• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Leopard Geckos

Status
Not open for further replies.

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Mine was pretty girlie compared to others I have seen...:o:

This was when he could still get into the small vase{on the back left..red} I had to replace it as he outgrew it, and added a few other things too.
55 gal

I will look for another pic

here's a topdown shot of him

I love your set up! How roomy! He's so cute!

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
Emily, I will see if I have pics of my leos 20 longs. I keep paper towels in mine, but I might switch to tile soon. I really like the tile in my beardie cages. It should be great for leos too.

We keep a mix of hide types. Their favorites are the black plastic hides you can buy at reptile shows-- cheap little things, maybe $3 a piece for the small ones. They love those stupid, ugly hides, even more than the caves.

Mine are kept in pairs, and we've had no issues with aggression. The females will go into egg laying from time to time and I simply throw the eggs away. I've raised baby cresties and we got too attached to sell them-- so last thing I need is to raise baby leos!

Here are some pics:

And our blizzard gecko, Ares.

Here is a close up of his eye. It's called eclipse eye.
Blizzards are one of my favorite! Very cute.

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
I have not been able to find any breeders in my area, and the only ones i've seen at the pet shops (i look everytime) are like 110$. I keep my eyes out for one on kijiji that needs a home, though

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I have not been able to find any breeders in my area, and the only ones i've seen at the pet shops (i look everytime) are like 110$. I keep my eyes out for one on kijiji that needs a home, though
Once it warms up where you are (it does warm up in Canada, right? ;-) ) maybe you could locate a breeder elsewhere and have it shipped? Reptiles are actually good candidates for shipping in the fall and spring, when weather is mild. They have a very slow metabolism and do quite well if you ship overnight. We've had a variety of herps shipped to us this way.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Oh, i have a ten gallon tank. I've been told thats a decent size for a leopard gecko - am i wrong?

They need minimum size a 20 gallon long. Preferably a 30 gallon long.

Would a ten gallon be okay for a baby ?
[]

No. Its VERY hard to regulate temperatures in such a small tank.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

They do when they're very little. But when they get older it's MUCH MUCH less than a gecko.

I disagree. I bred Beardies and my pair ate A LOT. Perhaps you mean they eat less live foods as they get older? We limited live food to 3-5 per day for my breeding pair (per beardie) and they ate a lot of lettuce, carrots and other greens and veggies :).

Hypancistrus

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lauren
I raised all my babies in 10 gallons until they were about 4-5" long. Then they moved into 20L's.

I used an under tank heat pad that took up 1/3 of the tank bottom with a rheostat to regulate it. The pad I use for the 10 gallons is a ZooMed pad, but I prefer the T-Rex pads for larger vivs because you tape them on and can move them to another tank later. The ZM pads attach permanently.

To control the pads heat output, you can use plug-in style lamp dimmers as rheostats. Home Depot sells them in the lighting section. UTH's without some sort of control can soar into the low 100's (115-130* F) which can potentially burn your animal, so I always keep something on ours to prevent that. I keep a probe therometer in each cage and monitor temps that way.

prettyinpink

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I disagree. I bred Beardies and my pair ate A LOT. Perhaps you mean they eat less live foods as they get older? We limited live food to 3-5 per day for my breeding pair (per beardie) and they ate a lot of lettuce, carrots and other greens and veggies :).
yeah, sorry meant live food. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.