• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java Trees: Are they worth the price?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Before you spend the money on a stand you could by a multi-branch java perch for a test run to see if they will use it. I did that with putting it in the cage first and then when he liked it I switched and attached it so the perch was on the outside of the side of the cage to see if he'd still like it when he had more options. Those larger java stands are really pricey so for me buying a large perch was a great way to be sure Gandalf would like it. He has two stands side by side and prefers the Java. My grey however follows what Michelle pointed out, she prefers to stay on me.
That is a great suggestion! Thank you! :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! I didn't realize the tabletop perches could be so big! Thank you for sharing!
That's the large size. If you decide to get one from My Bird Store you can check with the store regarding branch diameters.

I also have a small custom made tabletop manzanita stand from Manzanita Burlworks:
play gym 5.jpg

I had a large one but it was infested with wood borers so I got a refund. I want to buy another stand/play gym and will go with a Java one.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Looks like Kings Cages has some table tops that are slightly cheaper. I do like them, but the costs always deters me and I have like 6 gyms in storage not being used so I don't really need another. I would love to buy the java perches for their cages though.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't think they are worth it for smaller birds, at least for me. Not that there is anything wrong with them - they are nice stands. But you can make your own stand from branches for next to nothing and arrange the perches the way you like. You can also pick perch sizes that are ideal for them - most java trees have branches that are a little too big.
For bird birds that would destroy a stand made of common hardwoods, they would be more useful.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Some of the bigger Java perches are too heavy for my cages. I had to buy two to accept that they don't work on my cages. I even cut them down a bit.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I don't think they are worth it for smaller birds, at least for me. Not that there is anything wrong with them - they are nice stands. But you can make your own stand from branches for next to nothing and arrange the perches the way you like. You can also pick perch sizes that are ideal for them - most java trees have branches that are a little too big.
For bird birds that would destroy a stand made of common hardwoods, they would be more useful.
I've heard that too... I just have such a hard time with DIYS, but I'm thinking I may have an easier time with making hanging playgym for them. So far I have only attempted making playgym that roll along the floor.

I feel like DIY projects are easier when you own property and have bird safe trees in your backyard. For my DIY attempts, I've had to go out into the woods with clippers and a saw and lug branches back. Which would be fine if my handy work produced some good results, but they have yet to do so. So much for those woodworking classes in Middle School! Haha.

I appreciate the advice, though. It is an important comsideration.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Some of the bigger Java perches are too heavy for my cages. I had to buy two to accept that they don't work on my cages. I even cut them down a bit.
Good to know!!! :blink: I'll probably buy the smallest branch size available, but I will be sure to check the approximate weight first!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
But I have grapewood branches and use those by themselves on top of the cages and also have had some attached together to make a playstand.
I would really like to see your use of the grapewood branches... could you post a photo? Thanks!

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
@ode.to.parrots and @Alien J ; here is a pic of the original playstand I made.
HPIM0539.JPG HPIM0554.JPG

and random branches make great perches (and easy to move around!)
HPIM0486.JPG

I have taken the original playstand apart and have a new version - will have to get some pics of that. have some extra grapewood branches and want to make a hanging gym also.