• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Baby Cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
I often do work with little ones who face adversity in their short lives, and have very many contacts who approach me whenever an issue arises and a baby needs help. Well, I have been feeding this tiny little baby cockatiel and thought perhaps I could show everyone.

He just hatched yesterday; he came to me in a nearly-hatched egg but was slightly dehydrated, being that he was stuck to the side of his shell. He was also very cold. With some electrolytes and probiotics and a nice warm little nest, he quickly improved and started to "stand" up for food only hours later. He is now doing very well and is already gaining weight, so I am feeling very positive about this little one.

Here is a video of one of his first meals. It got a little messy. He is taking about 10% of his body weight in formula, still at a very thin consistency. I don't know how to post the video here precisely, so here is a link.

Baby Eating

And some pictures.

I think he looks a little like a fuzzy caterpillar. :p

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
He looks like he is doing great! I've book marked your video.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wow, what a cute little fuzzy thing. :swoon:

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
cheepcheepcheepcheepcheep! :heart:

Kathy

Wow!! so tiny! I can't wait to see photos of this baby growing.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
they are so cute when they are that young...i used to breed cockatiels and I miss it

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
oh wooooooooook awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I often do work with little ones who face adversity in their short lives, and have very many contacts who approach me whenever an issue arises and a baby needs help. Well, I have been feeding this tiny little baby cockatiel and thought perhaps I could show everyone.

He just hatched yesterday; he came to me in a nearly-hatched egg but was slightly dehydrated, being that he was stuck to the side of his shell. He was also very cold. With some electrolytes and probiotics and a nice warm little nest, he quickly improved and started to "stand" up for food only hours later. He is now doing very well and is already gaining weight, so I am feeling very positive about this little one.

Here is a video of one of his first meals. It got a little messy. He is taking about 10% of his body weight in formula, still at a very thin consistency. I don't know how to post the video here precisely, so here is a link.

Baby Eating

And some pictures.

I think he looks a little like a fuzzy caterpillar. :p
Oh, so unbelievably cute:o:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I remember those days. There were a few times we had to take out little ones like that and hand feed. They were always so cute!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
aww what a little sweety..I hope you continue to post about him so we can see him grow.

tlday13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Tracy
That video had me completely melting into a puddle of goo!

My hubby thought it looked like a little alien.. lol.. but I see the cute!

vancha

Thank you, everyone! I will keep you all updated with pictures and videos. :)

He was hatched at about 3 grams; after a little over 24 hours he is now 5 grams. He seems to be just getting more and more energetic and can take the food better each time. And it seems like he's just getting fluffier all the time. :D

vancha

Wow, that is a very big baby. :eek: Twice the size of this little one when he hatched. But he was a little dehydrated as well. What sort of consistency of formula were you feeding, and how much? I am worried about filling his crop too large, or feeding thicker formula, because people say a young baby's crop is supposed to empty every 2 hours; if I feed thicker formula in larger quantities, it does not. Should I start feeding a larger quantity of thicker formula to encourage optimal weight gain? Your baby grew fantastically. I would like to see the same results with my chicks, but I have been cautioned many times to feed very little, extremely watery formula to newborns. Your website has helped me a lot, and your knowledge is commendable, so any advice you can give would be extremely helpful. It might give me some peace of mind when dealing with other day-olds, as well, when I am conflicted about whether to feed as much as the parents would, or follow what other cautious hand-feeders say.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Awwww...soooo sweet. I hope he thrives. :heart:

vancha

He is digesting very well. I've started to feed him a little more, and at a thicker consistency. He is still empty after 2 hours. I think, despite worrying about wasting formula, you have to mix up more than you need in order to make sure the formula holds temperature. It is tricky to keep it warm when there isn't much of it, it's very thin, and you are feeding from a tiny syringe.

Status
Not open for further replies.