• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

It's official... Rejoining the pionus club!

atomicfriday

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
I haven't been regular on the forums for awhile, but some of you may remember my wonderful bronze wing hen Bebe, who passed over a year ago due to a terrible oversight made by me. I will always feel so guilty and mourn her loss, she was perfect and beautiful in so many ways. I still cry about her.

Since then I have adopted a sweet CAG, he plucks and shreds but he is still beautiful to me. He is great and will always have a home with me but I fell in love with a white cap at a local pet store... And my pionus passion was realighted.

So today it is officially a reality; I put a deposit down on a Maxi hen! Her hatch date is July 15 so she will not be coming home til mid October, but I am so excited! It is a local breeder and I thought I would not be getting one til next season as they were all already reserved, but someone's deposit didn't come through and they were being indecisive so I am in! He also has white caps, blue heads, and duskys but I really love the Maxis. Eloy on here has shown me how stunning they are, plus I just plain like them. He doesn't have bronze wings but I think another would just remind me too much of her.

I will post pics as soon as he sends them. YAY!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats! I think I might know what breeder you are buying from since not many people breed Duskies (he charges $1200 for them though :eek:). I bet you will be very happy to have a pionus again. :heart:

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thank you!!! He does charge 1200 for the duskies... I understand since they are pretty hard to find (love them too) but the white cap they had at Pet Supermarket by me was listed for, yes, "1,199$"! And she sold. Probably by some poor sucker like me however I didn't exactly have that much laying around at the time.

I did have him put me on the waiting list for the white caps and duskies but really wanted a maxi. What happened must be meant. He charges more for the males because more people want them due to being more likely to talk but that doesn't matter to me... Plus my African Grey gives me all the talking I can take!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ah, I think females are really the gems. They are sweet and steady, even if they aren't big talkers. Duskies are hard to find but personally I think it is in part due to lack of demand, which is why he might have trouble selling them for $1200. It seems people want BHPs and Maxis more than any other species.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Before I ever had a "real" parrot (had budgies and still have an 18+ yo cockatiel) and decided on a pionus... Duskies were my number one. Was in contact with a breeder, ready to send a payment, and never heard back. I'm glad because I ended up with my Bebe who I bought at a year old from private owners who "decided pionus wasn't for them" (I still question who wouldn't want such a wonderful bird) and she was my love. Bronze wings will always hold a special part of my heart but I did always like Maxis and am so excited. I've never had a baby bird before and am looking forward to watching her grow!

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have a blue head and a bronze wing and some day would love a dusky - from what I have heard they are difficult to breed, more so than the other Pis which is why they are much less common

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
As promised here are a couple pics!! The bigger ones are the females, the two males hatched later (the one about ten days later and the breeder didn't think he would!) all so cute. I wish I could take them all!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Shannon! I didn't know you lost Bebe. I'm so, so, sorry! :(
But at the same time I'm so happy that you decided to get a new Pi, and this time a Maxi.
They are adorable, and I looking forward to see more pics.
And welcome back! So nice to see you again. :heart:

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Thanks everyone for the kind comments! Eloy, it took me a long time to even be able to talk about her loss. It's so unfair such a young and loving life ended and I will always mourn her. But I am glad to be able to offer a loving home to another pionus and am excited for the journey of bringing up baby! I rescued my CAG and it is a wonderful experience but this is another that is new to me.

The breeder takes new photos every week, so anxious to see how they grow and feather in. I'm glad they are still young as this gives me plenty of time to prepare. I will admit I kind of winged it getting Bebe... I did buy a cage but it ended up being far smaller than I anticipated, and in the process of returning it I found her ad and couldn't pass her up. She lived on a play stand happily, a little TOO happily as she cockily began "ruling the roost" flying wherever she liked, out of reach, rather exuberantly!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
the white cap they had at Pet Supermarket by me was listed for, yes, "1,199$"! And she sold. Probably by some poor sucker like me however I didn't exactly have that much laying around at the time.
!
Did it? Awww. I liked that one. They offered it for 20% off so maybe the buyer got a deal.
Congrats on your new baby-to-be. I'm crazy about my Pi.

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Where do you live finchly? Thanks for the comments everyone! Supposed to be getting an updated photo today or tomorrow of the little ones :).

atomicfriday

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Shannon
Too awesome! I am just a hop and a skip in Englewood.

I received some updated photos today! Still not sure which one is mine but I'll be equally as happy with either one. The males are just too cute too.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
They are adorable! :heart:

JudiNH

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Judi
Oh my goodness..they are so adorable! Congratulations. So happy for you!