• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent just rehomed a 13.5 yr old eclectus, nostril separation?

blt93932

Moving in
I rehomed tthis eclectus yesterday morning, the guy owned her for 8 years, he never saw this until i pointed it out. The red looks like a feather up close. The pictures he had of her from a day earlier didn't have this, so it just happened. She weeps some out of her nostril on that side. Appetite is good, drinking water too, doesn't seem to be in pain. Is the cere separating from the beak? Think it can heal? She's my first real parrot and I already enjoy her so much! photo 4.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo 3.JPG

Attachments

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
a well birdie check up with a vet is something recommended since you just got her. The vet can then check this out also. Looks like she has some type of injury there.

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
That does not look good whatsoever. Do you know of a good avian vet?

blt93932

Moving in
I do not, the local vet does basic bird things, but isn't a avian vet. Also they are closed until monday.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She injured it somehow. Get her checked out by a avian vet
.she should have a wellness check anyways.:hug8:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It looks like there is also puss in the back of her mouth. This gal's care is not going to be easy or cheap. Where are you located? We can help you find someone qualified to help you treat her.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Something like this would not have come up overnight, the person that sold you this bird was either completely ignorant of birds or knew that she was ill and purposefully lied to you.

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Please seek an emergency vet ASAP if you do not have access to an avian vet. It looks very abnormal, especially with the gooey stuff in her beak. Looks like a nasty infection. :( please keep us updated!!

Momto3boys

Real Name
Brandy
Does she close her beak at all?

Poor girl, I agree with everyone else, this girl needs to go to the vets!

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Please know that we also know this has to be very overwhelming, especially if she is your first bird! We're here to help and offer advice or just listen if you need assistance treating her.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Nasty infection is right! I agree that it did not happen overnight. If you were just seeing pix before they likely weren't current. She appears to be mouth breathing as her beak is open in every shot. It is serious and I agree she needs to see an emergency vet ASAP then an avian vet soon after.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Someone else asked, and we are not asking for your address but possibly a town or city (and country if necessary) so that we can try and find an avian vet who will help you without charging an arm and a leg if possible. We pretty much all have birds and would like to help as much as we can. :hug8: :hug8:

blt93932

Moving in
  1. I'm in millville nj, this evening she's all dry, no weeping, whenever I take pictures she opens her mouth, but she does close her beak in think, I'm not sure what a completely closed beak looks like :/ image.jpg
  2. The bottom beak is meeting the top in this pic

blt93932

Moving in
The red that looks like blood is a feather, when it's dry you can clearly see it, just not sure how that feather is there? Is it clogged? Previous owner seems to think it will heal itself in a few days, he had a few birds all very well cared for from what I saw.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Okay, I'll say this flat out - I don't have any ekkies but any bird who is breathing with its beak open would indicate that it has a problem breathing through its nostrils (nares). I am hoping that some members who are in NJ can refer you to a vet, but there are some avian vets in south Jersey. I would suggest you go online and type in "avian vets, Milville, NJ" to get the best results and find a vet closest to you. The fact that the abscess has stopped weeping doesn't mean it is okay, I would urge you to take this bird to a vet asap. Your second photo in post above would indicate that he/she is not comfortable. Godspeed and good luck and please let us know what happens. :hug8: :hug8: :hug8: