• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kookaburras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
With all the rain we have had for the past few days, we have been getting lots of Kookaburras.

DSC_110.jpg

DSC_111.jpg

DSC_112.jpg

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Oh my, what a cute little bird! I love that second picture, so fluffy.

SallyQZ

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Loree
They are so beautiful! The first time I ever saw (and heard) a real one is a memory that I'll never forget....

When I lived in Melbourne, I went out to try out a thoroughbred mare that was for sale. She was extremely cheap for her level of training, and her flashy looks - should have been a warning! I got on her, she immediately reared up and threw herself over backwards on me. Smashed my nose with her head in the process, so I had blood pouring down my front, completely dazed & not knowing which way was up. Luckily I had pulled the left rein as she went up, so she went over sideways, not straight back on me.

I laid there with her on top of me, still holding her head to my knee to keep her from trying to get up until I wiggled out - and this rotten KOOKABURRA starts laughing & laughing & laughing at me. :mad:

:lol:

Teasha

They are so beautiful! The first time I ever saw (and heard) a real one is a memory that I'll never forget....

When I lived in Melbourne, I went out to try out a thoroughbred mare that was for sale. She was extremely cheap for her level of training, and her flashy looks - should have been a warning! I got on her, she immediately reared up and threw herself over backwards on me. Smashed my nose with her head in the process, so I had blood pouring down my front, completely dazed & not knowing which way was up. Luckily I had pulled the left rein as she went up, so she went over sideways, not straight back on me.

I laid there with her on top of me, still holding her head to my knee to keep her from trying to get up until I wiggled out - and this rotten KOOKABURRA starts laughing & laughing & laughing at me. :mad:

:lol:
Lol that's funny! :X They are cute little birds!

Katster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
awwwwh super cute little ones :swoon:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
aww how beautiful are they! lovely photos :)

Reckon a Kookaburra holds a piece in the heart of every Aussies childhood!

there's a store near my old house that had two rescues,
it's amazing how much cuter and fluffier they are up close than you ever imagined!

Heres the boyfriend happily being mauled by them

I love your second pic! hehe it looks adorable

penguin

Avenue Veteran
Beautiful photos, Renae- they are very clear and the details of the birds are easy to see. Kookaburras kind of look like blue jays.
Wow Loree, I've heard fo taking your lumps, but man- that kookaburra added insult to real injury!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Great pictures!

Matt

Kathy N

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
kooo kooo kooo kaaa kaaa kaaaa kakakakakakakaka oh excuse me. :dancing:

Many years ago I was walking past the shop front of Mark Marone's Parrots of the World and that sound came rippling out of the front door. So naturally I had to go in. I've wanted one since then. Unless I had an aviary, I don't think it would be happy in a cage.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:lol: Loree! Their laugh isn’t nice early in the morning, which you probably know already. :rolleyes:

Casey, they quite calm and relaxed when they are sitting on you, I got to hold 2 of them a few months ago that were being cared for through a rehabber, I wish I would have gotten them until they were going to be released.

Thank you everyone. :)

ShirleyBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cimber
The pictures are great! I also think of the song whenever I hear abt or see one.lol. That was in kindergarten! So long ago I know...lol. I never realized how BIG they are( Thx to the pic of the boyfriend holding one.) They look scary to me.lol. Add the laugh into the mix...I'm just glad they're not native here. Cute to look at though. Do they cause issues,they look rotten?

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Renae, the horses in your avatar are also gorgeous!

Yeah they're lovely :) there's a few breeders over this way if you ever did want one! (assuming they're legal up there, but now I think about it I don't think they are!)

ShirleyBird, I'm not sure what you mean by "do they cause issues, they look rotten?"
Do kookaburras cause issues? they just eat insects and snakes/other small animals, and mind their own business (minus the laughing when it's about too rain), don't hurt anything?

Last edited:

Junior13

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Nic
I love kookaburras, we always have them in our property, when we are out in the garden they love to come and see what we have found for them. Normally we find worms and they come down and sit on our arms while they eat them, they then fly back into the tree and wait till we find some more.

They are great birds!!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
gorgeous pics!!

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Never realized they were so personable. But then they are very intelligent and are great at using humans for their own needs. Wonderfull pictures.

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Thank you, they are 2 of the family horses. :) I didn’t know people breed Kookaburra’s! :eek: I am going to have to do a search on that.

ETA: Found this, but nothing about breeders.

If you are able to keep a rescued Kookaburra it will be necessary to apply for a 'Rescue Permit' from 'The Department of Environment and Heritage' and if you have more than one you will also need a 'Permit to Keep and Sell Protected Species'.
Cimber, they don’t cause any issues at all, not sure what you mean by looking rotten either? Thanks again everyone. :D

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Yeah in SA they're on a basic permit,
I know where too legally get them, almost have as my boyfriend is obsessed.
But with that said I do remember him saying you can't have them in QLD unless you had one interstate and moved or something? Not sure if that last parts true.

You'd need a large aviary with scrub too keep them happy I reckon

Edit: whoops. For some reason I thought you were in QLD. I reckon they're legal in Vic as well...not sure about your permit system though lol...does my head in when I buy protected animals from NSW lol

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
Great photos! They have 3 at a pet store right now..I almost want them...lol I guess I would if I had the money.:D

Jacob2112

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacob
i saw one of those in the pet shop:huh: were i buy the food for my bird and they make a unmistakable call .which sounds uncannily like loud:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.