• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Just how weird are parrot owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Link
[FONT=arial, helvetica, verdana, sans-serif][COLOR=00000]
[/COLOR]
WHAT IS the matter with you parrot people?

That's how I was thinking of starting this column, but instead I decided on something a bit more subtle. Like, "What peculiar traits do parrot owners share?"

Because, let's face it, parrot people are weird. Now don't deny it or send me indignant notes about how normal you are - you're not fooling anyone. Think about it: When a normal person brings a pet such as a dog or a cat or a goldfish into their homes, they continue to lead normal lives. They socialize with other normal people, they continue to listen to the same types of music, read the same types of books, eat the same types of foods as before. You, my parrot-afflicted friend, do not.

So how odd are you? Let's make a list!

You are a scholar of psittacinism. You scour the Internet and bookstores for research material on parrots. You join discussion groups and share in agonizing detail each tiny movement of your parrot with other parrot owners, who then share a more-than-unusual interest in everyone else's parrot's poop. In fact, poop now occupies so much of your thought and free time that you have lost interest in politics, career, and IRA earnings.

You have begun avoiding normal people, because your parrot seems to have taken a dislike to normal people. This includes your spouse. When he (or she) walks into the same room as you and your bird, there is obvious resentment at the intrusion. However, you are trying to stop reacting this way.

You eat parrot food. That is, you have taken to eating the special healthy people food you fix for your parrot. It's so much easier than separately preparing the usual junk for yourself. This is, in general, a good thing. (Just remember to avoid the birdie bread you made with Harrison's.)

You have rearranged your furniture to accommodate your bird and future birds. If you are severely afflicted, you have bought a new house especially designed for parrotly needs, including vaulted ceilings, screened-in porches and rooms with drains in the floor.

You buy only healthy and interesting pet toys that cost the equivalent of two months' salary and can be destroyed by a beak in five minutes. You ask store clerks questions such as, "Is the dye on this wooden block human grade?" and "What types of chemicals were used to treat this suede strip?" and "Where can I find your organic, preservative-free unshelled imported almonds?"

You make your own bird toys. Sometimes you do this even when you can find bird toys you like. "My toys are cheaper to make, or more interesting," you tell yourself. And then you set up an Internet store or auction site to sell your toys. You use your other talents For the Good of Parrots. You make quilted cage covers, human clothing protectors, jewelry designed to be worn by humans and chewed on by parrots, paintings of parrots, key chains engraved with the parrot's name.

Parrots are the dominant species on earth and they are simply using us to perpetuate their race and eventually take over. If you doubt that, just remember that it's the dominant creature who gets other creatures to take care of it. Think about all you do for your bird, the hours spent cleaning his cage, cleaning the floor, cleaning the food and water dishes, cleaning the bird toys, cooking food, cleaning the walls of said food, bandaging your skin from the latest nip. Then think about how you sit down exhausted and feel grateful and honored to look upon his pampered plumage and big dark eyes.

This is not normal. You'll never see a dog person made misty by the beauty of their pet slowly lifting its leg.

I say it's high time we parrot people reclaim our lives and save the human race from certain demise. Be strong - it won't be easy or done quickly, but by acting together we can thrive as a species again.

I'll be right there with you, just as soon as I finish sewing this bird cosey and taking the pellet casserole out of the oven.
[/FONT]

BethySue

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Bethany
Link

Parrots are the dominant species on earth and they are simply using us to perpetuate their race and eventually take over. If you doubt that, just remember that it's the dominant creature who gets other creatures to take care of it. Think about all you do for your bird, the hours spent cleaning his cage, cleaning the floor, cleaning the food and water dishes, cleaning the bird toys, cooking food, cleaning the walls of said food, bandaging your skin from the latest nip. Then think about how you sit down exhausted and feel grateful and honored to look upon his pampered plumage and big dark eyes.
:rofl: The whole thing was funny, but I loved this paragraph. How honored we are to clean up bird poop.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'll be right behind you just as soon as I finish preening and honing my beak!! :D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I look daily at myself in the mirror and I know I'm weird. I won't deny it.:D

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
A lot of that is sooo true! my eating habits changed and i no longer invite certain people over for a lack of respect on both feathered and non feathered parties. should add that there are little birdy decorations, be they figurines, or toys parts tracked through the house! :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have never tried to be normal thats just too hard. Besides I like being different (weird).

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
who us weird!!!!!! we are normal..everyone else is WEIRD

Christina71

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Christina
My favorite paragraph was the one beginning with "Parrots are the dominant species" lol, In many ways It seems that way. I remember a time when I would use my extra money to buy something special for myself...now it seems to all go to the birds along with money that I should be using for other things...

the toys and toy parts must have an additive that soaks through the skin and causes addiction, it has to be the reason why we get way too excited when we look at pics of each others orders, and it explains the feeling I get after placing an order...I just can't stop my obsession with checking to see where my order is and how long it will take to get here...or maybe It's not an addiction and I am just crazy!

Seriously though, I do get some weird looks from people if I start rambling about my birds, and have noticed that with some people I have to tone it down a little...I often forget that they don't understand.

Greycloud

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm not weird!:eek: Do you think I am weird!:confused: I don't feel weird. :huh:Is this weird?:rolleyes:

Gen120

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
haha, I'm weird, I admit it, my best friend knows it, my family knows it and so do my neighbors- :lol:

petah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Peter
I must admit I am weird... in a good way, therefore I bought a parrot ... or two soon... maybe a few more later on if I can afford it. There goes my bank account!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Haha,I love this. I found it a few months ago and I actually have it printed out and tacked to my wall to look at everyday.

crystaljam

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Crystal
What's wrong with parrot food?

And when did I ever admit to *not* being weird?

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.