• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Java Trees: Are they worth the price?

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
As some of you know, I've struggled with DIY parrot play trees. I'm considering taking one more stab at making a great parrot play tree, but... I am also so tired of putting in the time, energy and finances for projects that just don't turn out. I've been considering just going out and buying a java tree or a java table top stand or something like that, even though the prices always make my jaw drop...

However, I've heard some mixed reviews about java trees. Some people say they are GREAT and their bird loves their java tree so much they practically live on it. Other say that their birds are not crazy about it because java wood is really hard and slippery. While my cockatiels absolutely love their manzanita branch perch and will rest on it even though it is one of their lower perches, they have yet to try out a java perch.

What have your experiences with java trees and table top stands been? Yay or nay? If you do have one, where would the best place be to shop for one? Should I just dive in and buy one or should I try and try yet again with my DIY efforts?

I appreciate the advice!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
My cockatiels don't like anything I can't hang a toy on, or they can at least chew up. Oh, unless there is food of course. They will sit on anything if there is food involved. So if you do get one, make sure there is something for them to do on it. Have you looked into a Wingdow? My tiels love theirs.

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
I have one table top manzanita for outside use, one large java tree connected with fun ropes and acrylic chains to a large manzanita tree stand. Can't imagine not having them. My girl loves her trees! She's bigger than a tiel though so I'm not much help regarding the little ones. The initial purchase price of the large trees was a bit high but so worth it.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
They are worth it. My one complaint is that they all (I have three) seem to be arranged in ways that allow birds to poop on branches below them, or, over the edge of the catch tray.

I looked patiently on craigslist to obtain mine. They are pricy new. Good luck.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend purchasing from a place where you can actually choose the one you want. Sometimes My Bird Store - Discount Exotic Bird Supplies - mybirdstore.com has good sales on them.
King's Cages makes Borneo wood stands and those also go on sale every now and then. Both of these places post photos of the actual stands. If you don't see one you like at My Bird Store you can always give them a call and see if they have anything else in stock and if they will send you photos of a few other ones that might be good for your birds.
I have a large Java tabletop stand and looking back I wished I had purchased a smaller one not just in overall size but also diameter of the branches.
You can wrap the branches in vet wrap so they aren't as slippery.
I would like to purchase another tabletop stand and it will most likely be a java one.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
My birds love the ones I have. I do vet wrap the perches: it seems to make a big difference. I just pick it up at TSC.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Wow!!! Haha. I didn't expect all of your responses to be so overwhelmingly positive!!!

My cockatiels don't like anything I can't hang a toy on, or they can at least chew up. Oh, unless there is food of course. They will sit on anything if there is food involved. So if you do get one, make sure there is something for them to do on it. Have you looked into a Wingdow? My tiels love theirs.
I've been thinking of getting one to start and see how the like it.

I have one table top manzanita for outside use, one large java tree connected with fun ropes and acrylic chains to a large manzanita tree stand. Can't imagine not having them. My girl loves her trees! She's bigger than a tiel though so I'm not much help regarding the little ones. The initial purchase price of the large trees was a bit high but so worth it.
Do you find that Layla prefers one type of tree over another?

I looked patiently on craigslist to obtain mine. They are pricy new. Good luck.
There is one on Craigslist near me right now, but I think the average diameter is a little too big for my little tiels' feet.

My birds love the ones I have. I do vet wrap the perches: it seems to make a big difference. I just pick it up at TSC.
Does the vet wrap damage the branches with residue or anything like that? How often do you have to change it?

Thank you all! This has been an eye opener for me. I really felt like DIY was the way to go to save money, but the most valuable commodity really is time (and energy), right? I am starting to feel silly for the amount of time and energy and money I have put into trying to make a DIY tree that my birds actually like. It seemed so much easier at the time. :bash:
Live and learn, right? :confused:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:coffeescreen:

Just curious: what makes a perfect java tree perfect? :)

For me... I want a large tree with branches not over other branches. ( think poop ) Also, all branches within the base, ( again think poop ) ;)

My guys are flighted so I want good landing areas. Level perches and different heights in the tree.

I have a HUGE java tree addiction!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary

For me... I want a large tree with branches not over other branches. ( think poop ) Also, all branches within the base, ( again think poop ) ;)

My guys are flighted so I want good landing areas. Level perches and different heights in the tree.

I have a HUGE java tree addiction!
That makes sense. I feel like that is what I need for by guys, but with diameters that would be compatible for cockatiels. If you don't mind my asking, do you have any pictures that you would be willing to share?

