• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Jardine

Jardine

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sandra
Hi I am a new member. I have a female African Grey about 12 years. I am wondering what is the best for calcium for her. She won’t eat a cuttlebone.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
:hello::welave:
Cuttlefish bone does contain calcium but it's in a form a parrot's body can't use effectively. The best source of calcium, indeed all nutrients is a well balanced diet, dark leaves like kale are good sources.​
Is there a specific need for extra calcium?

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is there a specific need for extra calcium?​

Female birds need extra calcium when they are producing eggs so that they do not deplete their bodies' stores. Also, the extra calcium can help in preventing egg binding.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Welcome! I've never had a bird like the cuttlebone either ;)

Dark leafy greens (lightly cooked to allow the calcium to be absorbed), almonds, and tofu are good whole food sources of calcium! Letting her to get access to unfiltered sunlight will help with calcium absorption too.

Otherwise, calcium is also found in most pelleted diets and there are also Calcium/Vitamin D3 supplements you can provide.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Female birds need extra calcium when they are producing eggs so that they do not deplete their bodies' stores. Also, the extra calcium can help in preventing egg binding.
No-one said this bird was laying.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Which brand of pellets is your bird eating? Should be a calcium content on the back of the bag so you can compare it to other brands of pellet. I believe one of the best for African Grays is Harrisons High Potency. That is what my vet suggested to me when I had grey and she loved the pellets to.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
No-one said this bird was laying.
Just so you know, they use the calcium to develop the eggs which begins before they start laying.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Just so you know, they use the calcium to develop the eggs which begins before they start laying.
And if she's not about to lay eggs? How does anyone know if their bird is about to lay eggs other than physical signs which the OP hasn't even mentioned in this thread. It's not like she'll slip you a note through the cage bars asking for extra calcium cos she's gonna start laying in 21 days. Or are all female greys chronic egg layers?
I don't understand why you would attempt to shoot down a perfectly natural question.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If I am not mistaken, African Greys are reported to have a greater need for calcium than other species. I am not sure why this is. Also with females it is good to be sure that they are getting enough calcium regardless if they are known layers or not.

As a tangent example, in America at any rate, they recommend that any woman who is of child bearing age take prenatal vitamins whether she plans on having children or not.

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
If I am not mistaken, African Greys are reported to have a greater need for calcium than other species. I am not sure why this is. Also with females it is good to be sure that they are getting enough calcium regardless if they are known layers or not.

As a tangent example, in America at any rate, they recommend that any woman who is of child bearing age take prenatal vitamins whether she plans on having children or not.
Thank you for explaining to me. Not having kept a grey I wasn't aware of this. Noted for future reference.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! I've had better luck with my birds liking mineral blocks over cuttlebone.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
You can provide your bird with a mineral block, give them 1/2 of a TUMS a couple of times a week, feed high calcium foods or give a calcium supplement. D3 is needed for the absorption of calcium and if not included in the pellets they eat must be provided by UNFILTERED (not through glass) sun light.

Jardine

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Sandra
Thank you for the reply. Lacey is on Harrison’s high potency pellets. I was just a little worried she wasn’t getting enough calcium. She is quite fussy. She was only fed parrot food that you would get at a Walmart before she came to live with us. I try to give her a balanced diet but it can be difficult to get her to eat things she hasn’t had. She isn’t laying eggs.