• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

less than a year old and I already need to replace my King's European cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I am not a fan of Kings cages and that really stinks that it last as long as it did.

I will tell you handsdown the Avian Adventures cages are well built, easy to clean and come packed with inspection sheets when you get them.

If you get one, you will not be unhappy. They are not overpriced, they are worth every cent spent on them.

:D
I agree AA cages are great, but I did have a problem with rusting as the holes are drilled and bars inside....so water gets in there and rusts. With the kings they bars are not drilled in...this was a huge selling point for me as well as the ease of cleaning due to this feature.

I must say I am extrememly disappointed with Kings though for their response...I would definitely direct him to this thread to see what we all think.

I am a big fan of kings cages, but this is so disappointing.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I am really really loving my Kings cage. It cleans up so nice. I too am very disappointed in the response you received. I didn't deal directly with Kings but through on of his distributors. I would definitely point him to this thread. With this economy you need to keep your customers happy and this type of response from them is not acceptable. It makes me question whether or not I would purchase from them again

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I'm really happy with my Kings European cages as well but they are several years old and it sounds like their manufacturing plant is no longer in Europe. What's the point of advertising as a European model if they are now being made in China. I was thinking about their SS cages but after reading through this whole thread, I don't think I'll give them any more of my business.

You know though, they've always been known for very poor customer service. I think if you get good customer service, it's against the norm.

Trout, have you made a decision on which cage you're going with. The Northwestern cages look really nice but they don't even give you an idea of what they cost and, once again, they do the same dumb thing that Kings does, they don't put enough vertical bars on the top and it makes it hard to hang toys. Although I do realize that they make them to order so you could something else with it. Another thing that bothers me is the ceramic bowls. Ceramic bowls for an SS cage? Sounds pretty silly to me! LOL!

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Wow. Yea, no kings cages for us that's for sure. If I am going to hand over as much money as cages cost these days, I expect decent customer service.

trout

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bobby
Trout, I was looking at the Kings SS that I think you were too. 24"x34"x42" inside? Nice cage and shipping is free if you are east of the Mississippi. They wanted $1200 for it I think though and I'm sick of the Victorian tops. I really want a dome top...beautiful cage though! I have my CAG in a similar sized cage and she's good to go in it. She's a big girl too at 550 grams.
This is the one I was looking at, 32x24x42. A little shorter inside than Keahi's current one but it would be perfect for him. If they handled this better I would have bought when I was ready for him. I adjusted to the lack of good toy hanging bars and the top grew on me.

King's Cages - Avian and Pet Bird Cages, Supplies, Food, Toys, Perches, Aviaries, Pluck No More

I'm really happy with my Kings European cages as well but they are several years old and it sounds like their manufacturing plant is no longer in Europe. What's the point of advertising as a European model if they are now being made in China. I was thinking about their SS cages but after reading through this whole thread, I don't think I'll give them any more of my business.

You know though, they've always been known for very poor customer service. I think if you get good customer service, it's against the norm.

Trout, have you made a decision on which cage you're going with. The Northwestern cages look really nice but they don't even give you an idea of what they cost and, once again, they do the same dumb thing that Kings does, they don't put enough vertical bars on the top and it makes it hard to hang toys. Although I do realize that they make them to order so you could something else with it. Another thing that bothers me is the ceramic bowls. Ceramic bowls for an SS cage? Sounds pretty silly to me! LOL!
I had my concerns with my European cage since the beginning. But other than some minor issues, what looked mostly like quality control issues, I have really liked it. I know they had poor customer service that's why I was at first ready to just cut my losses as I know they talk high of their product but don't back it.

I have the European cage, 2 economy cages, one of their play stands, and one of their aluminum travel cages. Everything else has been great but I can't bring myself to buy another one of their products now. :(

I'm getting the Northwestern cage, I'm waiting on revised drawings now. It's going to be approx 36"x24"x41" inside, 64" overall, with a flat top and the feeders moved to be about in the middle. I kinda giggled at the bowls as well, they also seem really small, like only 20oz. I like to use my own so I figured I'll use the two it comes with just for dry food and treats.

I emailed a few places that would do a custom cage and their price was competitive, close to what Freedom sells their already designed cages for.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
20oz bowls small? Wow! I think anything over 8 oz is more than big enough for food and water, though the 20oz I have works well for foot toys. I really like ceramic crocks... nice and heavy and resistant to being picked up and flung across the cage by Jasper. :) I'd love to hear more about your experience with NW cages and how their service is, as well as your cage when you get it of course. I'm sad that Kings is not the company I used to think it was.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I too am anxious to hear about what you think of the NW cage experience. Freedom is another good company to work with. Someone on one of my other groups got one of their cages and the company owner actually came over to her house to help her put it together after she had problems assembling it. They are located in the same area though, so that wasn't a big deal.

I have to say that Kings has lost all future sales from me as well and I was considering the same cage you were Trout. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the AA cage in SS. I'm just waiting for the shipping quote now.

avianantics

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shelly Wing
I have to say that I am very disappointed in Kings. Although I don't have the King's cages on the website, I can and do get them and I have sold many of them to customers over the years.

In fact, I was going to order and try their Aluminum cage, but of course, won't be doing that now. I have sent Richie King an email expressing my displeasure.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Speaking of SS cages .. has anyone looked into the Featherland line?

I own one, not SS .. and it's a great cage. I got it second hand .. and really do like it a lot.

I found out they're doing away with most of their powdercoated cages now, and will be focusing on their SS line for the most part.

Just thought I'd throw that name out there.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Shelly let us know if he responds....

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I think we should all write and voice our displeasure about how they treat their customers. One person they can shrug off, if 20 or 30 people write about the same issue, they might have to address it.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.