• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent just rehomed a 13.5 yr old eclectus, nostril separation?

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
This is a serious emergency and as others have said she needs to get to a vet. I hope that you have found one that can provide adequate care.

It looks like a beak injury that has become infected. Alternatively, a severe sinus infection may have erode through the beak. She is clearly breathing through the beak. This suggests that this is an extensive infection. In humans, we would be worried about this infection eroding into the brain or becoming blood borne. Please get her to a vet as soon as possible. It is terrible that you are in this situation with your new bird. She was obviously neglected.

Last edited:

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Yikes! I agree that an emergency vet trip is in order!

Ziggymon

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Heidrun, or Mouse
This is a serious emergency and as others have said she needs to get to a vet. I hope that you have found one that can provide adequate care.

It looks like a beak injury that has become infected. Alternatively, a severe sinus infection may have erode through the beak. She is clearly breathing through the nostril/ beak. This suggests that this is an extensive infection. In humans, we would be worried about this infection eroding into the brain or becoming blood borne. Please get her to a vet as soon as possible. It is terrible that you are in this situation with your new bird. She was obviously neglected.
Agreed.

If she has stopped having discharge, that's not necessarily a good sign - in fact, with an infection that has been going on for a while, as this one obviously has, from the look of the pus, it can be a very bad sign - the infection may have gone "underground", with the pus no longer having an avenue for release.

Tinta

Avenue Veteran
This actually looks like a nasty injury.
In the last pic posted where you say her wound has stopped weeping, you can clearly see there is a piece of her beak completely missing.

Keep us updated, please.
I hope things go well for the two of you.

sonja

Jogging around the block
Oh, my, I agree with everyone else - VET ASAP!! Please report back and let us know what he says.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Any updates?

BeckersMom

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kate
I hope they were able to find a vet. However, for those not firmiliar Millville is & has been In a VERY BAD snow storm all day & will be through tomorrow with dangerously cold temps (single degrees above zero F!).
If you can get to them the animal hospital of Millville may be able to help you @ least for the time being.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
just wondering how this girl is doing and if you were able to get her to the vet.

ArtBird

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Celia
I do not, the local vet does basic bird things, but isn't a avian vet. Also they are closed until monday.
How is your sweet girl doing??? Everyone that posted here is concerned & wants to know..... I hope you are doing ok with the outpouring of alarm from experienced parrot lovers... It's not your fault at all, that she came to you in this condition, please let us know how both of you are doing, ok?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I suspect we may not hear back from the OP. I hope the bird is ok and has been treated by a vet. :(

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
I'd strongly suggest taking this bird to the veterinary hospital at the University of Pennsylvania Matthew J Ryan School of Veterinary Medicine as they have the best avian vets anywhere in our area. I take my crew there and the care is exemplary.

blt93932

Moving in
I know I may receive a lot of hate, but since adding lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and daily washing of the area, and tetracycline antibiotics in her water changed daily, her beak has greatly improved! No more weeping or mucus, completely dried up, half of the feather that you could see in the first pictures has fallen out. The first pics looked very bad also because she just ate and had food all over. I believe she is healing well, she loves fresh sprouts, sweet potatoes, and apples! Here is a picture of her now. The bottom of the sore area has reattached itself to her beak and it is completely filled in now with new growth.
photo.JPG

Chaiah

Jogging around the block
She should still be seen by a vet. You've done a good job with her, but birds can harbor illnesses while seeming to be just fine. If you have any other birds and aren't extremely vigilant, you'll be exposing them, too. No "hate" at all. Just common sense for bird caretakers.

I know I may receive a lot of hate, but since adding lots of fresh fruits and vegetables and daily washing of the area, and tetracycline antibiotics in her water changed daily, her beak has greatly improved! No more weeping or mucus, completely dried up, half of the feather that you could see in the first pictures has fallen out. The first pics looked very bad also because she just ate and had food all over. I believe she is healing well, she loves fresh sprouts, sweet potatoes, and apples! Here is a picture of her now. The bottom of the sore area has reattached itself to her beak and it is completely filled in now with new growth.
View attachment 166432

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I'm glad she has improved some. She should still see a vet so that you can find out the source of the infection. I noticed in the picture that she still doesn't have her beak closed. Is she able to close it now?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I am not sure why you have not taken the bird to a vet..there is not lots of hate here..just concern for the bird. glad she is improving but she still needs to see a vet

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes Hon, I agree. I am glad the infection is clearing but her beak seams to be out of alignment. This can definitely cause problems later on if not treated. We all want what is best for our birds and genuinely care about their wellbeing. Lots of experience here and we just want her to feel better.

Last edited:

blt93932

Moving in
I chose not o go to the vet due tot he fact that most likely if it was indeed an infection, they would prescribe her antibiotics, I spent almost all of Saturday and Saturday night reading about infections in birds and what antibiotics to use to treat them (including some awesome google scans of veterinarian journals, great resource, scanned books) , and then did so.

Onto her beak not aligning, the right of the top beak closes against the left of the bottom beak. Is this something a vet can correct? Or will her beak regrow correctly?