Laylatoo

Jogging around the block
Mayor of the Avenue
Layla loves both trees equally:). The manzanita came from manzanita habitats IMG_9119.JPG and the java from wayfair.com. I love the look of the java but the manzanita is just as sturdy and nice also. Both have the same size large base and she rarely poops off the sides. My trees also very rarely get pooped on the branches either. I steam clean everything once a week. I now have an orbit swing and a round rope swing on them and ordered a java root hanging swing to hopefully attach to it as well. She climbs all over her trees all day long.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I eventually would like to get one for Elvis my goffin. I think he would enjoy it. I will say, however, it would not have worked with my cockatiel. I was his playstand. LOL. I bought him a custom made play stand and he wanted nothing to do with it. A java tree would have worked the same way. Why would he want a java tree when he could sit on me and get scritches instead. LOL. So, just something to keep in mind- whether you think your tiel will actually use it since they are a rather pricey investment.

Last edited:

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
We started buying Java trees the minute they hit the marketplace - many years ago!
Back then, a simple Java tree was about 3 x the price you pay now.

We've had all sizes, including the largest.
They are a fantastic investment! Not sure how anyone could anything negative to say about them.
A very smart entrepreneur certainly found an ideal use for dormant coffee trees!

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
Thank you @aooratrix for the pictures!!! I can see now exactly what you are talking about by the "perfect java tree," especially with the different heights of the branches. You have a very lucky flock. :)

I eventually would like to get one for Elvis my goffin. I think he would enjoy it. I will say, however, it would not have worked with my cockatiel. I was his playstand. LOL. I bought him a custom made play stand and he wanted nothing to do with it. A java tree would have worked the same way. Why would he want a java tree when he could sit on me and get scritches instead. LOL. So, just something to keep in mind- whether you think your tiel will actually use it since they are a rather pricey investment.
Haha. I know what you mean! Indy has days where he is velcroed to me, but then other days (like today), he's just happy being in the same room as me. It really depends on his mood. Buckbeak only wants to sit on my shoulder on rare occasions. When my fiance is in the room, then he wants to be as close to him as possible. :xflove:
They do have a play gym that they like well enough. They hang out on it, climb around, fly to it, so I know they are happy using a play gym. But there are several problems with it - for one, I HATE it because it is a pain to clean and what my tiels like to do is sit on the very edge of it so that poop falls outside of the poop tray and all over either the table or the floor. (Which is fine, I mean, it comes with the territory of living with birds, but this isn't just one or two droppings a day... It's an afternoon's worth of poop landing on the floor). The play gym also relies on a dowel perch as the highest perch. It was also with them in their last home, so I think it is pretty old, so it is kind of falling apart at this point. ... Also, not that it matters much to them, but, for me, it is a total eyesore!
But you do make a good point, especially since I want to have lots of hanging swings and such in my new apartment (superintendent said it was okay). I'm thinking that once I get those up I'll see if we still need (and have space for) a non-hanging playgym option. I'll probably start with a table top tree since it is more affordable and versatile.

We started buying Java trees the minute they hit the marketplace - many years ago!
Back then, a simple Java tree was about 3 x the price you pay now.
That certainly puts things into perspective!!! Haha. Looks like I should just get over the price and start saving! :D

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I have never purchased a java tree for my small birds - I thought they would be too slippery for them and I wanted to keep the natural branch look and did not want to use vet wrap. But I have grapewood branches and use those by themselves on top of the cages and also have had some attached together to make a playstand.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I have never purchased a java tree for my small birds - I thought they would be too slippery for them and I wanted to keep the natural branch look and did not want to use vet wrap. But I have grapewood branches and use those by themselves on top of the cages and also have had some attached together to make a playstand.
I was thinking of making a hanging gym using grapewood. I love the way grapewood looks, and the texture does seem like it would be good for their feet. Where did you buy your branches?

I actually don't mind the way the vet wrap looks on java trees. I think if done right, it adds a nice splash of color. I even have to blue vet wrap that I just haven't used yet. But I want to be sure that it won't damage the tree before I start using it. I do understand your point, though. I think the main thing for my two tiels is making sure the diameter is good for their feet. They love their manzanita perch, and apparently manzanita is more slippery than java, from what I've heard. They even nap on their manzanita branch, and it's not even the highest perch in the cage! So I think they might like java? :huh:
I was also thinking I could attach some sisal rope perches between the branches to make climbing around easier and to add some texture variety.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
Before you spend the money on a stand you could by a multi-branch java perch for a test run to see if they will use it. I did that with putting it in the cage first and then when he liked it I switched and attached it so the perch was on the outside of the side of the cage to see if he'd still like it when he had more options. Those larger java stands are really pricey so for me buying a large perch was a great way to be sure Gandalf would like it. He has two stands side by side and prefers the Java. My grey however follows what Michelle pointed out, she prefers to stay on me.