• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Little Baby Cockatiel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm glad that he's finally gaining weight!!!! Have you decided on a name for him?

vancha

Sprinting down the street
Sorry for my absence!
He's doing very well. Gaining lots of weight. Finally catching up. For now we're just calling him "Spock". It might stick. It is, well, technically, somewhat androgynous, being that it's not a human name. So whether male or female it doesn't really matter. He still needs to grow into his feathers, but he's doing a lot better than before.

I actually took a video but have to resize it and everything. It doesn't show much, just him begging and being his crazy self.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Ah...Spock is finially looking like he/she is on the way to being a big bird :)

Just looking at the eye (could also be camera flash) I'd say you have the infection almost gone, but not quite, so a few days more of the Amtyl.

vancha

Just when I thought everything was going well... The veins in his crop are very big and red. I'm still treating him with Amytl. What could this mean? The first though that sprang to my mind was yeast. I've been giving him probiotics with every feeding ever since he began the Ronivet all that time ago. I can't feel any yeast, but I have to wonder why his crop is looking like that. I gave him some ACV in his formula.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...back to the Health Food store. Get some Caprylic Acid (not sure if I spelled right) in capsule form. It is very effective as an antifungal is yeast is suspected. It worked just as well as Diflucan, meaning it is effective against systemic yeast. When I use it I mix approx 1/5 to 1/4 capsule in the forumla at every feeding the first day, then 2X a day for a week.

OH...one thing to check. The outer skin is one layer, and the crop has it's own separate layer of skin forming a pouch at the base of the crop. Try and gently pull the outer skin to see if the veins are prominant on the outer skin, or it it is the crop veins showing thru to the outer skin. If in the actual crop then definitely yeast. If also extended to the outer skin inside surface, then there is risk of it going systemic.

vancha

I actually decided to go the expensive route and made an appointment with my avian vet. We went in (after getting stuck in the snow about a million times - we've just had a bad snow storm over here) and the vet took a look at him, told me the weight is pretty good - he's 56 grams right now. I decided to take him in because along with the incredibly distended veins on his crop, his breath smells strongly of yeast. The vet took a culture and yes, thrush infection. I am giving him 0.15cc of nystatin twice a day for 2 weeks, in between feedings so that it comes into direct contact with the yeast. Anyway, he should be doing better soon. I just didn't want to take the risk.

vancha

This is an emergency message...
I don't know why, it was a complete accident... He regurgitated the medicine and yeast and choked on it. I can hear it gurgling in his lungs. I don't think he has long... I'm holding him and now he's closing his eyes. I can't believe something like this would happen. I feel at complete fault...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
That is so good you caught it and have him on Nystatin. Nystatin is a contact drug. it will kill the yeast that is one any tissue it comes in contact with. It is NOt absorbed into the system. it is non-toxic, thus you can not over-dose on it. BUT, excess Nystatin can cause abdominal pain, so adhere to the prescribed dosage.

Once veins are apparent it can rapidly coat the inside of the crop. Within 18-24 hours the whole inside can get coated with a thick layer of yeast.

WOW!...56 grams...he is growing...YAY!

Attachments

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
This is an emergency message...
I don't know why, it was a complete accident... He regurgitated the medicine and yeast and choked on it. I can hear it gurgling in his lungs. I don't think he has long... I'm holding him and now he's closing his eyes. I can't believe something like this would happen. I feel at complete fault...

Oh no! I am not experienced in these areas..
You should call the vet ASAP!
I hope he gets better! Let us know how he does!

vancha

No one at the vet's. :(
They can't deal with birds, particularly not this small, and the snow is so bad outside that most places are closed. I don't think there is much I can do...

And he was getting better. I can't stand this.:cry:

Tielygirl

Avenue Veteran
hmm.. we need more vets willing to deal with birds.

How much did he inhale? maybe if you kept him warm and made sure his airways are clear he might be able to work it out himself. *fingers crossed** He has been getting stronger and better so he at least has that going for him!

vancha

He's coughed a lot out. He's making some squeaking sounds now. Seems a tiny bit better. Just coughed some on my face. I'm doing all I can... Vets could only give him oxygen in hopes that he won't die from massive aspiration, so... because they can't do that for me, I'm doing what I can of it...

vancha

Just wanted to note that if he DOES survive, he is going to a vet to get treatment. I am in no way saying I won't get him treatment... just that right now it's up to him, and there aren't any vets to help him. :(

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Health food store. get Beta carotene capsules. The body converts it to vitamin A. Vit A helps with respiratory problem. Just 1/5 cap per feeding. Also use your Amtyl.

OK...if he is still with you. and you hear any rattling sound around the nares...this sounds gross but you have 2 options to get any fluids out. use your mouth over the neares and suck, or use a syringe flush to the nares and see if you can draw out any fluids.

Just an FYI, if ever needed. if you aspirate a chick you can immediately place your mouth over the entire beak and nares and GENTLY blow a quick puff of air into the bird. Most times this will force the glotus (SP) to close and the food to go down the right pipe,thus clearing the throat so that the bird can breath.

With the Nystatin it is best to mix the exact amount of formula you will feed, and then add the Nystatin to the formula. This will lessen the chances of aspiration too.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Yes...in the AM if he still has respiratory sounds, off to the vet, for hopefully an injection of a multi-vitamin that contains vitamin A.

vancha

Still gurgly, but... his voice is back to normal and he's begging for food... his feeding response is back, he just pooped on me, and he is walking around...

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
Where is the gurgling sound coming from. if the head, nares/nostrils that is good and can be drawn or sucked out.

OMG...how scary though because it happens so fast. That is good he is active and begging. Keep him warm tonight so that he does not have to use up body reserves.

vancha

okay, his nostrils are gurgly. I put a syringe up to it and tried to draw - nothing. But it made his nose more gurgly and made him sneeze, with no liquid, and now he is stressed out again. Eyes closed.

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
OK...the stuff is still up in the sinus cavities. That is better than the lungs. Hopefully the vet can flush the siinuses to get it out. While in the sinus cavitiy you might start to see the eyes start to look inflamed by morning.

vancha

A lot of gurgling is coming from his nose/head. I'd say, most of it. Okay, yeah. How does a vet do a sinus flush? Is it possible to help him in any way, and is it possible for them to get it out themselves?

Status
Not open for further replies.