• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Kiwi left us this morning.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
As many here know Kiwi was having a rough go last month. Her left foot was bothering her and she probably fell off her perch. We took her to the vet and foot was swollen and she was under weight but seemed ok. She would get tired and fall or go down to the bottom and sit and one morning found her lying on her side and thought she was done but nursed her back. Talked to her vet and she seemed to be getting better so said we'd bring her in if she relapsed. She had a bad spell last night so I held her and fed and tried to water her. Every time I had to make a pit stop she'd get upset and call to me loudly. She seemed to be getting better and it was getting late so took her back to her house. When she saw her door 6 inches away she actually jumped out of my hands onto the side of the door :jawdrop1:
We had put extra perches everywhere to make it easier for her to get around and water and food where she preferred to sit. I checked on her during the night and she was sleeping, sister checked on her before she left and I checked the pet cam and she was snoozing in her spot. I got the day off so woke up about 9am and went out to check and she was on the bottom again so I scooped her up, got some lounge pants on and took her to my recliner to hold her and try to get food and water in her. She was really weak so I managed to get some flavored water in her but she refused even apple.
So I held her and told her I loved her and to hang in there. She slept in my hands staying warm and occasionally looking at me and eventually she couldn't continue and moved around and passed at 10:25 this morning. Vet called back and we let them know because we were taking her in today.
I think it was a combination of age and possibly a stroke because she was over 20, a blue crowned Conure.
I wish I could have been her friend longer as she seemed to really like the attention and help and loved just sitting on me napping and getting cuddles. Before it was give me a treat and go away though she always greeted us. :sorrow:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no! Oh my gosh I'm so very sorry. She knew yall loved her so much and I'm glad you were able to hold her as she went. Fly high and free sweet Kiwi.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Oh no! Oh my gosh I'm so very sorry. She knew yall loved her so much and I'm glad you were able to hold her as she went. Fly high and free sweet Kiwi.
I was really glad when I got the call to stay home, I wanted to be here for Kiwi because she wasn't looking good and figured make sure she's OK, rush her to the vet, or comfort her so she wasn't alone.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I am so very sorry for your loss I hope your ok as can be

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm so sorry. They really crawl into our hearts.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Fly high Kiwi!
When they have been hard to make good friends it feels like such a treasure when they let you in a little.
I know Kiwi appreciated that you were there when she needed you.
You certainly did all you could.
:sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'm glad you guys had each other for those final moments :sadhug2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I am so sorry to hear of your loss :(

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Oh this is heartbreaking for you. You did everything you could for her up until she quietly went to sleep in your hands.
Kiwi had a good long life, and she knew she was loved, especially by you.
Fly high sweet Kiwi :sorrow:
Sending you hugs. We are all here for you. xx
:sadhug2:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
:sadhug:im.so sorry, I'm glad you were together and no stress for her just love

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am truly so very sorry. As hard as it is, please try to cling to the good times that you had together.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh no! I am so sorry to read this. She was so very loved.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
They fly into our hearts and leave feathered us on our souls forever.... Fly high lil one straight over the bridge. Say hi to Rocky Sweet Pea ( Sweet Pea's angel day) and all those we love and miss. I'm so sorry for your loss, Terry.

Last edited:

WikiWaz

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Signe
I'm sorry for your loss.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
She was a failed foster from my friends mom who got dementia and couldn't keep her and Puff anymore. Been at least two years now. She smoked like a chimney and I don't know how how well they were cared for but they needed a safe home. Puff is a bit psychotic but watches us and wiggles when we don't get near him. Kiwi was more outgoing and loved making rooster crows clicks, and laughs to us. She always greeted us when we got home. They have happy huts and toys and there was Conure food so she probably cared about them till her mind started drifting away.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am very sorry for your loss Terry. I hope you get some comfort knowing you were with her at the end and I am sure she knew how much she was loved :sadhug:

Keeping you all in my thoughts.

DesertBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Thanks everyone, I really missed her welcome home greetings today. She'd go buhbeeboo, little sister said it sounded like I love you, and kind of a woowoo vocalization. Maybe that's typical for blue crowned Conures. None of the other birds were as consistent about greeting us as she was for her short time here. She was starting to open up and trust me seeing how I generally did the holding and feeding when she felt bad. Her beak spike was so long she would try to bite but mostly just turn her face sideways trying to knaw and lick us.
She always took treats nicely and was the first to notice when a bag of goodies was opened, then she'd be craining her head trying to see what we had.
I've got a good picture of her sleeping on my stomach her last night with us if anyone wants to see it.