• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Linnie questions! (Chewing bars, introducing another Linnie?)

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
So first things first, Tiki my sweet little linnie has developed a weird habit, she's begun to to chew on the bars of her cage, like gnawing kind of, and I can't understand why. She does have a cuttle bone in her cage, but I don't know if she even uses it :/ Tiki isn't locked in her cage while we are home, her gates are open and she is free to move in and out of the cage as she wishes for the full day, plus she has a butt load of toys, she eats all her fruits and veggies pellets and seeds... we do give her attention and talk to her, I'll sit by her cage and spend time with her... I'm really at a loss as to why she is doing this... any ideas?

Secondly...

I'd like to eventually introduce another Linnie, I'd eventually like them to live together if they get along, same gender of course, and I know there is at the minimum a 30 day quarantine period before they can be introduced. I'm thinking of getting a hand tame bird. My questions are as follows: Is it better to get a younger bird? or one of approx the same age, or it doesn't matter? what are the chances the birds will get along? Tiki is going to be 3 in May... what is the best way to go about introducing a new Linnie to Tiki? If i think of anything else I'll add.. and if you can think of something you think I should know, please let me know!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Two females together is not a good idea because they will both be territorial as females do. Was her gender determined by DNA? I had a male and female Linnie and they got along super. Of course eventually and male and female will most likely mate. My two did mate several times but never any eggs. I was prepared to handle any eggs by purchasing dummy eggs so there would be no viable eggs hatched. Linnies do need a cage mate more than most species of birds so you are headed in the right direction. As far as introduction that should not be an issue. After quarantine you could put them into side by side cages at first. I would aim for the two birds to be around the same age if possible.

Last edited:

DerbyBirdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lauren
We have two female linnies and they're getting along wonderfully! :blink: Maybe a little too wonderfully since they're starting to mate together. The only problem we foresee is eggs, but we'll be able to handle unfertilized eggs! Dinah was a little territorial at times, but they got to know each other and got close very quickly!

Dinah is 1.3 years old and Mia is 9 months old. We've had Dinah since November and Mia since March.

My boyfriend @santacruzjack wrote this thread if you're interested in learning about our two females: Pictures - The Girls at Play | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Ours chew the bars too. Just part of the daily routine I think