, so anyone could do it easily.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
A video would be great! And can I use or linkt o your video of syringe feeding the little tiel baby to include it on this page: Assist Feeding Chicks - Just Cockatiels!

Also, have you ever seen or tried the spoon attachment for a syringe (below)
wow i use spoons alot my hubby bent for me but never seen the one you can use a syringe with...when the macaws are larger i always use cups

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
wow i use spoons alot my hubby bent for me but never seen the one you can use a syringe with...when the macaws are larger i always use cups
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes...you can do an internet search for: EZY Feeder

Status
Not open for further replies.