• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Kita flung herself off of her ATOM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This may not be an emergency, well... it is to me.... I wanted quick answers....
About 20 minutes ago, I was changing the Video in their tv and I heard a thud... kita had been rocking herself on her ATOM and the next thing she apparently flung herself off .... she seems fine I have held her ... she shivered for a good while, but she was still talking to me and giving kisses....she is playing with me and I put her down on the floor and she walked around, no problems.... she is flapping her wings with no trouble.....but she seems fine except that she is puffed up .... her breathing calmed back down to normal within a few minutes.....

I need to know what to watch her for .... My Avian Vet is not available today, so I am kinda panicking

Last edited:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Dianne, just watch her...did you put her back on the Atom?...
If this is the first time for her "flying" off/hitting something...it is going to be a little "scary" for her...if she is walking/eating/ pooping (yes it will be "liquid" for the first couple of times) OK ...just keep an eye on her...she could have some shock about the whole thing but should be fine in an hour....:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She is on my shoulder preening herself and me.... she is acting perfectly normal.... she wanted back on the Atom, so I let and and she started trying to swing it hard again, she loves that thing!!! She loves to swing it hard but yes, this is the first time she came off.... I don't know what happened....., but I am the one who is too nervous for her to play on it right now....
I haven't seen any poops yet, she did drink a little .... I am thinking she is fine

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Very good for her wanting back on to play!:dancing:
Just keep an eye on her...unless she has a very "prominent" keel bone and hit hard on that area (that can cause the skin to split and bleed)...
If she is not "favoring" her wings/leg/foot etc...I would say she is OK...but watching for the next 24 hours won't hurt...Keep calm and relax and she will relax around you!:hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
how scary!! so glad she is ok....keep an eye on her for the next couple of days for any signs of breathing hard etc...or poop changes..you know the drill..:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
She seems to be herself... playing, chatting with me.... she did poop and it is watery for her, but nice color, no sign of bleeding....her keel bone feels ok, she isn't teneder anywhere.... I will watch her very very closely... thank you both so much for the replies and reassurance....
don't know what I would do without AA

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If this is the first time for her "flying" off/hitting something...
My husband just read this and said "1st time.... you mean this could be common??"
God didn't give us human children, but I swear you would think our pets are children (they are to us!!!)

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My husband just read this and said "1st time.... you mean this could be common??"
God didn't give us human children, but I swear you would think our pets are children (they are to us!!!)
I feel the same way about mine :hug8: I'm sure she'll be fine, though.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
So far, so good.....

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
:D Just wait!:rofl:
I'm sorry to laugh but having had at least 20 macaws in my house...ANYTHING can happen...YOU must learn NOT to Panic...concern is OK but PANIC is not...they pick up your vibes of nervousness and THAT will PANIC them....when a bird is in a "health issue/hurt" CALMNESS is imperative...and you have to TRAIN YOURSELF to do this...no LOUD talking/screaming etc...a soft voice and calming energy will help your bird more than anything when things happen and they are scared...slow movement also...this is why you have your emergency kit where you know where it is and EVERYTHING you need is in ONE SPOT! YOU are not running around looking for things while your bird is bleeding/injured...it can say your birds life...:hug8:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is so funny.... I am a nurse, but when it comes to my pets, I fall apart.... when we first moved out here to the country my Boxer at the time got cut open on barbed wire and I was hysterical.... my husband was hollering "your'e a nurse" and I was hollering back.... "no I'm not"

I am a lot better at staying calm since Anna came here... (I took her to the Vet about once a week) but I count on you guys to get me through whether or not to worry!!!

Anyway, Kita seemed fine the rest of the day, everything tonight was normal as usual.... she did her sweet "bye-bye" a hundred times while I was tucking her in..... she is so precious, I would hate to have to take her ATOM away, she is so wild on it.... hmmmm.... maybe a rubber room????

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
NO don't take away her Atom because she gets wild on it!...She is having fun and that gives her self confidence!!!! This is so important to a bird...YOU just relax...and enjoy her enthusiasm and YOU will also gain confidence in her...:hug8: It's OK!

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Ok... so let her be Kita of the Jungle on her ATOM.... gotcha!!!!

Bet she will be more careful now though!!!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Glad Kita is okay!:D
BF what all is in your emergency kit?

Tiger

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tiger
but I swear you would think our pets are children (they are to us!!!)
I know what you mean. All my birds are my kids! I have a 9yr old daughter. And all three of my birds behave better then she does right now!:rofl::rofl:

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Kita is just fine this morning... all full of "Hi" "Hello" "What's up" and Kissies!!!
Thank you all for bearing with me.......

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
:D
I think Kita just wanted to give you a heart attack yesterday! :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Is she clipped? Perhaps allowing a couple flight feathers to grow out will help her be able to GLIDE. It sounds like she has a too rough of a clip or she would've just glid to the ground after jumping from the atom, instead of doing a thud.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Is she clipped? Perhaps allowing a couple flight feathers to grow out will help her be able to GLIDE. It sounds like she has a too rough of a clip or she would've just glid to the ground after jumping from the atom, instead of doing a thud.
Her clip should be grown out by now (since June) but she went towards the short wall (<10 ft) so that may be why, it may have freaked her when she saw the wall .....

Status
Not open for further replies.